Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 27 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 18:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Member: First camera - Canon SX40HS

dennisharrison
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 27, 2011 18:49 |  #1

My wife is an equestrian, and I wanted something with a decent zoom that wouldn't be too complicated to operate.

I'm addicted! :D
Been snapping 400 ~ 500 pics a week for the last few weeks.

Now, I'm using manual and program modes for most shots, only reverting to auto when I don't know offhand which settings I want to use for a particular situation.

I now have two tripods:

1. Outdoor use with levels and spikes on the feet (center piece is also a monopod)
  2. Cheapo small indoor one that barely supports the weight well enough for countertop/floor user

I'm a programmer, so picking up the facilities of the image editing programs hasn't been complex (so far).

On the iPad I've been using:
(I'm blown away by how much can be done on the little device).

1. Filterstorm (hands down my favorite)
  2. Snapseed (easiest to use, and great filters)
  3. ArtStudio (it's like a REALLY watered down photoshop, but decent for raster edit)
  4. iMovie (weird UI at first, but once you get the gestures down and create images to be used with transitions in your movies... is VERY capable for the form-factor)

On the desktop I've been using Photoshop(CS5), which I've used for years for various web/app work. I've learned so much about curves and filter masks though in following along with image editing tutorials.

The video modes on the camera are a lot of fun (240fps is some good slow motion, but the resolution is only QVGA), however I usually use the 1080p 24fps mode on a tripod.

Let me just say "Hello" and get to my reason for posting (finally!).
Do I want filters with this camera, and if so, which ones?

I tried a 52mm UV filter from a big-box store today, and it did not screw in well at all, and I didn't like it (cheap, RocketFish brand).

I see filter kits like this online:
http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1325032​555&sr=8-6 (external link)

and I don't know if I'm supposed to be using 67mm (which this looks too small for), or if I need to use canon brand 52mm. Perhaps 67mm is some standard size for things and the adapter makes it easy for people to reuse them?

I've reached a point where I'm not sure of what to get (if anything), and I'm not confident in my ability to comprehend the differences without having help :)

Also, I know this camera doesn't have changeable lenses, but can I do something to increase it's macro shot ability?

Finally, does anyone have experience using CHDK on this camera? What does it give you the ability to do, and is it worth the hassle in your opinion?

TL;DR
What accessories will improve my shooting capabilities and protect my Canon SX40 HS?
Should I try using the CHDK alpha, and what will it let me do in real-world scenarios?

--
Dennis

sponsored links
wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 27, 2011 21:35 |  #2

I would not recommend any CHDK for a novice/beginner. Not worth it.. And the alpha release only makes using the camera slightly more complicated than you need at this point.
The best thing you can get is a nice bag to protect your camera. Second- a smallish, but relatively sturdy tripod.
The UV filter is unnecessary for most people. A ND filter can be useful for some circumstances, and perhaps a polarizer. Not sure how well the filter ring works on the SX40.

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

dennisharrison
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 27, 2011 21:48 |  #3

wayne.robbins wrote in post #13607628 (external link)
I would not recommend any CHDK for a novice/beginner. Not worth it.. And the alpha release only makes using the camera slightly more complicated than you need at this point.
The best thing you can get is a nice bag to protect your camera. Second- a smallish, but relatively sturdy tripod.
The UV filter is unnecessary for most people. A ND filter can be useful for some circumstances, and perhaps a polarizer. Not sure how well the filter ring works on the SX40.

Thanks a bunch mate. I just heard:
Keep doing what you're doing, don't spend anymore money, have fun.

And, that's just fine with me :)

Thanks!

Also, I'm mostly worried about dust on the lens, and then cleaning it off would cause some abbression wear on the micro coating of the lens. Am I worrying too much about the lens? I always keep it capped, and well protected when not in use.

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 28, 2011 04:45 |  #4

the sx40hs uses a 67mm filter adapter (FA-DC67A). with the adapter, you can only use 67mm filters. you shouldnt be using filters smaller than 67mm. you can buy other filter adapters for the sx40 besides the 67mm on ebay. of course, im not sure if youre ready to step up to a 77mm format. 77mm is pro size and youre will be paying $100+ per filter easily. you should not force any filter into the threads. you do not want to damage the threads. that said, filters are not cheap accessories. i would avoid off brands or tiffen filters. alot of cheap filters hurt image quality, sharpness and contrast. some even cause excessive glare. you can buy the cheap filters to play with if you dont mind the hit to image quality.

if youre shooting alot of outdoor scenes, i recommend a circular polarizer, not linear polarizer. polarizers, like sunglasses, cut out certain wavelengths of light. reducing haze, glare, reflections and improving saturation. it also provides a nice pop to clouds. you can use any brand you want, but i suggest something along the lines of Hoya HMC, or you can step up and get a B+W. A decent polarizer can run anywhere between $30 to $150. I woudlnt buy the Canon filters. they are expensive and third party fairs better.

you can also try ND filters and graduated ND filters if you want to learn how to use them. but for starters, i suggest the circ polarizer.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

serenpur
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 25, 2012 12:43 |  #5

Hi Dennis
There is a lot of information about different filter adapters and filters that people are using for the SX40HS in this discussion in the SX40HS flickr group
http://www.flickr.com …iscuss/72157628​143657639/ (external link)
There are also other discussions about using CHDK.
Thought it might be helpful to you if you haven't already found it.
I have bought the lensmate adapter that works with 58mm filters and it seems to do the job.

