Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Dec 2011 (Wednesday) 21:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 60D Users, Unite! (3)

this thread is locked
S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 02, 2012 14:03 |  #9391

Rivest wrote in post #14519935 (external link)
Yeah! 12 inches of rain here today! Guess what I'll be doing all day? Shooting paintball. Damn. I think the 60D is going to get wet!

30,5 cm of rain? That's epic flooding maybe your conversation was off a weeeee bit? 60d betterwear a condom to avoid unwanted issues

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

sponsored links
cru
43 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 02, 2012 14:11 |  #9392

Hey all, I’ve posted a few times, but I mostly just lurk.

Just wanted to report that I got my 60D back from repair. The rubber grips were coming off. I’m glad to have it fixed as the loose grips were driving me nuts!

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,131 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 02, 2012 15:49 as a reply to  @ cru's post |  #9393

My computer crashed. Was trying to delete a partition on a USB drive where Readyboost no longer worked. Error, and my screen began flickering. I rebooted and Windows would not reboot and after several attempts of troubleshooting with rescue disks - no use.
Did a system restore back to default installation.

Did I have proper back-ups for everything? I sure as hell did.
Loosing all my original Raw files & jpegs & stuff back in 2009 was enough for me.

Unexpected Sh!t happens guys. Back-up your important stuff.

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 02, 2012 15:59 |  #9394

Ahah! My bad! Not 12 inches but 2.

But well, looks like my 60D didn't like the rain. At least not that much rain. Even if I had a plastic bag over it when not in use.

Screen got all foggy from the inside, condensation I guess. But the D-pad stopped working (all direction + ''SET'' button), buttons were getting stuck pressed in, viewfinder focus point weren't lighting red anymore, list goes on...

Hope it'll all comeback working fine once it dries out.

Hi, I'm David.

Mircom
537 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 02, 2012 16:08 |  #9395

Wish you the best with your 60D David! Can't wait to see the shots you got :)

Mirco Millaire
Nikon D800 / D610
Full gear list...
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Facebook (external link) - MircoMillaire.com (external link)

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 02, 2012 16:14 as a reply to  @ Mircom's post |  #9396

S.n.a.f.u. wrote in post #14521209 (external link)
30,5 cm of rain? That's epic flooding maybe your conversation was off a weeeee bit? 60d betterwear a condom to avoid unwanted issues

not even a 1d would survive that!

My Flickr (external link)

vos07
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2012 16:25 |  #9397

Rivest wrote in post #14521541 (external link)
Ahah! My bad! Not 12 inches but 2.

But well, looks like my 60D didn't like the rain. At least not that much rain. Even if I had a plastic bag over it when not in use.

Screen got all foggy from the inside, condensation I guess. But the D-pad stopped working (all direction + ''SET'' button), buttons were getting stuck pressed in, viewfinder focus point weren't lighting red anymore, list goes on...

Hope it'll all comeback working fine once it dries out.

It's amazing what electronics can survive after they dry out. I found some kid's Iphone in the weeds along the sidewalk the other day after being out for 3 days in 2 huge storms. Plugged it in for 10 min and called "mom" in the phonebook :lol:

Mike
Flickr (external link)
500px  (external link)

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 02, 2012 16:41 |  #9398

vos07 wrote in post #14521625 (external link)
It's amazing what electronics can survive after they dry out. I found some kid's Iphone in the weeds along the sidewalk the other day after being out for 3 days in 2 huge storms. Plugged it in for 10 min and called "mom" in the phonebook :lol:

Ah, that's nice! At least you didn't sell it back on CL. Or maybe you asked for a reward :lol:

But yeah, still waiting on it to dry out. Still does not work properly.

The good news? Rewind and repeat for tomorrow! :(

Hi, I'm David.

MikeDee
602 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 02, 2012 16:45 |  #9399

Rivest wrote in post #14521676 (external link)
Ah, that's nice! At least you didn't sell it back on CL. Or maybe you asked for a reward :lol:

But yeah, still waiting on it to dry out. Still does not work properly.

The good news? Rewind and repeat for tomorrow! :(

I've heard putting it in a bag of rice helps suck out the moisture?? Might be worth a try.

5D III | 80D | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Ʃ 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM C | Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 | Metz 50 AF-1 | Yongnuo YN 560 III/IV | Flashpoint AD360 | The Rest of My Gear | Flickr (external link)

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 02, 2012 19:02 |  #9400

Immaculens wrote in post #14521514 (external link)
My computer crashed. Was trying to delete a partition on a USB drive where Readyboost no longer worked. Error, and my screen began flickering. I rebooted and Windows would not reboot and after several attempts of troubleshooting with rescue disks - no use.

Loosing all my original Raw files & jpegs & stuff back in 2009 was enough for me.

i use carbon clone here on my macbook pro. back it up at least twice a week to an external hard drive so in the event of hard drive failure, i can slap another hard drive in and restore it to within a few days of my last back up.

feedback

gear list

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,131 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 02, 2012 19:16 |  #9401

jay125 wrote in post #14522089 (external link)
i use carbon clone here on my macbook pro. back it up at least twice a week to an external hard drive so in the event of hard drive failure, i can slap another hard drive in and restore it to within a few days of my last back up.

