Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Dec 2011 (Wednesday) 12:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

They have got to be kidding!!

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 14, 2011 16:41 |  #46

Just noticed this thread.
I live in ripoff Britain - but please don't feel any sympathy for me! Why - because my local(ish) high street camera shop at worst equals the big UK box shifters and (when I catch them at a good time) make grey imports from Hong Kong look really pricey! For example my latest purchase was a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5 x 42 Binoculars for £400+ (about $600 US) less than I could find them on Flea Bay and no risk of extra taxes to pay as they are an official import. Good used ones over here were about £300 more expensive. Not all my deals are that good, when I got my 1D4 they could only just match the best prices I could get at the time, but then they did chuck in a spare battery for luck.
Now please can I have your sympathy - they have had ALL my money!

Me? I will shop local.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links
Amamba
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 14, 2011 18:02 |  #47

The old excuse "well we're a brick & mortar shop so our costs are higher" really infuriates me lately. And it's not just photo equipment. Some other hobby of mine - an $500 item that I ordered online was anywhere between $550 and 650 locally. Well guess what... that other store I ordered from is also a B&M store in another state - so they also have to pay for lease, display related expenses etc.

Same thing with Adorama and B&H. They are not some online sites shipping from remote warehouses. They are real brick and mortar stores, that happen to be located in a pretty expensive real estate. I was at Adorama and their level of customer service and in-store order processing are nothing short of spectacular. I was told that B&H is much bigger. The difference between them and Ritz Camera or some other overpriced local store ? They figured out internet sales early on, they have good pricing and good customer service, and they make money on selling a lot and selling well, not just on inflating prices & hoping for a sucker.

I would have no problem paying 10-15% more for an item if I could go to the local store and get great service and knowledgeable advice. Unfortunately lots of times it's more like 30%-50% more, clueless and arrogant staff, and old shady selling techniques. The only "local" photo store I can think of that has OK prices and great CS is some 90 miles away.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

alvinkclee
496 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 14, 2011 18:09 |  #48

deedub35 wrote in post #13544758 (external link)
Hey. I'm in Kelowna. Around here we have Lens and Shutter, Best Buy, Future Shop, and London Drugs. I know from online comparisons that Memory Express seems always to be the cheapest but they don't have a store here. I've bought a few items from B&H. I save enough to make it worth while. Plus it gets to me in about 5 to 6 days. I choose the Purolator option and pay the duties. However it the above post is true, next time I'll chance it and pay the duties myself.

oh hey, thx so much for your reply!!! i drove by Memory Express today (googled and was surprised to find they have a B&M store near my house lol) and sadly the manager told me the best price he could give me was $2300CDN and then the 12% sales tax on top so... $2576CDN for the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS mark II

$2576 is more than i want to pay for that lens so... i think i am gonna roll the dice w/ an american e-tailer like B&H or Adorama... hopefully it goes well lol *crosses fingers*

~ http://www.alvinkclee.​com/ (external link)

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 14, 2011 18:14 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

I can't see there being an issue, I've bought and sold a lot of expensive equipment and items internationally and never once had an issue other than customs holding items for a long time.

19 year old photographer with a 5D, and some L glass.
500px - Jamesr (external link)
Graphic Design Services Offered

N.O.R.E.
763 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 14, 2011 18:25 as a reply to  @ Shadow on the Door's post |  #50

Some stuff is weird though for example a new Nikon D700 is about $2700 in the states when it can be had for about $2300 in Canada. But most everything else is cheaper to get from teh US. I just gave a local shop a chance and bought a Sigma 50mm which came to $630 (sells for about $500 in the US) and the bull**** service I am getting with it needing warranty is enough to never buy locally again. :mad:

FlickR (external link)
blog: www.tompiprek.com (external link)

Raylon
Goldmember
1,078 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 14, 2011 18:29 |  #51

To add another good Brick n' Mortar story, I was looking to buy my 7D about a year ago. Amazon had a deal for the 7D with 28-135 for $1600, not to mention a free PIXMA Pro 9000 printer. So with this knowledge, I head to the local camera store hoping to get a competitive price. Holy crap was I wrong.

I knew the price would be a little more, but for the same kit with no printer it was $2100! I fondled the 7D for a while and absolutely loved it, but I just couldnt get over the price they wanted. I bluntly told the guy working there "I'm having a real hard time justifying buying this for over $500 more than from Amazon. Why should I buy from you?" He said if something was wrong I could bring the camera back and get an immediate replacement.

Ok fair enough. But being an Amazon prime member, I can literally have another 7D from Amazon next day, and get free shipping back for the broken one, so that one day difference isn't a real biggy for me. I also told them this fact. Then he went on to describe the free 100 prints I would receive. Oh boy. That's like what, $20 addition tops? Also displayed my disinterest in this. Then he got real excited and started saying how I got to have a free class through them. This I was like okay I hope it's good...

Yea it was basically camera's 101. What is a camera? What is aperture? What is shutter speed? And after telling me these things he stopped being so excited and said something like "But if you are getting a 7D you probably know these things already..." That's a big yep. I thanked him for his time and placed my order at Amazon...

