Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 20 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reception & Strobes

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 21, 2011 09:24 |  #31

gh patriot wrote in post #13578623 (external link)
Thanks! I think I actually got rid of the sub miniphone size connector as I thought Id never use it. Oh well, at least they are cheap to get a new one and it will be screwlock. Im looking forward to trying your setup Nick as I have wanted on camera fill so many times but was limited to the 3 flashes I had set up triggered with the CST in the hot shoe.

I shoot with your low ISO approach and your so correct about the image quality, it is so much better than the crappy ambient that is there 90% of the time. Thanks again :)

I would also highly recommend the Demb Flip-it bounce card, if you don't already have something similar. I always use it to bounce some light from the 580EXII forward. I never shoot a wedding without it.

Also, if what you are triggering are Alien Bee Strobes, then I highly recommend the Cyber Commander. Very cool device and convenient since you can adjust power remotely. I keep that in my pocket and adjust settings remotely if I see the light levels are off, etc...

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2011 09:26 |  #32

Well another very informative thread. I am actually looking forward to trying this out. Gonna head to the reception venue next month and set this all up before the event with is early February. Have my wife model and take some readings, etc.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 21, 2011 09:28 |  #33

digital paradise wrote in post #13578674 (external link)
Well another very informative thread. I am actually looking forward to trying this out. Gonna head to the reception venue next month and set this all up before the event with is early February. Have my wife model and take some readings, etc.

Good luck man!
I'm done with weddings until Spring 2012. :)

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2011 09:40 |  #34

nicksan wrote in post #13578653 (external link)
I usually have 2 strobes setup at the opposite end of the room so I am not too concerned about where I shoot from. I try to put them as far away from the dance floor as possible. Sometimes I have no choice but to put them closer to the action. In that case, I make sure to adjust camera settings as I get closer to that light. (Lowering the ISO or stopping down the lens, for instance)

Yeah, if the ambient lighting was anything to write home about, I would certainly try to capture some of it. But the fact of the matter is, most places have ugly tungsten lighting, and I don't care for the look. It's crappy lighting. So I prefer to eliminate that and create my own lighting.

Where do you point the strobes to avoid the dance floor. Obviously this is for when you can't bounce them off walls.

That has been the issue for me. You can get get great venues and really make it work with on camera flash. I have shot in those darker ugly lit places. High ISO, slower shutter, bounced and gelled, correct WB and I still can't get it looking great at times.

Image Editing OK

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,986 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 21, 2011 09:45 |  #35

nicksan wrote in post #13578682 (external link)
Good luck man!
I'm done with weddings until Spring 2012. :)

Ive got my last one Friday night.

Nick i was going to sell my Mini and FlexTT5 until i saw your post and it made me rethink the decision. After going through your thread as well as Tims and lloyds ( and a very gracious phone call from you nick) we gave it a go 2 weddings ago. Its a great option to have in your bag of tricks. I really love having that much control of the ambient and ability to shoot at lower iso's. Wont switch back but, my wife still uses the old faithful set ups,,580 on a bracket above the camera at 1600-3200 iso with a gel and trying to get as much ambient in as you can before 1/30

As for triggers, we have the pocket wizard Mini TT1 and flex TT5 set ups, they work very well and i have had zero issues with my 580's. Ettle works good but you still run into ETTL issues especially with some brighter backlighting. I will shoot both ways and get good results both ways but find manual flash on the TT1, AV mode on the camera works really good. Manual mode is also very steady eddie because you are controlling the ambient with your lights on the stands.

Pocket wizard also has the controller that nick is talking about and it the
AC3 zone controller. I'm going to get one for the 2012 season

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Controller_for_​Canon.html (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 21, 2011 09:51 |  #36

digital paradise wrote in post #13578736 (external link)
Where do you point the strobes to avoid the dance floor. Obviously this is for when you can't bounce them off walls.

That has been the issue for me. You can get get great venues and really make it work with on camera flash. I have shot in those darker ugly lit places. High ISO, slower shutter, bounced and gelled, correct WB and I still can't get it looking great at times.

I was actually talking about where to put the strobes themselves and not where they are pointed to. I try to put them as far away from the action as possible to avoid severe light falloff. Sometimes I have this luxury. Sometimes I don't. That said, the strobes are always pointed towards the dance floor area.

The wedding I shot this past weekend, one of my PC Sync cables broke, apparently when I pulled it out to shoot some available light photos. I only noticed this during the introductions and first dance when I was getting pitch dark backgrounds, so I didn't have time to try to figure out why the CST wasn't triggering the strobes. So I ended up lowering the shutter speed and raising the ISO to get some reasonable shots. This continued on to the speeches, etc. I'll post them up later tonight. I think it might be interesting to compare those with the ones where the strobes were properly triggered. I had 2 cameras on me, but the other camera had a wide angle prime on it. I suppose I could have quickly swapped out the 2 lenses, but I decided I just didn't have time for that when everything was happening in front of me.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 21, 2011 09:54 |  #37

umphotography wrote in post #13578759 (external link)
Ive got my last one Friday night.

