Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Dec 2011 (Sunday) 10:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Some advise regarding DSLR purchase

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 11, 2011 10:22 |  #1

I would like to ask the experts if it is worth it for me to purchase a DSLR camera with maybe a total of 2 lenses. I have a budget of 2k for camera and lenses. Note, video is a nice to have but not a big deal for me.

My background: I am retired. My first real camera was an OM-1 which I had for about 5 years and lost everything in a fire. Never did replace it and have used point and shoot cameras ever since. The canon S2IS, Panasonic Lumix FZ35 and Sony DSC-H55 have been my last three camera purchases.

I take mostly indoor family photos and the wildlife from the back porch. I have not been real happy with the results given from my two super zooms. Great range but with lots of noise and terrible in low light situations.

I was thinking of picking up a Canon T3I body with the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5 - 4.5 USM for inside work (I have found 25mm is not always quite wide enough). This lens would be a 16-35mm on the T3i. Would I have to deal with any fisheye effect at the lowest end? For the wildlife I think I would try the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM as I can’t afford the f2.8 versions. I would also add a 3rd party 1.6x TC for additional range, but not sure how bad it would affect the IQ (this would bust the budget).

Also, I do not use any software to enhance my pictures, other than what comes with the camera. Not sure I would like to start getting involved with that, unless it is truly idiot proof.

So with all that said, do I save my money and pickup a Lumix FZ150 or Canon SX40 and live with low light issues. Or will I get a significant improvement in IQ and low light capability with the DSLR staying within my budget?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

jbrackjr

Jim
Gear List

sponsored links
racketman
Cream of the Crop
21,003 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 11, 2011 10:46 |  #2

Canon 10-22mm is a great lens and you wont get any pronounced fish eye effect to deal with. I would get at least Photoshop Elements, very straightforward to use.
With the right lenses image quality will be significantly better than opting for the latest superzoom models.

If you are really not concerned with video you could get a second hand 40D for £300 which would leave more for the tele lens.

Toby
Canon 5D MKIV
Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

nikmar08
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 11, 2011 10:53 |  #3

I used to have a SX10 IS a while ago and I used to be mighty pleased with it, the SX models now-a-days do an even better job. More important than the significant improvement in picture quality (which a lot depends on the user), is the control a DSLR provides to the user.

If I were you, I would have tried T3i + Tamron 17-50 / Sigma 17-50 / Canon 18-55 + Canon 55-250 + a flash. Now is a very good time to buy as there are rebates on lot of stuff. If you are not able to buy now, buy used lenses so you don't end up losing much in case you decide later that the improvement is not significant enough for a retired person to justify the remaining invested.

Finally, with DSLRs, you are going to lose a lot if you do not make use of the ability to edit RAW format files instead of the out-of-camera files. For that, you get software along with your camera which is good enough for starters, albeit intimidating for some in the beginning but once you start learning it, it all starts falling in place.

____O
__( \ \_
((_)/ ((_)
Nikhil | Gear List & Market Feedback | Flickr (external link)
Support POTN by donating here: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Laouik
136 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 11, 2011 10:57 |  #4

Unless you want the swivel LCD screen and "creative filters", I would suggest saving some coin and going for the T2i. Everything else is the same.

As for the lens, going to a "pro" store where they have them available to try would be the best bet. I no longer buy a lens until I try it.

Laouik (external link)
You want to see my gear? I thought you'd want to see my pictures...

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,592 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 11, 2011 11:02 |  #5

jbrackjr wrote in post #13526837 (external link)
I would like to ask the experts if it is worth it for me to purchase a DSLR camera with maybe a total of 2 lenses. I have a budget of 2k for camera and lenses. Note, video is a nice to have but not a big deal for me.

My background: I am retired. My first real camera was an OM-1 which I had for about 5 years and lost everything in a fire. Never did replace it and have used point and shoot cameras ever since. The canon S2IS, Panasonic Lumix FZ35 and Sony DSC-H55 have been my last three camera purchases.

I take mostly indoor family photos and the wildlife from the back porch. I have not been real happy with the results given from my two super zooms. Great range but with lots of noise and terrible in low light situations.