7D l Canon 70-200 f/4L IS l Canon 85mm f/1.8 l ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 l Canon 50mm f/1.8 II l S95
Full Gear List and Marketplace Feedback
My SmugMug (external link)

deedub35
63 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 14, 2011 19:30 |  #52

alvinkclee wrote in post #13545914 (external link)
i think i am gonna roll the dice w/ an american e-tailer like B&H or Adorama... hopefully it goes well lol *crosses fingers*

If you deal with a reputable dealer like B&H there will be no rolling the dice. They send you multiple e-mails keeping you in the loop plus a tracking number for Purolator. If you pay the duty and taxes upfront then there will be no surprises when the delivery guy knocks on your door. In the past 2 months I have made 2 purchases with them. Both items arrived at my door within a week.

60D w/ BG-E9 | EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 (converted to macro) | 430EX II

StarTzar
426 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 14, 2011 19:41 |  #53

Apricane wrote in post #13544596 (external link)
Hehe ok, personally I can't justify paying 70$ extra on shipping just to be sure to have it in two days... since it's usually what it takes anyway, or three at most.

No duties on lenses you say? That's interesting, since when I order from B&H they charge me something like 5$ for duties... I think next time I order something I'll choose to pay duties myself instead of having B&H do it, see what happens. Who did you check with at Customs to get the info?

There are no duties on Cameras lenses. The extra $5 that you are paying are brokerage disbursement and security handling fees.

For example, if you were to purchase a Canon 100-400 from B&H, the total cost for duties and taxes would be: ( the lens is on sale for $1439.00)

GST: $71.95
Brokerage: $1.56
Disbursement: $2.16
Security & Handling: $1.00

Purolator would charge you $18.02 for shipping

The total cost for the lens including shipping and duties and taxes is $1533.69
(You then factor in the exchange rate)

The extra $4.56 is a whole lot cheaper than having to clear customs yourself.

.... and just to compare with the best price for the same lens in Canada

Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM ** Sale Price ** $1,679.99
Shipping $37.21
Subtotal $1,717.20
GST/HST (5%) $85.86
Total $1,803.06

But, if I were to purchase a Sigma 120-300 2.8 OS......
In Canada, it is $200 cheaper than the listed B&H price and I get a Ten Year Warranty.

deedub35
63 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 14, 2011 20:14 as a reply to  @ StarTzar's post |  #54

My last purchase was the 50mm f/1.4 and hood cover.

Looking at the invoice ...

Subtotal $366.95
Shipping and handling $9.42
Duties and taxes $56.35
Total $432.72

Assuming I pay tax on shipping the HST (12%) would then be $45.16 leaving a difference of $11.19 for all the import related charges. All in all a good deal!

60D w/ BG-E9 | EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 (converted to macro) | 430EX II

Randy ­ Digby
237 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 14, 2011 21:28 as a reply to  @ deedub35's post |  #55

I just opened my new EF 70-20 L ? 2.8 IS USM II - same as the OP - about an hour ago. Same here, ordered it Monday and got it today via UPS. I went to the local Wolf store last weekend just looking around and the salesman said that he would match Adorama's price - only difference is that I would still have to pay another 7% sales tax if I purchased local. When I finally decided to pull the trigger Monday, I went to the Adorama site and the lens was listed at something around $2,199.00 and I thought I was too late. I went to the Canon Price Watch site and it showed Adorama still had it at $1,974.00. I clicked their link and it carried me to a Adorama page with the sale price. I cn't wait until the sun comes up tomorrow. I've taken about all the pictures of our Christmas tree that I can tonight and am already in love with this lens.

Got a camera, some cheap glass, one nice glass, a PC which doubles as my darkroom and a lot to learn - and having fun learning.
Taking a picture is like planting a memory, it grows more beautiful with time.

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,807 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 14, 2011 21:56 |  #56

Last year I was going to buy 70-200F4 in USA. Find it under same price locally at Best Buy, it went on sale. Later last year was searching for 28-75 2.8, find cheaper price compare to USA just west from our town. Local dealer with e-bay store. 6 years Canadian warranty included.
5D MKII was (is) on huge sale here.
I think they all could keep price as low as in USA, but they just don't want to.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

wrxrocks
410 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 14, 2011 22:51 |  #57

I bought my 70-200 f2.8 IS ii from amazon I paid $1970 included tax and shipping. I find and pay as little as possible. Why does anybody want to pay more using your hard earned $$ is beyond me?

50D with ef 16-35ii, ef 24-105L f4 IS, my new lover 70-200L f2.8 IS ii, 35L f1.4, EF 85L F1.2 mark ii, 400L F5.6

skywalkee
63 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 15, 2011 00:03 |  #58

hum...no duty for camera lens!! That's very interesting. But we still have to pay for tax when crossing the border and that's pretty hurt since the HST is 12% in Vancouver!!!
At least 5D2's price has been marked down to $1999 for more than one month while price in US were still high back then lol....

I wish we can pay the same price as US on vehicles too.........

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,052 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Dec 15, 2011 00:29 |  #59

StarTzar wrote in post #13546284 (external link)
. . .
But, if I were to purchase a Sigma 120-300 2.8 OS......
In Canada, it is $200 cheaper than the listed B&H price and I get a Ten Year Warranty.

Does anyone know why this is? Why does Sigma offer better deals to Canadian customers? I'm quite curious.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

StarTzar
426 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 15, 2011 06:12 |  #60

Tom Reichner wrote in post #13547567 (external link)
Does anyone know why this is? Why does Sigma offer better deals to Canadian customers? I'm quite curious.

.....and why does Canon offer better deals (Lower price on lenses) to American customers? I'm also quite curious.

sponsored links

8,612 views & 0 likes for this thread
They have got to be kidding!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.