Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 15 Dec 2011 (Thursday) 14:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Request by bride to not display any photos...

jag64551
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 15, 2011 14:35 |  #1

I have come across something that I haven't dealt with before, and wanted to get thoughts on it. I apologize if this is somewhere else in the forum - I couldn't find it.

I am about to book a wedding for next year (check in hand), and after meeting with the bride, she emailed me and asked me to include in the agreement that I am going to send her, a section stating that I will not display her photos anywhere (online, public portfolio, etc). Typically I have a section that states that I DO have rights to do such a thing.

I am not about to make a federal case out of it, and if this is a normal thing, I will just say "No problem". However, as a relatively new wedding photographer, not being able to display anything from a given wedding really hinders my ability to continue growing my client-base. A perfect example is that this bride in particular got in touch with me after seeing photos I did for one of her old friends.

Anyway, I just wanted to get some advice from those who have dealt with this in the past. Do you just say "Ok, no problem", do you try and loosen those reigns a little for some flexibility (maybe stating "No wedding photography will be displayed in a public area without prior consent by the client"), or you do stand firm and say that is part of the package? Should something like this affect the price at all?

Thanks!

sponsored links
mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 15, 2011 14:38 |  #2

I think you have to explain that the images are your copyright as a photographer.

And what she is asking is that you hand over that copyright to her.

Explain that that can be done, but it costs more in the industry.

What people normally pay for is "licensing" of the images.

But if you are happy to take the money and write off any further use - then ignore the above...

"Owning lots of expensive gear is very important. I helps those of us without talent appear as if we really know what we're doing" (Belmondo)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,210 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 15, 2011 14:42 |  #3

Yeah you need to explain copyrights to her so she understands what both your right and her rights are. Thats not to say you cant agree to her wishes, but she ought to know that its not industry standard and since you are giving up your rights that compensation may be in order.

DirtyMax
33 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 15, 2011 14:43 |  #4

I would hop on the phone and just state that you completely appreciate her desire to not have her photos displayed publically. But that being said, you wondered if there was any room to compromise because there may be a few shots that you just knock out of the park and you'll want to add those to your presentation for future prospective customers to see.

She may open up as to why and it may be a deeper reasoning than you think that totally justifies her wishes.

Worst case, maybe she will let you show a few to proepects during a consult directly from your laptop, ipad, etc. during an in-person consult.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 15, 2011 14:49 |  #5

If she wants to modify the agreement, then she gets to pay for it.

Explain that the inability to use good photos for displaying to future prospective clients will basically make you lose some of your value of doing the work. As such, you need to be compensated for the lost value should you agree to this. Clients can't just change contracts after paying/signing etc. either to whatever they like. Draw up a new contract including the additional cost.

Gear List

jag64551
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 15, 2011 14:59 |  #6

I have heard from a couple of you that I could give her the option of paying additional costs for such copyright permissions. What have you done in the past in that respect (in terms of % of the entire quote)? Thanks

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 15, 2011 15:03 |  #7

I agree with all of the above - compensation should be in order if you agree to it. Subscribing to see what you decide .....

Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 II | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,860 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 15, 2011 15:06 as a reply to  @ jag64551's post |  #8

Honestly. When they start throwing out red flags like this I tend to stay clear.

We are up front with them and explain our position. We put our better shots on our website just like everyone else and that's where they might get displayed or they might get put into a studio sample album. If they have a problem with that, they can hire someone else.

Last thing you want is to have this red flag get tossed out there and have bridezilla on your hands demanding this and that.....no thanks. Too many others that appreciate what we do. Last thing you want is some control freak wrecking havoc on your business.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

jag64551
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 15, 2011 15:11 |  #9

I definitely see what you're saying. From meeting with them though, I could see her not really thinking of what that means for me, rather than a bride-zilla situation. Good to think about though. I will approach it cautiously, but will make sure to be clear and concise - whatever it is I do. Anyway have an idea of what would be reasonable if I were to suggest compensation?

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 15, 2011 15:13 |  #10

Ask her what her reasoning is for the request and tell her why you post online. Maybe you can work something out.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 15, 2011 15:13 |  #11

At least a 1/3rd increase in cost.

Remember, she is talking about buying the copyright, rather than licensing the images.

She is buying the car instead of leasing it...

If it is important enough to her, she will pay it.

If not, she will withdraw her request.

"I don't like the direction this thread is going..." (LightRules)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 15, 2011 15:21 |  #12

Staszek wrote in post #13550313 (external link)
Ask her what her reasoning is for the request and tell her why you post online. Maybe you can work something out.

I agree with this - if you ask you may be able to overcome the objection.

I've had the request in the past, and agreed to it. Not being able to display one wedding isn't going to kill me.

You need to decide how important booking the wedding is. If you refuse to agree to it, or you agree to it but jack up the price and she walks, are you OK with it? If you'd rather book the current wedding, then just agree and collect your money. :)

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

jag64551
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 15, 2011 15:29 |  #13

Yes, current financial obligations will force my hand into doing what's necessary to booking the wedding. I like the idea of just talking it out though. Thanks

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,210 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 15, 2011 15:37 |  #14

I remember an earlier thread where the bride had a similar request. It turned out that the groom and some of the wedding party were federal law enforcement agents who had undercover responsibilities. They simply wanted to keep their profile as low as possible.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 15, 2011 15:43 |  #15

mtimber wrote in post #13550316 (external link)
At least a 1/3rd increase in cost.

Remember, she is talking about buying the copyright, rather than licensing the images.

She is buying the car instead of leasing it...

If it is important enough to her, she will pay it.

If not, she will withdraw her request.

No no no. She just doesn't want them displayed...from what I understand.

If she wants to buy copyright then I would probably triple the price at least.

Buying the copyrights means she could do whatever she wanted, print them however she wanted, and even sell them to others.

That's a big difference between just not wanting them displayed.

Gear List

sponsored links

7,671 views & 0 likes for this thread
Request by bride to not display any photos...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.