Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 13:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA or Netbook

james_in_baltimore
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 20, 2011 13:26 |  #1

I recently had decided that I wanted a way to be able to back up my images on location. Although size was important consideration, so was overall usefulness of the solution as well as transfer speed. I wanted to share the research I went through in case it might help someone in the future.

My basic choices were:

1. Personal Storage Device (HyperDrive Colorspace UDMA)
  2. Laptop with Card Reader
  3. Netbook with card reader

The clear advantage of the hyperdrive was size. It is clearly smaller than a netbook and card reader. The problem was, i was left with a device of limited use and it only had an antiquated usb 2 connection. It also was expensive, with the unit without hard drive costing $250. After much deliberation, I just didn't feel comfortable spending over $300 for a drive with a tiny screen and old technology. For those that value space above all else and weigh their equipment by the gram or ounce, this is a valid choice.

A laptop obviously allowed for a much bigger screen, but overall was just too big and would add too much to the amount of space needed in my kit. Also, getting a decent laptop that had a usb 3.0 connection (I wanted the fastest possible transfer speed) would cost a good chunk of change.

A decent quality netbook that had USB 3.0 seemed the right choice. a thin 10 inch model has a big enough screen for me to do some basic reviews of the images and use it for other mobile computing needs while fitting easily inside my admittedly large camera bags. 250GB (the size hd in the one I purchase) isn't a lot of space, but I wouldn't be keep images there for long.

So, I began looking for a netbook that had USB 3.0. and was cheap. This was easier said than done. But it was possible. I ended up buying a used one (rated 9+ condition) from BH Photo for $250. It was the ASUS 1018P-PU37. This is one of the few models out there that is this small and has USB 3.0 It also has a decent processor(ATOM N570) for a netbook, so doing basic review shouldn't be too painful. It is slim at less than 1" and light at 1.1kg due to the slick aluminum casing. I added a usb 3.0 CF card reader for another $30 and upgraded to 2GB ram for another $15.

So, for less than the cost of a Hyperdrive colorspace UDMA, I was able to get a well equipped aluminum clad netbook with USB 3.0 card reader. This gives me a lot of advantages over a PSD with just a little extra space. I am certain I will appreciate the extra utility and far faster file transfers.

So, for those looking at a PSD, choose wisely. I have no doubt that some need to save space and weight above all else, but I think anyone else would find it far more useful to have the extra speed and utility of the solution detailed above.

I will try to remember to report back my findings once I have had the chance to try it out

James Harris Photography - Weddings Portraits Events (external link)
Canon 7D, 5D Mkii, 580EX II X2, 430EX, ST-E2
24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 17-40mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.4

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 20, 2011 13:33 |  #2

Good to know. For me the portability of the ColorSpace and the convenience that it brings makes all the difference in the world. But good to know you found another, more capable and still speedy solution.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Frank ­ Kaiser
32 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 21, 2011 10:57 |  #3

james_in_baltimore wrote in post #13574517 (external link)
I recently had decided that I wanted a way to be able to back up my images on location. Although size was important consideration, so was overall usefulness of the solution as well as transfer speed. I wanted to share the research I went through in case it might help someone in the future.

I will try to remember to report back my findings once I have had the chance to try it out

Any updates. That looks like a nice little machine.

Thanks,
Frank

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 21, 2011 16:01 |  #4

For me, the Hyperdrive is a life saver. You can shoot all day and still have clean cards the next AM. Download speed is not an issue for me, I generally don't sit there waiting for transfer to complete, anyway. It takes up almost no space. And because my shoots won't tolerate lost shots, I sometimes use two Hyperdrives for a double backup.

The only reason to have anything else is for web functions, IMO. The above setup is too bulky and unnecessary for my needs.

I'm lucky in that one of the Hyperdrives is an Album, with a 5" screen in HD. They're not offered anymore, as far as I can tell.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

james_in_baltimore
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 22, 2011 12:14 |  #5

tvphotog wrote in post #13580694 (external link)
For me, the Hyperdrive is a life saver. You can shoot all day and still have clean cards the next AM. Download speed is not an issue for me, I generally don't sit there waiting for transfer to complete, anyway. It takes up almost no space. And because my shoots won't tolerate lost shots, I sometimes use two Hyperdrives for a double backup.

The only reason to have anything else is for web functions, IMO. The above setup is too bulky and unnecessary for my needs.

I'm lucky in that one of the Hyperdrives is an Album, with a 5" screen in HD. They're not offered anymore, as far as I can tell.

If I had the option of the album, I might have thought a little harder on it. I still think though that for doing basic image review, the regular hyperdrive is not very effective. If the hyperdrive was $150 without a drive, I probably would have bought it. Yes, a netbook is definitely going to take up more space and be a little clunkier, even if the file transfer is faster, but at least I get the many other uses out of it. Plus, if I wanted to do multiple redundency, it is easy for me to add a 2.5" external to make a second copy to. To each his own. I don't doubt that the convenience and size of the hyperdrive is worth the cost for a lot people. I just couldn't find a way to justify the cost given it's rather limited(though very effective) use.