JustShootin'
820 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 26, 2012 09:20 as a reply to  @ serenpur's post |  #6

I've been using the Lensmate filter adapter since the SX10 came out, and it works great with 58mm filters on the SX40 as well.

Gary
Canon SX40, S100 and a Non Canon dSLR
“Any darn fool can make something complex;
it takes a genius to make something simple.”—Pete Seeger

u02bnpx
174 posts
Joined Apr 2002

Mar 01, 2012 20:57 as a reply to  @ JustShootin''s post |  #7

I called Canon today and asked about filter use for the SX40. I was told that the 67mm adapter (and therefore 67mm filters) were needed in order to avoid vignetting on the wide end. I haven't received my SX40 from B&H yet, so would those of you who are using the 58mm adapter and filter tell me if in fact you are or are not getting any vignetting?

JustShootin'
820 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 02, 2012 18:29 as a reply to  @ u02bnpx's post |  #8

I haven't used the filter with wide angle on my SX 40, but I bet Canon's right, as the SX 40 has 24mm wide, where the SX10 had 28 mm.

Gary

dale500
55 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 06, 2012 07:18 as a reply to  @ JustShootin''s post |  #9

I use the Lensmate adapter with a 58 mm filter on my SX40 and have had no issues over the full range of the zoom. I have noticed some vignetting at 24mm with two filters stacked but that's it. I wanted the 58mm adapter since all the current filters I have are 58mm.

Dale

Dale
S2 IS, SX40HS, Rebel XT + Grip, 18-55is, 55-250is,
ef 35-135mm push/pull, 500t closeup, Moose Polarizer, 380ex

u02bnpx
174 posts
Joined Apr 2002

Mar 06, 2012 08:33 |  #10

dale500 wrote in post #14034255 (external link)
I use the Lensmate adapter with a 58 mm filter on my SX40 and have had no issues over the full range of the zoom. I have noticed some vignetting at 24mm with two filters stacked but that's it. I wanted the 58mm adapter since all the current filters I have are 58mm.

Dale

That's good to know ahead of time. I too would prefer to use 58mm filters, which aren't as big-looking on the smallish SX40. As for stacking filters, I'm not in the habit of doing that, so no problem. But I'm still perplexed by two things: 1) inability to use a lens hood while using filters, and 2) the need to get acquire a 58mm lens cap in order to keep a UV or other protective filter on the lens at all times.

Floyd

dale500
55 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 06, 2012 09:56 as a reply to  @ u02bnpx's post |  #11

As for the lens hood I would not even bother with it. Wide angle lens hoods are flared out wide so there is no vignetting making them more for show than any thing else. They might provide some shading but it would be a very narrow range. I had hoods for my DSLR lenses but I did not purchase one for the SX40. I have found that my hand makes a great shade for the few times I actually need to shade the lens. There are also aftermarket lens hoods that will screw on to the 58mm ring and allow you to use a filter but they would probably have some vignetting at 24mm

I got a Rocketfish 58mm lens cap at Best Buy for about $8. It is black and matches perfect.

Dale

Dale
S2 IS, SX40HS, Rebel XT + Grip, 18-55is, 55-250is,
ef 35-135mm push/pull, 500t closeup, Moose Polarizer, 380ex

u02bnpx
174 posts
Joined Apr 2002

Mar 06, 2012 10:31 as a reply to  @ dale500's post |  #12

More good tips...many thanks!

Floyd

riverdog1
335 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 07, 2012 01:45 as a reply to  @ u02bnpx's post |  #13

The first thing I buy for a digital camera is a spare battery. Having a fully charged spare
battery when I'm out shooting has saved the day on occasion.

exwintech
Gone, but not forgotten . . .
551 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 07, 2012 14:50 as a reply to  @ riverdog1's post |  #14

Riverdog1 - That actually sounds like a semi-vote for AAs in P&S - and entry-level DSLRs. Of course, the more experienced and better-equipped DSLR folk will have a spare body, lenses, filters, spare Li-Ions, so on, in their cars or carry-packs.

We hobby to keen amateur folk might not always do that. Then, on a long day trip, overnight stay, weekend away, so on, not be allowing for a lot of extra use, unexpected events, or needing to do a lot of video.

At that point, being able to buy a couple of sets of AA-Alkalines at any corner store or small country town general store - or lithium AAs - can be a trip / event saver!

Or - as the more experienced / semi-pro - or DSLR folk with a P&S as second or "snaps" camera - types, who do prefer the Li-Ion packs, could still run out with extra unexpected use.

So an "optional" Li-Ion OR AAs camera setup would suit, then. Example - the Pentax K-R, which comes as a Li-Ion pack camera - but has a 4 x AAs optional holder available. From what I'm hearing on the related Forum, some use the Li-Ions only, and buy spares, some use AAs only, and some do both - have the Li-Ion packs for usual purposes - but the AAs holder is in their bag, if needed.

The K-R body is no larger than some bridge P&S cameras - and is indeed smaller than some. Cameras like the SX30/40 could have been optional. Had the SX30 been AAs-propelled, or optional, I would have bought it instead of the (4 x AAs) Fuji HS10.

Regards, Dave.

JustShootin'
820 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 08, 2012 10:05 as a reply to  @ exwintech's post |  #15

I thought I wouldn't like parting with my AA batteries too, but now I'm glad they're gone. Just grab some extras and keep on a shootin':)

Gary

sponsored links

8,332 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Member: First camera - Canon SX40HS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.