I was thinking of picking up a Canon T3I body with the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5 - 4.5 USM for inside work (I have found 25mm is not always quite wide enough). This lens would be a 16-35mm on the T3i. Would I have to deal with any fisheye effect at the lowest end?

No. The 10-22 is a rectilinear zoom, which means that straight lines will remain straight, more or less, whereas with a fisheye only lines going through the optical centre (mid point of the frame) will stay straight.

Of course, getting very close to people or any other subject will give some distortion, the same as if you would get extremely close to people or tother subjects yourself. Towards the corners things will be stretched out, but that is normal.

For the wildlife I think I would try the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM as I can’t afford the f2.8 versions. I would also add a 3rd party 1.6x TC for additional range, but not sure how bad it would affect the IQ (this would bust the budget).

It will likely be better than with any superzoom compact, but you will lose autofocus with such a combination. AF will not work beyond F/5.6 on a T3i. I'd suggest you forego the converter for now, unless you really find you are missing the extra reach. Effectively, with the 70-300, you will have a reach of 480 mm FF equivalent, which is quite a lot, generally considered to be enough for most wildlife shots, except maybe birding.

Also, I do not use any software to enhance my pictures, other than what comes with the camera. Not sure I would like to start getting involved with that, unless it is truly idiot proof.

Since it doesn't write back to RAW files, I suggest you always shoot both RAW and jpeg, no problems whatsoever in that case. It is fairly easy to work with, however :D.

So with all that said, do I save my money and pickup a Lumix FZ150 or Canon SX40 and live with low light issues. Or will I get a significant improvement in IQ and low light capability with the DSLR staying within my budget?

Yes, you will get a major improvement imagewise, it makes for quite a difference.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

jbrackjr

BTW, one final remark: make sure you also get yourself the 18-55 IS kit lens with the T3i. This will give you a lens for normal situations too, and as a kit it adds little to nothing to the camera pricewise. Furthermore, this will give you coverage from 10-300 mm in almost continuous fashion - the 56 to 69 mm gap you will likely not miss at all - that's about one step forward or backward in most cases.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

5D Mk II & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & a solitary zoom, OM-D E-M1 Mk II, Pen-F & Panasonic GM5 with 11 primes, 8 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 11, 2011 12:10 |  #6

For $1420, you can get the following at B&H Photo:

1. Canon T2i
  2. Canon EF-S 18-55mm
  3. Canon EF-S 55-250mm
  4. Canon EF-S 10-22mm

That will leave you almost $600 for accessories - bags, tripod, filters, memory cards, etc. You can switch the UWA zoom for a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 if you want to use it in lower light. I'm sure you can build a similar kit around the Nikon D5100 which will allow you to get some good cheap primes: 35mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.8.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,893 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 11, 2011 12:38 |  #7

jbrackjr, you don't mention where you live bit if it the States, and if you still have that Canon S2IS, you should consider moving beyond the T2i or T3i and go right to the 60D using the Canon Loyalty Program. You can get the 60D body for about $640 and for not too much more get it with the 18-55mm (although not my favorite). I personally think it a better camera than the "T's" and once you use the articulating you'll agree it is quite useful. Details at https://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php​?t=948785.
Basically you trade in a Canon digital product and then you get 20% off Canon's refurbished price. The refurb product comes with a 90-day guarantee and a 2-week (I think) return policy. After putting some special software on an old PC I was able to "poke around" in the camera and the shutter count was 42 or 45. My 60D was for all essential purposes new.

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 11, 2011 13:45 |  #8

Personally, I'd opt for a little different for a basic setup.
1.Canon T3i or 60D
2.Canon EF-S 18-135mm (like the range so much better than the 18-55 )
3.Canon EF-S 55-250mm
4.Canon EF-S 10-22mm
5.Canon 430 EXII or Canon 580 EXII flash for when you truly need it.
And a good sturdy tripod and either a remote or cable release. Forego the TC's on any reasonably cheap lenses.
For things that don't stand still, like wildlife, a DSLR will focus significantly faster than any of the superzooms or bridge cameras.. IQ will be a bit better too.

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

sponsored links

899 views & 0 likes for this thread
Some advise regarding DSLR purchase
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.