Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Softbox - quick question

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 13, 2011 14:59 |  #1

So I took this picture the other day using a small softbox - I think it's 16x24 or so. It was pretty close to the subject:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7167/6502179399_4cab60323c_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/12276287@N05/6​502179399/  (external link)
Farewell (external link) by Erik Lauritsen (external link), on Flickr

However, I can't help but feel the light is pretty damn harsh. The black bar at the bottom is due to using 1/320 (intentional). I've never had a lot of luck lighting small things with a softbox and getting actual soft light. Should I use a smaller softbox even closer, or a larger one but a little further away?

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

sponsored links
hawkeye63
21 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 13, 2011 15:01 |  #2

The larger the light source the softer the light. The closer the subject is to the light, the larger the light source is relative to the object.

Erik_L
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 13, 2011 15:03 |  #3

hawkeye63 wrote in post #13539307 (external link)
The larger the light source the softer the light. The closer the subject is to the light, the larger the light source is relative to the object.

I figured as much, but I can only move the light so-close before it gets in the picture. Is having a light 10x the size of the subject, 1 foot away really any better than one 1/4 the size?

Canon EOS 1D III
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Dec 13, 2011 15:04 |  #4

Erik_L wrote in post #13539315 (external link)
I figured as much, but I can only move the light so-close before it gets in the picture. Is having a light 10x the size of the subject, 1 foot away really any better than one 1/4 the size?

Better depends on what you want, but it will certainly be softer.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,140 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 13, 2011 15:05 |  #5

Your best option is a larger source closer to the camera. The key is apparent size, which is a combination of size and distance (sun is huge, but far away=Small light source). We cant tell you without more information which of those two options would give you the softest light. The problem with your sample photo is that its contrasty and full of hard edges so softness or hardness of light can be less certain.

JOSX2
627 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 13, 2011 15:07 |  #6

hawkeye63 wrote in post #13539307 (external link)

x2 on what hawkeye said.

But also (& someone please correct me if I'm wrong)...the closer the light source, the harsher the contrast between light & dark will be too, so that'd produce harsher shadows. The further away, the contrast lessens to soften the shadows. Inverse Square law: http://www.adorama.com …erse-Square-Law-AdoramaTV (external link). Fast forward to 4:15

You'd prolly want a larger lightsource further away from your subject

website: Jim O'Sullivan Photography (external link) | Facebook (external link)
The Camera:  |- Gripped 60D  -|- EF-S 50mm f/1.8 II -|- Canon 24-70mm f/4 -|- Canon 70-200 f/4 -|
Speedlights:   |- 3 Yongnou YN600EX-RT Speedlights -|- YN-E3-RT Transmitter -|
Studio Strobes:  |- Alien Bee B800 & B1600 -|- CyberSync Wireless system -|

Erik_L
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 13, 2011 15:53 |  #7

JOSX2 wrote in post #13539333 (external link)
x2 on what hawkeye said.

But also (& someone please correct me if I'm wrong)...the closer the light source, the harsher the contrast between light & dark will be too, so that'd produce harsher shadows. The further away, the contrast lessens to soften the shadows. Inverse Square law: http://www.adorama.com …erse-Square-Law-AdoramaTV (external link). Fast forward to 4:15

You'd prolly want a larger lightsource further away from your subject

Ah. Sounds good. This makes a lot of sense... unless of course someone says you're wrong, in which case - shut up! :D

I'll tinker a bit - Seemed like I was losing "dynamic range" and this would explain it best. Thanks!

For example, this picture:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1021.photobuck​et.com …/af339/smrndmgu​y/5DII.jpg (external link)

It was lit with the bare flash pointed 45 degrees at the opposite wall/celing and appears a lot softer to me, other than the shadow to the immediate left side of the camera.... and you can just ignore those blown highlights :)

And yes, my room is painted 18% grey :D

Canon EOS 1D III
Flick (external link)r

JOSX2
627 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 13, 2011 16:14 |  #8

Erik_L wrote in post #13539566 (external link)
It was lit with the bare flash pointed 45 degrees at the opposite wall/celing and appears a lot softer to me, other than the shadow to the immediate left side of the camera.... and you can just ignore those blown highlights :)

yup...that's cause the wall/ceiling is a huge light source in comparison to the subject & is further away, giving you some nice soft light that's not very contrasty

website: Jim O'Sullivan Photography (external link) | Facebook (external link)
The Camera:  |- Gripped 60D  -|- EF-S 50mm f/1.8 II -|- Canon 24-70mm f/4 -|- Canon 70-200 f/4 -|
Speedlights:   |- 3 Yongnou YN600EX-RT Speedlights -|- YN-E3-RT Transmitter -|
Studio Strobes:  |- Alien Bee B800 & B1600 -|- CyberSync Wireless system -|

sponsored links

1,391 views & 0 likes for this thread
Softbox - quick question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.