Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Dec 2011 (Thursday) 12:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking to Upgrade Body, On a Budget (Have an XSI)

da9k1ne
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 29, 2011 12:27 |  #1

So i'm looking to upgrade my body for the new year.

I currently have a very good condition Rebel XSI that I like, but I'm looking to move on.
(I will be selling this on here if anyone is interested)

I've been doing some research and it seems like the 50D is the best bet for my budget. I want to spend around $500, a little less if possible. Not interested in a grip or anything, just simply a body.

Can anyone please give me some personal experience info on the 50d and if it would fit my needs? I also am thinking about a T2i, but the 50d seems to be a better camera.

I like the rebels, but wouldnt mind trying to use one of the xxD series for the better feel/performance.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,011 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 29, 2011 12:31 |  #2

I can vouch for the 50D. It is my primary body, as I find that the high pixel density really does help me to capture more fine detail in the birds & mammals I photograph.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 29, 2011 13:14 |  #3

Would a like new 40d be considered an upgrade from my xsi?

Even though the xsi has more megapixels?

altitude604
Goldmember
1,665 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 29, 2011 13:27 |  #4

da9k1ne wrote in post #13615855 (external link)
Would a like new 40d be considered an upgrade from my xsi?

Even though the xsi has more megapixels?

Depends on what you consider an "upgrade" from your XSi.

I had an XSi for nearly three years and it took me a long time before I felt I needed to replace it with something "better". It has some of the best IQ of the Rebel series and I made enough money selling photos from it to pay for itself and my recent body upgrade.

What is it about the XSi you feel that isn't doing it for you? Ergonomics? fps? AF performance? ISO performance?

Erik - Three Miles Final (external link)
- Gear List -

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 29, 2011 13:33 |  #5

altitude604 wrote in post #13615925 (external link)
Depends on what you consider an "upgrade" from your XSi.

I had an XSi for nearly three years and it took me a long time before I felt I needed to replace it with something "better". It has some of the best IQ of the Rebel series and I made enough money selling photos from it to pay for itself and my recent body upgrade.

What is it about the XSi you feel that isn't doing it for you? Ergonomics? fps? AF performance? ISO performance?

I do like the xsi. I've just noticed its not very good in low light and tends to hunt with my 50mm 1.4.

Even in my house at night with lights on I feel like I need to bump the iso up to at least 800 in order to get a fast enough shutter speed and have it not hunt.

I have heard the xxd models also feel a lot better in your hand while shooting.

altitude604
Goldmember
1,665 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 29, 2011 13:38 |  #6

da9k1ne wrote in post #13615952 (external link)
I do like the xsi. I've just noticed its not very good in low light and tends to hunt with my 50mm 1.4.

Even in my house at night with lights on I feel like I need to bump the iso up to at least 800 in order to get a fast enough shutter speed and have it not hunt.

I have heard the xxd models also feel a lot better in your hand while shooting.

Best thing to do is go to a Store and physically handle the models you're interested in.

I personally skipped over the xxD's in favour of a 1Ds-Series but that's just what worked for me and I came across a deal I couldn't refuse.

Before that however, I was looking at the 50D as an upgrade. Some folks here will say that the high ISO performance on the 40D is better but in the 50D you get MA which is handy, the magnesium body and a pentaprism viewfinder which is nice for manual lenses.

Erik - Three Miles Final (external link)
- Gear List -

butcherman
916 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Dec 29, 2011 14:35 |  #7

I went from the XSi to the 40D and love it. Much better feel in my hands, the magnesium body and the viewfinder. Sold my XSi and kit lens and added a Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC OS Macro HSM lens and am one happy camper!! :D

Canon 7D, Canon 50mm F1.8 STM, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM , Yongnuo YN560 IV

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 29, 2011 14:46 |  #8

butcherman wrote in post #13616261 (external link)
I went from the XSi to the 40D and love it. Much better feel in my hands, the magnesium body and the viewfinder. Sold my XSi and kit lens and added a Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC OS Macro HSM lens and am one happy camper!! :D

did you notice any downgrade in image quality? you're just the person i'm looking to talk to if i cant find a 50d within my price range

muskyhunter
Goldmember
1,137 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 29, 2011 14:52 |  #9

i went to the 60D upgrade and wouldnt be happier.

StructuredAmazing
603 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 29, 2011 15:23 |  #10

da9k1ne wrote in post #13615613 (external link)
So i'm looking to upgrade my body for the new year.
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Can anyone please give me some personal experience info on the 50d and if it would fit my needs? I also am thinking about a T2i, but the 50d seems to be a better camera.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

get a 5D Mk II hehehe...
Or the 60D or T2i
both seem pretty good

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil"
StructuredAmazing forever.
My website: Pending...

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 29, 2011 16:25 |  #11

the 60d is out of my price range.

i think i've narrowed it down to the 40d or the 50d based on some research.

if i can get a 50d for around 500 that would be ideal.

if not, i dont want to spend over 400 for a 40d.

any other options you guys can think of to improve my xsi problems with searching in low light for focus and low iso capabilites?

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 30, 2011 04:42 |  #12

da9k1ne wrote in post #13616795 (external link)
any other options you guys can think of to improve my xsi problems with searching in low light for focus and low iso capabilites?

you might want to look at a couple of comparison sites if you upgrading for better ISO or low light performance from the XSI
e.g.
http://www.dxomark.com (external link)
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CO​MPS01.HTM (external link)

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 30, 2011 11:09 |  #13

Okay so I'm for sure getting either a 40d or 50d in the next week.

Is the ~100 or so more dollars worth it for the 50d?

If ma is worth it alone, I have the 50mm 1.4, 18-135, and a 8mm fisheye

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 30, 2011 13:13 |  #14

50D is an excellent camera. I like mine and continue to use it along side my 5D II.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 30, 2011 13:35 |  #15

I was on upgrade path and just recently went from XTi to the 50D - Couldn't be happier. The biggest issue I faced with my XTi was limited ISO range and ergonomics. Higher res sensor and faster drive was just the bonus. Got it for under $600 used, YMMV.

The 50D is a really well built camera and lovely to use. The LCD on the back of this thing is night and day compared to my XTi. Find yourself a good used copy and you'd be happy as a clam :)

Photography is the art of exclusion

sponsored links

4,656 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking to Upgrade Body, On a Budget (Have an XSI)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.