Nick i was going to sell my Mini and FlexTT5 until i saw your post and it made me rethink the decision. After going through your thread as well as Tims and lloyds ( and a very gracious phone call from you nick) we gave it a go 2 weddings ago. Its a great option to have in your bag of tricks. I really love having that much control of the ambient and ability to shoot at lower iso's. Wont switch back but, my wife still uses the old faithful set ups,,580 on a bracket above the camera at 1600-3200 iso with a gel and trying to get as much ambient in as you can before 1/30

As for triggers, we have the pocket wizard Mini TT1 and flex TT5 set ups, they work very well and i have had zero issues with my 580's. Ettle works good but you still run into ETTL issues especially with some brighter backlighting. I will shoot both ways and get good results both ways but find manual flash on the TT1, AV mode on the camera works really good. Manual mode is also very steady eddie because you are controlling the ambient with your lights on the stands.

Pocket wizard also has the controller that nick is talking about and it the
AC3 zone controller. I'm going to get one for the 2012 season

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Controller_for_​Canon.html (external link)

Cool man!

I was always intrigued by the PW TTL Triggers/Receivers, but just read too many stories about problems with those and the 580EXII, that I never tried. I had the regular PW Plus II's and I was having problems with them triggering the 580EXIIs, so I ended up selling them and now use CyberSyncs. Works like a charm.

One day though, I'll check the PW TTL stuff out! :)

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 21, 2011 10:04 |  #38

Hey I found the sub mini cables that came with the CST trigger! Now a Cyber commander and some CSRB+ recievers and I'll be livin the high life. Thanks again for all the info in here from everyone.

2 x 5D III | 40D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 35L | 50[B]L | 85IIL | 100 L |135L | 300 f4L | | 24-70L | | 70-200 2.8L II | 2XL |
flickr (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 21, 2011 10:08 |  #39

gh patriot wrote in post #13578835 (external link)
Hey I found the sub mini cables that came with the CST trigger! Now a Cyber commander and some CSRB+ recievers and I'll be livin the high life. Thanks again for all the info in here from everyone.

Cool! :)

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 21, 2011 16:16 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #40

digital paradise wrote in post #13577615 (external link)
Thanks. It was very hard to see because it is so bright hitting the wall there might have been shoot throughs. Two light sources adequate most of the time?

About the shoots. Would you not want to just block the light facing the subjects? Looks like you are bouncing off both walls and ceilings. Take advantage of the wall leave one side open? 3/4 coverage with a white inside or would not matter at this point? Actually a Rogue flash bender might do it. You could shape it into a snoot if you needed to.

Just mostly guessing and thinking out load.

No diffusers. Yep a half snoot would be ideal, anyone know where I can get one?

Peacefield wrote in post #13578080 (external link)
I've never adapted this approach but keep thinking about it. Nick, Tim, and others, don't your flashes limit your ability to just kind of walk anywhere and shoot at any angle? Do you find yourself always trying to shoot from just one side of the floor because of how your flashes are oriented?

Also, no issues with tripping? Someone tripping on and/or knocking your stands and flashes over?

My lights are set up and moved for each part of the reception. In the shot we're talking about it only lights the head table, but I can shoot the head table from any angle. The light's quite even.

I also have a flash on my camera, which is fine for random shots of people at the tables. I don't take many of those types of photos anyway.

You have to be a little smart about where you put the light stands, and I usually move them out of the way when people are moving around. When people are sitting down I put them wherever I like, so long as they're not in anyones way or annoying anyone. I also have a couple of clamps in my lighting bag, but I almost never use them.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2011 17:46 |  #41

http://www.HonlPhoto.c​om/speed-snoot.html (external link)

Thanks Tim

Image Editing OK

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 21, 2011 17:59 |  #42

Perfect, thanks :) I may end up making my own, maybe, it's just plastic and velcro... but a professional look is probably good too.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 21, 2011 18:41 |  #43

tim wrote in post #13580789 (external link)
I also have a couple of clamps in my lighting bag, but I almost never use them.

My apprehension about trips and falls (both people and my lights) have kept me from doing this. Never thought about clamps. That just might be the right solution for me. Thanks.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 21, 2011 18:54 |  #44

Peacefield wrote in post #13581433 (external link)
My apprehension about trips and falls (both people and my lights) have kept me from doing this. Never thought about clamps. That just might be the right solution for me. Thanks.

I've never had a problem, you just have to be a little smart about it. In NZ if someone trips, falls, and hurts themselves people laugh at them and tell them to watch where they're going, unlike the US where lawsuits might happen. I don't think you can sue for personal injury in NZ.

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2011 19:51 |  #45

I might be selfish but I am more concerned about my gear. I don't want to see anyone get hurt but it will survive a minor bump much better with some weight at the bottom. Most of the time it is that light bump that does it. Mind you a 580 has almost no weight to it so the whole rig is more stable than a heavier strobe atop. First go at it so you wonder about all these things.

Suing is not that big of a thing in Canada as well. A person will fall, break an arm, loose 3 teeth and apologize to you :lol:

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

7,434 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reception & Strobes
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.