Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 12 Dec 2011 (Monday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Telescope Suggestions

Gometang
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 12, 2011 22:20 |  #1

Hi,

I am new to astrophotography and was wondering what telescope would be a good starter for me. I am not new to photography, but I know I have quite a bit to learn regarding taking night shots of the sky with some of my primes lens and learning about longer exposures and layering. I still need to get some shooting time in, but I want to know what is a good starter telescope once I feel more comfortable with it.

Any suggestions and recommendations?

Thanks,

Gome

sponsored links
cyberon
540 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 13, 2011 03:40 |  #2

An ED80 triplet, best starter scope for astrophotography!

500D, Speedlite 430EX II, Lens : 15-85mm; 50mm F1.8 II; 100mm F2.8L IS Macro; 70-200mm F4L; Samyang 8mm F3.5
U/W : G11, OEM Housing, Inon S2000, Inon D4 Tray, Inon UCL-165 Close up lens
Astro : Modded 1100D, ES 80ED, Skywatcher HEQ5 Mount, Astrotrac TT320X-AG, Astronomik CLS Clip in filter

spit
311 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 13, 2011 07:39 |  #3

doesnt matter- any quality APO, newt or sct will do matching up to your camera, what matters is the mount and guiding system

cyberon
540 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 13, 2011 08:34 |  #4

I got my Explore Scientific ED80 triplet complete with illuminated finder, diagonal, eyepiece and case for under US$800

500D, Speedlite 430EX II, Lens : 15-85mm; 50mm F1.8 II; 100mm F2.8L IS Macro; 70-200mm F4L; Samyang 8mm F3.5
Astro : Modded 1100D, ES 80ED, Skywatcher HEQ5 Mount, Astrotrac TT320X-AG, Astronomik CLS Clip in filter

waassaabee
323 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 13, 2011 11:29 |  #5

IMHO a good used Celestron CG5-ASGT and the 80mm triplett mentioned above would be a fine start. I never advise spending lots of $$ to anyone just starting out. Some soak tons in to a rig then realize the hobby is not for them. The CG5 is a good, reliable mount that will track well with the 80mm. Keep to a shorter focal length when learning as the are lots more forgiving that a longer focal length SC..

Gary
My Images on Flickr! (external link)
5D, 40D, 17-40L, Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX, 70-200L f4
Hypercams modded T1i, AT65EDQ, AT8RC
CGEM, miniBorg50, SBIG ST-i, lots of wires.

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 13, 2011 11:48 as a reply to  @ spit's post |  #6

Absolutely the most important component for any AP set-up is the mount. That is the foundation to everything!

As for telescopes, you will have to be careful with some mass marketed Newtonian Reflectors when used with a DSLR. Due the the size of the sensor and the focal ratio of some reflectors it is impossible to get proper focus. There are however Newtonians made specifically for AP with DSLRs.

My recommendation would be very similar to waassaabee, unless you are absolutely positive you will get seriously involved with AP.

For now these might help.

An Introduction to Astronomy Photography and its various methods
http://www.scribd.com …y=key-gnoflczzrljkxl1qzzd (external link)

Introduction to DSLR astrophotography
http://www.scribd.com …y=key-gnoflczzrljkxl1qzzd (external link)

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

Gometang
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 13, 2011 12:07 |  #7

Thanks fellas. It's amazing how different this is; at least different from people photography, yet vast in knowledge and information regarding astronomy in general. I'm scared I might get too far into this lol.

Also, I have a 5dm2; would the Explore Scientific ED80 triplet work with this in terms of sensor size you mentioned?

cyberon
540 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 13, 2011 16:27 |  #8

Yes, any ED80 triplet will work with any DSLR. You need a T adapter for it, better still get a 2" adapter since you have a FF sensor.

waassaabee
323 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 13, 2011 16:56 |  #9

Gometang wrote in post #13538375 (external link)
Thanks fellas. It's amazing how different this is; at least different from people photography, yet vast in knowledge and information regarding astronomy in general. I'm scared I might get too far into this lol.

Also, I have a 5dm2; would the Explore Scientific ED80 triplet work with this in terms of sensor size you mentioned?

I usually tell people that are interested in taking up astrophotography to abandon all hope and hide the credit cards...:cool:

Gary
My Images on Flickr! (external link)
5D, 40D, 17-40L, Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX, 70-200L f4
Hypercams modded T1i, AT65EDQ, AT8RC
CGEM, miniBorg50, SBIG ST-i, lots of wires.

HDR ­ Fan
98 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 15, 2011 12:33 |  #10

I was looking at this scope recently. I like it. I may grab it at some point. Also I love the Max Headroom Avatar. Not many people remember that show. He is funny, and that actor is great on Eureka now. He was also in another show I liked way back when called Doctor Doctor. Short lived though.

waassaabee wrote in post #13538151 (external link)
IMHO a good used Celestron CG5-ASGT and the 80mm triplett mentioned above would be a fine start. I never advise spending lots of $$ to anyone just starting out. Some soak tons in to a rig then realize the hobby is not for them. The CG5 is a good, reliable mount that will track well with the 80mm. Keep to a shorter focal length when learning as the are lots more forgiving that a longer focal length SC..

T2i - EF 70-200 F4L IS / EF-S 18-55mm / Nifty Fifty / Manfrotto 293 / Hoya ND 9-3-2 stops /CS5/

sponsored links

1,712 views & 0 likes for this thread
Telescope Suggestions
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.