Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Dec 2011 (Monday) 10:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why This Forum Is Costing Me (More) Money

melauer
207 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 12, 2011 12:46 |  #16

bps wrote in post #13532034 (external link)
Welcome to a very, very slippery slope!

Paved with glass, if you will.

sponsored links
Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 12, 2011 12:55 |  #17

melauer wrote in post #13532669 (external link)

And it leads straight to marital hell? :lol:

Photography is the art of exclusion

lawdog2k
960 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 12, 2011 13:00 |  #18

General_T wrote in post #13531995 (external link)
Telling myself that this was all I needed to enjoy the photography I was learning/doing.

But then along came POTN and...

But then along comes POTN...

Now, I haven't told my wife yet - one dilema at a time. Thank heaven shes out of town at the moment!!

wfarrell4 wrote in post #13532416 (external link)
I've spent nearly $8k in 5 months of shooting. Gear is kewl.

Wlecome to the slippery slope....I've been sliding gradually for a year and really fell of the wagon in the last month....;)

A guy with a couple cameras, some lenses, and accoutrements
Freelance for Magazines
Gear&Feedback | Flickr (external link) | Website (external link)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 12, 2011 13:08 |  #19

Ferrari_Alex wrote in post #13532541 (external link)
I recently spent wayyy tooo much time here talking lenses....
If you will go to a photography websites, suck as www.1x.com (external link), you will be exposed to the art and lot's of great photographs - this is really why you purchased the gear, no?
SO go there and spend all of your time there.....you will become a batter photographer vs a better lens expert.
My personal advise.
By the way, I started several thread on 1x.com on how people achieve great results and what is the gear they are using - noone really responded. People don't care....the only thing that matters is the end result.

I would probably refrain from using the imagery of one website as the global reference for the definition of what photography is about. Remember that some professional photographers shoot crime scenes or real estate or hospital workers which really continues to show how diverse the applications of photography really are. As far as being left brained or right brained about photography why not celebrate the differences rather than try to corral everyone to see the way you see? There are lots of artists out there and I am pretty sure they are not all represented by your web portal of choice. I had a quick view of this website and there are some nice images but in general it looks a lot like many art based websites and there are thousands of them; not necessarily collections of multiple artists.

misty66
Goldmember
4,210 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 12, 2011 13:08 as a reply to  @ lawdog2k's post |  #20

Yeah congrats on the lens...it is geart lust and I for one love it, More than.......chocolate :p

Please call me Sandra
My girls (external link)
hutfotografie (external link)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 12, 2011 13:15 |  #21

melauer wrote in post #13532669 (external link)

some of it broken, some of it smooth, and all of it slippery!

Ferrari_Alex
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 12, 2011 13:18 |  #22

I am simply not aware of any one single place with so many quality photographs - all of them are very carefully selected and screened and only then published. I am sure there are many photographers...with stunning work, but like I said - I am not aware of any other single place.

But this is not the reason. Reason I posted this is different.
You might not agree, but people here invest a lot of money and in many cases they do not have them - they borrow from the bank, to purchase the gear....more gear....to photograph what?

And again, not trying to generalize, but when people will read, they will know what I am referring to...and who I am referring to.

P.S. There are many categories at 1x.com, many different galleries. Many landscape, nature, documentary, street photography. Some are creative edits, some are heaving edited...some are not at all.

jetcode wrote in post #13532792 (external link)
I would probably refrain from using the imagery of one website as the global reference for the definition of what photography is about. Remember that some professional photographers shoot crime scenes or real estate or hospital workers which really continues to show how diverse the applications of photography really are. As far as being left brained or right brained about photography why not celebrate the differences rather than try to corral everyone to see the way you see? There are lots of artists out there and I am pretty sure they are not all represented by your web portal of choice. I had a quick view of this website and there are some nice images but in general it looks a lot like many other websites out there.

Alex || www.dylikowski.com (external link)

m.shalaby
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 12, 2011 13:18 as a reply to  @ post 13532552 |  #23

Just wait till yous start reading up on the 35L, 50L, 85L and so on... cheers :)

Ferrari_Alex
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 12, 2011 13:25 |  #24

m.shalaby wrote in post #13532873 (external link)
Just wait till yous start reading up on the 35L, 50L, 85L and so on... cheers :)

I made a promise not to:-) Only now will post about photography itself:-)

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 12, 2011 13:28 |  #25

Hi m.shalaby,

yes, I have read up on those...but the only lens I feel a need for now is the 100mm macro...and thats it.....I think:D

Those should keep me gainfully employed for a good while.

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

lawdog2k
960 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 12, 2011 13:30 |  #26

m.shalaby wrote in post #13532873 (external link)

Great. A new foray for spending my hard earned bread. Oh, the promised land is always on the other side of the fence.

A guy with a couple cameras, some lenses, and accoutrements
Freelance for Magazines
Gear&Feedback | Flickr (external link) | Website (external link)

intence01
144 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 12, 2011 13:53 |  #27

Keep in mind you had better 5D MKII prices for some time in Canada, before we saw those lower prices in the US.

Smaller market and less competition means that some goods may be priced a bit higher.

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 12, 2011 14:05 as a reply to  @ intence01's post |  #28

I hear you. This forum is costing me money also. I am a portrait photographer. I wanted the 24mm f/1.4, but could not afford it at this time. This forum told me how great the 400mm f/5.6 was and that it was on sale. So, after listening to thousands of you, I bought it, and love it. Great portrait lens. lol. Then, the lens I really wanted, went on sale, until the first of the year. I still want it, but cannot afford to buy it. Do not want to spend $3k in 3 months. My hair is receding now, instead of getting grayer. What is a senior citizen to do?

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

Ferrari_Alex
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 12, 2011 14:36 |  #29

Nicksan3 wrote in post #13533153 (external link)
I hear you. This forum is costing me money also. I am a portrait photographer. I wanted the 24mm f/1.4, but could not afford it at this time. This forum told me how great the 400mm f/5.6 was and that it was on sale. So, after listening to thousands of you, I bought it, and love it. Great portrait lens. lol. Then, the lens I really wanted, went on sale, until the first of the year. I still want it, but cannot afford to buy it. Do not want to spend $3k in 3 months. My hair is receding now, instead of getting grayer. What is a senior citizen to do?

share some shots:-)

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 12, 2011 14:38 |  #30

now you need some fast primes :P

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

sponsored links

8,703 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why This Forum Is Costing Me (More) Money
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.