Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Dec 2011 (Sunday) 22:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom 500/500 BXRi

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 18, 2011 22:13 |  #1

What's the verdict on this kit?
http://www.amazon.com …4SP9O&colid=366​GGLBRHFL07 (external link)

I want to get 2 lights for my home, I can't really setup a studio as downstairs is only 6' 7" and upstairs I do not have the room. So I was going to bring out 1-2 lights when I want to do some shooting in the living room (Cathedral Ceiling) and maybe get a backdrop stand I can setup quickly when I want to do it.

I've heard a lot of good things about Elinchrom, and it was really between this setup and a pair of AB800's.

I shoot mostly my 4 year old son but the 580EX II just isn't enough any more and I'm getting frustrated.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links
Aressem
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 18, 2011 22:20 |  #2

Saxi wrote in post #13566013 (external link)
What's the verdict on this kit?
http://www.amazon.com …4SP9O&colid=366​GGLBRHFL07 (external link)

I want to get 2 lights for my home, I can't really setup a studio as downstairs is only 6' 7" and upstairs I do not have the room. So I was going to bring out 1-2 lights when I want to do some shooting in the living room (Cathedral Ceiling) and maybe get a backdrop stand I can setup quickly when I want to do it.

I've heard a lot of good things about Elinchrom, and it was really between this setup and a pair of AB800's.

I shoot mostly my 4 year old son but the 580EX II just isn't enough any more and I'm getting frustrated.

I'm just curious why you feel that the 580EX II is not enough? What specifically is frustrating you? I'm just curious because if it is anything besides a lack of power, you may just find yourself even more frustrated with a new, more powerful strobe without the use of TTL. Learning the fundamentals might be a better idea rather than lunging into a studio level setup. I apologize if I am wrong but perhaps you can provide a little more information regarding your frustration with the 580EX II.

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

windpig
Chopped liver
15,359 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 18, 2011 22:30 |  #3

Well, it looks like you get the stands, SBs and bag for $130. Just remember, this is only the beginning.

From my standpoint I would buy one light, a descent softbox with a grid, an umbrella, a reflector, reflector arm and a couple of light stands. For $225 you can get the 36 X 48 Photoflex with grid, Bowens Quick Ring and Photek adaptor mount.

You can do pretty well for 1350 if you eschew the second light, you can always use you speedlight for fill, accent or what ever.

I love my Eli gear.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Saxi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 18, 2011 23:57 |  #4

Aressem wrote in post #13566050 (external link)
I'm just curious why you feel that the 580EX II is not enough? What specifically is frustrating you? I'm just curious because if it is anything besides a lack of power, you may just find yourself even more frustrated with a new, more powerful strobe without the use of TTL. Learning the fundamentals might be a better idea rather than lunging into a studio level setup. I apologize if I am wrong but perhaps you can provide a little more information regarding your frustration with the 580EX II.

It's either too much power or not enough. If I use the 580EX II, I am using it on camera. I have experience shooting with 4 light Alien Bee setup at a local studio I shoot at and the images are excellent. With the 580EX II, I don't know what it is, but either it is dark, hot spots, or just meh overall.

Don't get me wrong, I got some 580EX II shots that surprise me, but most of the time I am fumbling with it up and down and moving the bounce around trying to get a good exposure without hot spots.

I never shoot straight on unless outdoors or I have some good distance. I almost always use the pop-up white card and will occasionally use LumiQuest Omni Bounce.

I usually will shoot it manual mode 1/125 f/4 ISO 400.

I can probably be a lot better with the 580EX II (and I would love to) but I experiment with it a lot and use it a lot, but my results are really hit or miss. I get a lot of good shots with it, some look like they are shot in a studio, but I can't reliably produce it all the time.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

ted ­ krazonowski
93 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 19, 2011 06:53 |  #5

Do you really need 500ws? For the last 30 or so years I've been shooting with 200ws lights and rarely had to use them at full power - indeed in many instances I couldn't get the power low enough, so when it was time to replace them I went for heads that allow a 6 stop range in output. As for Elinchrom BRXi's good kit, but the bundled stands & softboxes are lagging behind in quality IMO. Also, whilst I feel the BRXi is a very good light, the far more economical D-Lite (external link) range offers superb value for money for the 'occasional user'

the real me (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,359 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 19, 2011 07:06 |  #6

Ted

I totally agree with you regarding the DLite. I've got 2 Ranger Speed RX AS pac's and a DLite4. It would be nice at times not to have to use a stool to adjust the DLite when up above head height. But, from strictly a head cost standpoint, it's a 40% savings. The 2 light kit is $500 less, but, per my prior post, the kit is not what I would do.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links

1,804 views & 0 likes for this thread
Elinchrom 500/500 BXRi
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.