Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 20 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reception & Strobes

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
15,159 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 24, 2011 11:33 |  #76

[QUOTE=airfrogusmc;135​87455]

No text

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
15,159 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 24, 2011 11:35 |  #77

airfrogusmc wrote in post #13587455 (external link)
Years ago when I shot with blads I would use 4 WL 1200s and bounce them into the ceiling in the hall, usually one in each corner but not always. I then had an assistant that I trained and I had a mono-pod with a strobe on it that she/he would hold and I also had a strobe over camera. I would set the aperture for the main light (the one the assistant had and let my light over camera be true fill and it would be set for one stop less and the lights lighting the room would be about a stop and a half lower than the main light so the backgrounds would not get to dark. And I would meter to make sure the room had as even light as I could get. The highest ISO I would shoot with back in those days was 400.

Heres what I now use.

Heres my set up with my metz 58 and it works great.

I defuse and gel for the ambient and I don't fear high ISO with the 5DII. Taped the sides I didn't want light spilling from the sof-ten because it caused hot spots.

QUOTED IMAGE

These Nikon gels fit perfect
QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Looks like your method works very well. Nicely balanced light. The bounce card is a little big for me but that is just a personal choice. The flip it can be angled. I know what size I will get now but I'm still not sure if I will get it. I get decent results using a bracket and direct for less important events. So far I have been fortunate to have good ceilings for the receptions I have shot so I could bounce.

I really like the bracket and direct for the auto zoom. Makes life easier. I bump the ISO way up and it makes a big difference when run and gun shooting. Fashion shows and stuff like that where the is no where to bounce. Not the greatest shots with a little shadow under the chin but it will do. Amazing how getting the flash up even 5 inches makes a difference.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …s/d74/Zenon1/_M​G_0172.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …1/DPP07DB091913​2005-1.jpg (external link)

I guess one day my luck will run out and I doubt I will ever shoot direct for a wedding. I always scope out the venue long before the shoot. Next one in February is the same place I shot the last one. Besides I 'm trying out remote flashes for the next one.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,430 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Dec 26, 2011 16:26 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #78

Its big because it becomes the light source and the size helps soften the light which is more important to me than looks. It has nothing to do with personal choice other than I prefer the quality of light produced by it. I tested different sizes and a crap load of expensive and not so expensive modifiers but this is the size that I found worked best without getting way to large. And when its gets messed up I make a new one for a lot less than some of the expensive and not as effective alternatives.

I have a bracket (strobe o frame) but found I prefer the light right over camera because I use it as true fill and seems to work better closer to the lens axis. It fills in under the chin and the eye sockets better than if it were higher up.

Also unless the room will just not give it to me I shoot a lot of available light. If the light in the room is to spotty then I use this set up and I will also use it for DoF reason for casual groups.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7,427 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reception & Strobes
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.