On another note, the used netbook that I ordered turned out to be defective. So, I have to return it. I couldn't find any more of those used and they are over 400 brand new, so I opted for something a little more powerful. I got a 12.1 asus, but it has a much more powerful processor, graphics and a screen with a 1366X768 resolution, 4GB ram, and still the very important USB 3.0. I added about a pound of weight to 3.4 pounds. Probably not a big deal in size difference, considering it will be carried in my TT Airport Security. I'll do some speed tests once I get it and let everyone know how it goes.

FLiPMaRC
967 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 22, 2011 12:57 |  #6

I've been using a netbook + external portable HDDs when I travel for years. Until I can do it with Android tablets, I will probably keep this setup.

My first travel backup was the Iomega Fotoshow back in 2001. I used 250MB Zip disks :lol: My memory card back then was only 64MB and costs me over $100.

IMAGE: http://bermangraphics.com/images/300-fotoshow01.jpg

Gear List

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 22, 2011 13:39 |  #7

^^^^^ WOW!!! I remember those! Crazy!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 22, 2011 15:00 |  #8

james_in_baltimore wrote in post #13574517 (external link)
...has a big enough screen for me to do some basic reviews of the images and use it for other mobile computing needs while fitting easily inside my admittedly large camera bags....

You start out saying you want to back up your images, but you clearly want to do more than that. Nothing wrong with that, but if you want to review your images beyond CHIMPing and do other computing functions, then the Hyperdrive is not for you (as you discovered). The screen on the Hyperdrive (as I see it) is a convenience for the OCD among us who need reassurance the images are actually there ;), not for doing anything really useful in critiquing, etc., the images.

Tom

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 22, 2011 15:03 |  #9

RTPVid wrote in post #13586018 (external link)
You start out saying you want to back up your images, but you clearly want to do more than that. Nothing wrong with that, but if you want to review your images beyond CHIMPing and do other computing functions, then the Hyperdrive is not for you (as you discovered). The screen on the Hyperdrive (as I see it) is a convenience for the OCD among us who need reassurance the images are actually there ;), not for doing anything really useful in critiquing, etc., the images.

More than just reassurance for me. When shooting video even 32GB cards get filled up very fast. The Colorspace would be a very nice way to dump that video off so that a couple of cards can be cycled through while shooting.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 22, 2011 15:24 |  #10

Can the Hyperdrive play video files?

Tom

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 22, 2011 15:32 |  #11

RTPVid wrote in post #13586154 (external link)
Can the Hyperdrive play video files?

Nope, not that I know of, but it will show that the file it there with the file name date and time and like I said just that have that small portable bucket to dump the data into is worth it for me. I dont need to watch the video files until I get back to a computer.

james_in_baltimore
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 23, 2011 08:47 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #12

RTPVid wrote in post #13586018 (external link)

Actually, the point I was trying to make (and I guess didn't) was that I was uncomfortable with the price of the colorspace given it's limited use. All I really wanted was a good way to back up my images on location, but the cost of a colorspace+hard drive is as much as a netbook, so for me I would rather sacrifice a little space for a much more useful solution. Like I said earlier, if the colorspace was $100 cheaper I would have definitely jumped on it. But with a netbook with USB 3.0, I get faster file transfers, faster transfers to my main computer, the ability to review images, etc. With a Colorspace UDMA, I get a nice small form factor and ease of use (no opening up a netbook, dragging files), but only usb 2.0 connection and no real utility beyond that. I would have been ok with that, but not at that price. Make sense?

Like I said before: I completely understand that for some, the smaller form factor and convenience of the Colorspace UDMA is a necessity. However, for those where space is not at a premium, my personal opinion is that a netbook is a much more versatile solution for approximately the same cost.

FLiPMaRC
967 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 23, 2011 10:12 |  #13

james_in_baltimore wrote in post #13589583 (external link)
(no opening up a netbook, dragging files)

I use FastStone (external link) to import files on my netbook.

Gear List

james_in_baltimore
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 23, 2011 10:40 |  #14

FLiPMaRC wrote in post #13589883 (external link)
I use FastStone (external link) to import files on my netbook.

Is this faster than using the typical windows import photos dialog? It would be nice to find something that auto imports upon inserting my CF card or just with a click or two at most.

I will probably just use zoom browser for basic preview and culling obvious rejects.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 23, 2011 11:32 |  #15

james_in_baltimore wrote in post #13590000 (external link)
Is this faster than using the typical windows import photos dialog? It would be nice to find something that auto imports upon inserting my CF card or just with a click or two at most.

I will probably just use zoom browser for basic preview and culling obvious rejects.

Windows can be set to auto import when you plug in your card.

Tom

sponsored links

5,705 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA or Netbook
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.