Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 Dec 2011 (Friday) 23:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

any recommendations on a custom calendar company?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 30, 2011 23:11 |  #1

I didn't think I'd be doing any calendars this year, but I've gotten requests for a few, so I'm going to have a few made for special customers.

I always used Photo Works for wall calendars. Their "Parquet" design was classy, and the overall quality was supreme. Unfortunately, Photo Works was absorbed by Shutterfly. I looked at the Shutterfly options, and frankly, none of them look like they come close to the superior quality I enjoyed from Photo Works.

So, I'm asking if anyone here has gotten excellent quality, custom individualized wall calendars printed from an online service.

I'm only doing a few, by request, and I want the best available. I'm not concerned about price - the Photo Works calendars I had gotten in the past were upwards of $30 each, and I would gladly pay that if I could get the same quality. Of all the services I've seen online, many are much less expensive, but none of them appear to have the excellent quality and classy design of what I am used to.

Any recommendations?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,589 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 31, 2011 08:30 |  #2

Where to print photographic calendars?

Since you used a descriptive title, the forum has done a mini-search for you. Look at the links at the very bottom left hand corner of this page.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,104 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 31, 2011 08:55 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #3

If it's any help, Tom, stay far away from Costco, Office Depot, or Staples or others like them.

For two years I did calendars with MPIX. I have not for the last two years, so do not know if they have changed. However, the quality was supurb. Heavy stock. People told me that they like the calendars so much, after they expired they cut out and saved the images. That's a testimony to good printing quality. Reasonably priced at about $20. (I did the spiral bound "flip" type.)

Website (external link) |

Tom ­ Reichner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 31, 2011 13:09 |  #4

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I've looked at the info here, as well as on the other POTN threads about this topic.

So far, I'm leaning towards MPIX. I do think their paper stock and printing quality would be excellent. However, they don't offer a big 15" by 26" calendar like Photo Works offered. The largest MPIX seems to offer in a monthly design is 12 by 18. And the design choices aren't very conducive to what I want to do. Darn, I wish Photo Works was still around!!!

Any further suggestions are still very welcome.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,104 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 31, 2011 14:37 |  #5

Tom Reichner wrote in post #13625681 (external link)
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I've looked at the info here, as well as on the other POTN threads about this topic.

So far, I'm leaning towards MPIX. I do think their paper stock and printing quality would be excellent. However, they don't offer a big 15" by 26" calendar like Photo Works offered. The largest MPIX seems to offer in a monthly design is 12 by 18. And the design choices aren't very conducive to what I want to do. Darn, I wish Photo Works was still around!!!

Any further suggestions are still very welcome.

I could be very wrong here, BUT I do believe (I remember seeing) that if you don't like MPIX's templates, you can root around their site and get mechanical specs on designing and submitting your own concept from a blank canvas.

PhotosGuy
75,589 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 01, 2012 11:24 |  #6

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #13624662 (external link)
If it's any help, Tom, stay far away from Costco, Office Depot, or Staples or others like them.

FWIW, my local Costco is excellent! What you really should stay away from is "AutoCorrect ON".

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,104 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 01, 2012 16:45 |  #7

PhotosGuy wrote in post #13629288 (external link)
FWIW, my local Costco is excellent! What you really should stay away from is "AutoCorrect ON".

I have never ordered online from any lab without first verifying they will allow AutoCorrect to be turned off, then making sure it was.

FWIW, the subject of the post was calendars, so that is what was referenced in my post. Visit the local Costco and take a look at the calendar samples. They are horrible! The paper is pathetic - thinner than some magazines. The image quality is flat. Not to mention the fact that you must use one of their preset templates, can't do bleeds, and on, and on.

As to prints - if that's what you are referring to - yes, I agree. Decent quality for the price. AFAIK they still use DryCreek profiles and if you know what you are doing in PS, also softproof, you can get some good prints from them.

Apollo.11
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 01, 2012 16:49 |  #8

I've ordered calendars from mpix the last few years. I'm happy with the quality.

Some Stuff

sponsored links

1,889 views & 0 likes for this thread
any recommendations on a custom calendar company?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.