Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 02 Jan 2012 (Monday) 08:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

small discreet camera bag

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 02, 2012 08:25 |  #1

I have been looking for a small discreet camera bag to hold my D60 w/ 18-200 kit lens and a 10-22 (both with hoods). I would also like room for a flash, pocket rocket, micro cloth, memory card holder and a CPL.

My budget is set at $130.

With being retired I am not planning on growing a collection of lenses and therefore do not feel the need to have a bag larger than my current equipment requires.

Is the Domke F3x too big for my equipment? I have looked at the reviews and it seems like a great bag. But it seems to me that I might be able to find something just a little smaller. Unfortunately, the only camera shop (within reasonable driving distance) I have available is a Walmart. So I am trying to select a bag via the internet, which is not easy to do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
Gear List

sponsored links
_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 02, 2012 08:33 |  #2

That or a Crumpler 5MDH would be perfect.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

tomcat7886
Goldmember
3,277 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 02, 2012 09:11 |  #3

Wise words from a Crumpler Man :lol:

Canon T2i | 18-55mm IS Kit | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC | Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoommmmm! | Black Canon Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace
Crumpler on Sale: BLACK https://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=industry+di​sgrace

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 02, 2012 09:19 |  #4

Look at the smallest version of the Lowepro Stealth Reporter, a very wellmade pro bag at a very reasonable price. It's about $80. The next size up will also be good.

Photos courtesy B&H (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

camera ­ dude
275 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 02, 2012 09:44 as a reply to  @ tvphotog's post |  #5

I am not sure if it fits your definition of discreet - but I love my Think Tank Speed Demon. Fits your gear perfectly. Very comfortable to carry - great strap.

7D | Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 | Sigma EF-S 30 1.4 | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 135 2.0 L | 430EX | TT Speed Demon | Sony RX100

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 02, 2012 09:56 |  #6

I like the Domke bags, so the F3x would be a great choice. I always buy exactly what I need. If you like a canvas bag, most people will argue that they are boring. Well, I applaud boring, so no one who wants to rob me is going to look at me as a target. And the Domke gives a little more than the Crumpler bags, allowing you to fit what you need easier. For the money, Domke is a good choice.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 02, 2012 10:04 |  #7

Canvas is so nice, boring? Bah!

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 02, 2012 10:27 |  #8

+1 on the F3x.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 02, 2012 15:19 |  #9

There is the ThinkTank Retrospective series in Pinestone, looks like a messenger bag not a camera bag.

jbrackjr
THREAD ­ STARTER
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 02, 2012 17:59 |  #10

Thanks to all those who responded. After doing a little research, I think the Stealth Reporters and Speed Demon V2 look like what they are; really nice camera bags, at least from the photos I have seen. The Crumpler, Domke and the Thinktank Retro bags are the look I am going after. The Retrospective 5 looks to small and the 10 looks way to big, wish they made a Retro 7 :) just love the look of those bags.

One concern I have is the Domke does not appear to have any padding, and the other bags appear to have padding separating the cells. Not sure if this is a big issue or not.

One last question for the Crumpler 5MDH & Domke F3x, the 10-22 lens hood is quite large, do you think it will fit on the lens (off the body) or will it have to be stored separately in the third cell?

Thanks for your patients.

Jim
Gear List

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 02, 2012 18:29 |  #11

After somewhere over 30 years using Domke bags, I can say that the principal reason for adding padding to a bag is to make it stiff, bulky, and obvious. Your gear will be well-shielded by the cards, batteries, etc. that you put in the outside pockets. Yes, you should be fine with the hood reversed on the 10-22 on the F3.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

camera ­ dude
275 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 02, 2012 20:08 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #12

I you are a woman - you might like these:

http://www.epiphanieba​gs.com/ (external link)

Ginger is not bad for a guy girl bag.

http://www.epiphanieba​gs.com/#/shopginger/ (external link)

7D | Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 | Sigma EF-S 30 1.4 | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 135 2.0 L | 430EX | TT Speed Demon | Sony RX100

Paulpp
60 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 08, 2012 15:56 |  #13

+1 for Domke

Paul Powici - www.paulpowici.com (external link)
http://paulpowiciphoto​graphy.blogspot.co.uk/ (external link)

CactusJuice
853 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 08, 2012 16:27 |  #14

I can say from first-hand use the ThinkTank Retrospective bags will grow or shrink around your gear. What I mean by that is they are messenger style, unconstructed bags. If you fill the Retrospective 10 with a lot of gear, it wll naturally expand to accomodate...but if you're traveling light the bag will feel and look much narrower. The interior dimensions are similar to the Domke but I like the Retrospective because it's narrower (closer to my body).

jbrackjr
THREAD ­ STARTER
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 08, 2012 18:50 |  #15

Thanks again for the responses.

I have it narrowed down to the Domke F3x or the Crumpler 6MD in my mind. i really do like the look of the Retrospectives, it's just difficult to make a decision without the actual bags being in front of me. However, with all of the reviews available and information provided by the members here has been very helpful.

I am going to have to pull the trigger soon because it's a pain going out without a bag all the time. Sooner or later the weather will get me, and then I will have to depend on that Hefty garbage bag to keep things dry!

Jim
Gear List

sponsored links

3,602 views & 0 likes for this thread
small discreet camera bag
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.