I bought a back-up drive as a Christmas gift for my mac friend. I told her today my PC crashed but luckily I had a recent back-up and it reminded her to do a back-up... been 5 months for her

She is not a photographer so does not have daily or weekly files that 'need' back-up like we do. I'll look up Carbon clone for her...

I'm just installing my Adobe products and all my Windows updates are done so next I will create an Image.

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 02, 2012 19:17 |  #9402

Immaculens wrote in post #14521514 (external link)

the easy way to transfer your files is
remove your hard drive from your desktop or your laptop what ever
then put the hard drive in a case
then transfer all your files to other computer ( only the files you want )
then format that hard drive and return it back to your computer
and put your system from the begining and install it with all your Fav software

and if you dont have a second computer
you have to buy a second hard drive
put the new to your computer and remove the old one which had your files
install the system to the new
and put the old drive in a case and use it as an external hard drive with all your files

but if your hard drive is broken
this will be a long story

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,131 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 02, 2012 20:16 |  #9403

I partitioned my C drive so Win 7 stays on C and I have all my personal files/photos/music on the partitioned (E:) drive.

Then I have a 1 TB external drive that has a back-up of my (E) drive - as well as - a copy of my Lightroom Catalogs (backing up your Raw files is smart - but the Catalogs hold all your edits and history), presets, and customizations, and all my Adobe software presets & customizations.

Reinstalling Win 7 is easy stuff, and then I pop in my backed-up Lightroom catalogs, etc, etc - and Voila.

Now I am creating an (C) Image so its even easier next time. It will have all my Windows updates and Adobe software in perfect state.

If my hard drive fails, I have Win7 disks and my ext. backup drive.

Every re-installation gets easier and easier.

Eventually - I'll store a copy off-site.

moltengold wrote in post #14522137 (external link)
the easy way to transfer your files is
remove your hard drive from your desktop or your laptop what ever
then put the hard drive in a case
then transfer all your files to other computer ( only the files you want )
then format that hard drive and return it back to your computer
and put your system from the begining and install it with all your Fav software

and if you dont have a second computer
you have to buy a second hard drive
put the new to your computer and remove the old one which had your files
install the system to the new
and put the old drive in a case and use it as an external hard drive with all your files

but if your hard drive is broken
this will be a long story

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 02, 2012 22:42 |  #9404

Immaculens wrote in post #14522133 (external link)
I bought a back-up drive as a Christmas gift for my mac friend. I told her today my PC crashed but luckily I had a recent back-up and it reminded her to do a back-up... been 5 months for her

She is not a photographer so does not have daily or weekly files that 'need' back-up like we do. I'll look up Carbon clone for her...

I'm just installing my Adobe products and all my Windows updates are done so next I will create an Image.

it's good you had it saved. for me, i do 2 things. one backs up the files and folders and stuff, so i can move them to other machines if i wanted to and the other clones the hard drive itself with everything included, and i can boot off of the external hard drive if i needed to and it acts just like the internal hard drive. carbon copy cloner saved my butt and hours and hours of work twice now. i won't own a mac without having that in place. mac has time machine but for me that doesn't even come close to matching what carbon copy cloner does. in about one hour i have a perfect clone of what my machine was before a crash, including bookmarks, files, folders, software...everything. it's a good thing ;)

feedback

gear list

3DZukini
Goldmember
1,297 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 02, 2012 23:52 |  #9405

jay125 wrote in post #14522773 (external link)
it's good you had it saved. for me, i do 2 things. one backs up the files and folders and stuff, so i can move them to other machines if i wanted to and the other clones the hard drive itself with everything included, and i can boot off of the external hard drive if i needed to and it acts just like the internal hard drive. carbon copy cloner saved my butt and hours and hours of work twice now. i won't own a mac without having that in place. mac has time machine but for me that doesn't even come close to matching what carbon copy cloner does. in about one hour i have a perfect clone of what my machine was before a crash, including bookmarks, files, folders, software...everything. it's a good thing ;)

I've been relying on Time Machine to save me... worked once when internal HD failed under warranty and I was able to restore almost entirely from Time Machine. But it sounds like I'll have to look into Carbon Copy Cloner, I like the idea of replacing a failed drive with a fresh drive and having an exact copy in place. How easy is Carbon Copy to use and how much does it cost? I'm planning on ordering one of the new Mac Pros when they get announced soon and I want to plan out keeping important stuff backed up good from the start. I'm planning a SSD for the main drive, so it won't be too large. Will Carbon Copy make a disk image file s I have an exact copy of a working setup, all software installed?
Sorry for the off-topic, but you guys happened to be discussing something related to my current plans. I love my 60D! ;)

Call me Erich. :) 6D, 60D | 18-135 IS | 50 ƒ1.8 | 28-75 ƒ2.8 | 24-105 ƒ4L | 70-200 ƒ2.8L II | 11-16 ƒ2.8
Flickr (external link) ~ 500px (external link) ~ Taproll (external link) ~ effectivimage
 (external link)

sponsored links

1,252,552 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 60D Users, Unite! (3)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.