Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 14 Nov 2005 (Monday) 22:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mother Church night shots

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,229 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 15, 2005 21:26 |  #16

You've done it again, Scott. These images rival some of your large panos, although fundamentally different, of course. They are absolutely superb. I have been looking for an opportunity to try HDR, but haven't been taking any landscapes. I'm sure I'll find some when I go west again.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

sponsored links
Scottes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Nov 15, 2005 21:43 |  #17

Thanks Elisabeth-Ann, Bob and Stan. I appreciate the kind remarks!

Stan, don't be afraid of the city shots! I bought the camera for outdoors landscapes, migrated to a lot of bird shooting, but I've been having a blast in Boston lately. It's different, no doubt, but the opportunities are endless. I'm sure that St Petersburg and Tampa would yield some interesting stuff. I drove over that bridge (Sunshine? Something about Sun??) years before I had my camera. I would love to get a shot of that bridge today!

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info (external link)
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,229 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 15, 2005 22:21 as a reply to  @ Scottes's post |  #18

Scottes wrote:
Stan, don't be afraid of the city shots! I bought the camera for outdoors landscapes, migrated to a lot of bird shooting, but I've been having a blast in Boston lately. It's different, no doubt, but the opportunities are endless. I'm sure that St Petersburg and Tampa would yield some interesting stuff. I drove over that bridge (Sunshine? Something about Sun??) years before I had my camera. I would love to get a shot of that bridge today!

Actually, Scott, I have been thinking of doing some night shots here, just because I am bored. However, I had not thought of that as an opportunity for HDR. My interest in HDR has been strictly for those outdoor shots with a huge DR. I'll have to re-think this.

BTW, so many visits to the Pru Building and I don't recall ever seeing that church. Pity.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

aleksey
105 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 16, 2005 06:31 |  #19

great snaps.....well done!!!!!

Canon 50D, Canon 300D, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L, Canon 100mm Macro USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Canon 18-55mm, Tamron 80-210mm f4/5.6, , Manfrotto 055Xprob + 4882RC

www.aleksandralennon.c​om (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lennona (external link)

Nidz
Goldmember
2,408 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 16, 2005 06:37 |  #20

I like the second picture. Well done.

Stop or I'll Shoot!
10 Years on POTN Forums!
Canon 350D | 70-200f/4L | ef35-105mm | ef100-300mm | 50mm f1.8 etc..
Some of my Photos (external link)

jdkeck
654 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 16, 2005 08:18 |  #21

Sclott,

Excellent work. There is still enough contrast that it looks natural. Any chance you could post one of the images so we could see what a single frame looked like?

Jeff

Life is not measured by the number breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

Scottes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Nov 16, 2005 08:50 |  #22

This is the brightest RAW image in the series, and what I would have posted if I hadn't played with HDR. Note though that the image below has no post-processing beyond resize and sharpening. Most dramatic is the perspective correction applied to the image above. But pay attention to the lights - the difference really shows off some of HDR's really good stuff.

IMAGE: http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/MotherChurchRAW.jpg

Here's a rollover page that will flip back and forth between the two images: http://www.itsanadvent​ure.com/postimages/Mot​herChurch.html (external link)

Hmm, when flipping between the two I noticed that the HDR version lost a lot of the light that hits the square tower. The HDR version is quite dull now, for that section. This shows off some of what's bad about the HDR process - or at least my skills with it.

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info (external link)
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

jdkeck
654 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 16, 2005 11:56 |  #23

Scotty,

Thanks for the single image. I agree the square tower looks better with the stronger shadows from the stones and the highlighted face. This may be overly picky, but I like the stars in the single image. They are keen small details for me in a spectacular picture..

Jeff

Life is not measured by the number breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

LazyPhotographer
Goldmember
3,163 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Nov 16, 2005 20:07 |  #24

These are really wonderful.... truly impressive!

LazyPhotographer: One who uses a telephoto lens to shoot pictures out the car window or from a balcony. :arrow: No Bird Posts Left Behind, dammit! :twisted:

Gary ­ Fairhead
Cream of the Crop
12,425 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 16, 2005 21:17 |  #25

Amazing photograph. Every stone in the building appears to be well presented. The night sky is nice and the reflections are superb. The second shot has many of the same elements just more subdued. The faint shimmer in the reflection is great.

Gary Fairhead C/C welcome .....

Canon 30 D,50D, Canon 500 F4 IS, 400 F5.6L ,200 F2.8L, 28-105mm F3.5-4.5, 1.4X TC/, Canon 580EX /Canon 100 2.8 Macro
http://www.pbase.com/p​hotofair/root&page=all (external link)

MazerRakhm
Colonel Mustard
2,277 posts
Joined May 2004

Nov 17, 2005 14:48 |  #26

:shock: I LOVE that second pic, it's sweet!

Thanks for looking!
-Kevin
Monkeys are the key to the universe. Since I couldn't find an Oompa Loompa, I am employing monkeys to porter my equipment and be my assistants.
Pearls of Wisdom...
Now remember Ralphie, if you're nose bleeds; you're either picking it too much or not enough. - Chief Wiggam
30D, Kit lens, 70-200 f2.8L, Nifty 50, 16-35 f2.8L
***ksmith.smugmug.com (external link) *** LiveJournal Blog (external link)***SportsShooter Member (external link)***

sponsored links

2,876 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mother Church night shots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.