Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 20 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reception & Strobes

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 21, 2011 07:57 |  #16

I have a question about Nicks setup. I read that he uses his 580 on camera and uses velcro to attach the CST to his 580 to trigger the flash's and uses the Cyber Commander to control every facet of the off camera flash. I really want to try this setup but I cant figure how you connect the camera to the CST while the 580 is mounted so it can trigger the flashes.

I currently use the CST and CSRB so I understand I'll need a cyber commander and some CSRB+ recievers but I for the life of me cant figure out how to connect the CST to the camera with a speedlite on the camera already. I see the little hole on the side of the CST that looks like it could be a port of some kind but none of the cables that came with the flash will fit in. Thanks for any help guys.

2 x 5D III | 40D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 35L | 50[B]L | 85IIL | 100 L |135L | 300 f4L | | 24-70L | | 70-200 2.8L II | 2XL |
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 21, 2011 08:07 |  #17

You would use a pc sync cable to connect the CST trigger to the camera's pc sync port.

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 21, 2011 08:11 |  #18

Is this all I need, is it really that simple?
http://flashzebra.com/​products/0148/index.sh​tml (external link)

The pc sync cable that came from buff dont fit the CST, its to large. Is that where the sub miniphone size comes in?

Thanks for your help nick, your images are wicked.

2 x 5D III | 40D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 35L | 50[B]L | 85IIL | 100 L |135L | 300 f4L | | 24-70L | | 70-200 2.8L II | 2XL |
flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
15,169 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2011 08:33 |  #19

How do you manage the CST? Velcro it to the camera to flash so it is not hanging around? That is what I did to my L-358 meter.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 21, 2011 08:36 |  #20

digital paradise wrote in post #13578406 (external link)
How do you manage the CST? Velcro it to the camera to flash so it is not hanging around? That is what I did to my L-358 meter.

Yep he uses velcro, and now Im going to try his setup and I'll be using velcro as well. :D

flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
15,169 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2011 08:48 |  #21

Good info as I was just thinking about this. I did not want to be taking the CST on and off all the time. I converted all my flashes to mini jack ports but I think I'll leave the camera alone ;)

I connect the CSB to my flashes with this.

http://www.flashzebra.​com/products/0235/inde​x.shtml (external link)

Image Editing OK

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 21, 2011 08:59 |  #22

digital paradise wrote in post #13578472 (external link)
Good info as I was just thinking about this. I did not want to be taking the CST on and off all the time. I converted all my flashes to mini jack ports but I think I'll leave the camera alone ;)

Ohhhhhh... no cords!!!!! Awesome!

flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
15,169 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2011 09:03 |  #23

Lon at Flash Zebra has everything :)

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
15,169 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2011 09:05 |  #24

gh patriot wrote in post #13578315 (external link)

The pc sync cable that came from buff dont fit the CST, its to large. Is that where the sub miniphone size comes in?

I guess I am going to need to order 2 of these. Give Lon some business.

Image Editing OK

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 21, 2011 09:10 |  #25

gh patriot wrote in post #13578315 (external link)

The CST should have come with several cables, including the one with the mini phone plug that fits into that small hole on the side of the CST.

That said, if you don't have one, then yes, the flash zebra is the one to get. Just make sure it's the right size. Looks like it. You can email them to verify. They are really good at responding and helping you make sure you get the right parts. The screw lock is also a nice touch.

And yes, it's that simple. :D

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 21, 2011 09:15 |  #26

digital paradise wrote in post #13578406 (external link)

Yup, I've got Velcro on the 580EXII the opposite side of the battery door. The CST is pretty small so it attaches well. I would suggest however to also use a rubber band to further secure it b/c there were a few times when I almost lost the CST due to it coming lose despite the Velcro. I also use a battery pack for the 580EXII so sometimes the cables get all tangled up and can snap the CST loose from the Velcro attachment.

gh patriot wrote in post #13578414 (external link)
Yep he uses velcro, and now Im going to try his setup and I'll be using velcro as well. :D

Yup. :)

digital paradise wrote in post #13578472 (external link)

I usually dangle the CSRB+ receiver on the light stand. Once the lights are set up, they don't ever move, so I am comfortable with that. The Einstein has its own dedicated "port" for the CSXCV receiver so it's a very clean solution.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 21, 2011 09:16 |  #27

digital paradise wrote in post #13578544 (external link)
Lon at Flash Zebra has everything :)

And he's a VERY helpful guy too. I highly recommend Flash Zebra products! :)

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 21, 2011 09:16 |  #28

nicksan wrote in post #13578586 (external link)
The CST should have come with several cables, including the one with the mini phone plug that fits into that small hole on the side of the CST.

That said, if you don't have one, then yes, the flash zebra is the one to get. Just make sure it's the right size. Looks like it. You can email them to verify. They are really good at responding and helping you make sure you get the right parts. The screw lock is also a nice touch.

And yes, it's that simple. :D

Thanks! I think I actually got rid of the sub miniphone size connector as I thought Id never use it. Oh well, at least they are cheap to get a new one and it will be screwlock. Im looking forward to trying your setup Nick as I have wanted on camera fill so many times but was limited to the 3 flashes I had set up triggered with the CST in the hot shoe.

I shoot with your low ISO approach and your so correct about the image quality, it is so much better than the crappy ambient that is there 90% of the time. Thanks again :)

flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
15,169 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2011 09:21 |  #29

Yes it did but I'm going to get the screw locks and I need spares just in case. Back ups for cords that can fail like gear.

Image Editing OK

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 21, 2011 09:22 |  #30

Peacefield wrote in post #13578080 (external link)
I've never adapted this approach but keep thinking about it. Nick, Tim, and others, don't your flashes limit your ability to just kind of walk anywhere and shoot at any angle? Do you find yourself always trying to shoot from just one side of the floor because of how your flashes are oriented?

Also, no issues with tripping? Someone tripping on and/or knocking your stands and flashes over?

I usually have 2 strobes setup at the opposite end of the room so I am not too concerned about where I shoot from. I try to put them as far away from the dance floor as possible. Sometimes I have no choice but to put them closer to the action. In that case, I make sure to adjust camera settings as I get closer to that light. (Lowering the ISO or stopping down the lens, for instance)

As for tripping, no issues. I usually place my lights away from any type of action. There were several times where I couldn't find a suitable location for the second strobe, so I just used one. I also have the Vagabond Mini, so I know at least for one strobe I am not tied down to a location with an outlet. Besides, the DJ/band usually end up taking ALL the outlets by the dance floor anyways. :lol:

Gel wrote in post #13578232 (external link)
I like the examples above, very clean , but I would want to capture more ambient light. The flash looks like the only light source so irks with the look I go for.

Yeah, if the ambient lighting was anything to write home about, I would certainly try to capture some of it. But the fact of the matter is, most places have ugly tungsten lighting, and I don't care for the look. It's crappy lighting. So I prefer to eliminate that and create my own lighting.

sponsored links

7,432 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reception & Strobes
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.