Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 13:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there a problem with having too many B&W images in a portfolio?

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 03, 2012 13:14 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Looking at my recent portrait photos, I feel as though quite a few would benefit from a B&W conversion due to the strong contrasts with snowy scenery, and it seems like my B&W images always get the highest praise, however I'm worried that if I don't include a good mix of colour (at least 40-60) potential clients will be scared off thinking that's all I can do, am I just paranoid?

19 year old photographer with a 5D, and some L glass.
500px - Jamesr (external link)
Graphic Design Services Offered

sponsored links
jwp721
771 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 03, 2012 13:51 |  #2

May not be your case but....... B&W is often used as a crutch to fix images that were not exposed properly to begin with. If you find that the majority of your images look better in b&w or that more people comment positively on your b&w images.... then you may want to have someone review your color images.

Personally I think a mix of 10-20% b&w is about right.... but my clients may have completely different tastes than yours. It is all about knowing your potential clients and the style you are trying to create for yourself.

John

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 03, 2012 13:57 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Yeah, I know it's sometimes used as a crutch, but sometimes you just see an image and know it has perfect tones for B&W, it's not that I think my colour photos suck, it's just that the ones that I find fitting for the B&W conversion just feel better..maybe it's just me.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 03, 2012 14:21 as a reply to  @ Shadow on the Door's post |  #4

I think that too much of any one thing in a portfolio is not necessarily good. A portfolio should be representative of your capabilities both photographically and in post. It's a personal choice and you will get a feel for the effectiveness of your portfolio by the customers reaction to a certain degree. Some people put too much selective coloring in their portfolios (for example) and IMO this is just as bad as too many monochromatic images. It does give suggestion to the viewer of your style but do you want to go to customer and have them think that this is what you predominantly do.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 03, 2012 14:22 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

I suppose the thing is that the style of my B&W looks so different than my colour, I guess my problem may fall back to the fact that I still haven't found my own "look".

Krzysztof
124 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 03, 2012 14:37 |  #6

Check this link out http://www.helenbartle​tt.co.uk/index.php (external link)
I bet Helen get's a ton of clients even though she is incapable of shooting color. ;)

If you stick to what you love about photography, it will eventually define your style.

My tools: 1Ds ii, 135L, 85L, 85 f/1.8, 50 f/1.4, 24-70 f/2.8

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 03, 2012 14:39 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

While that would be awesome, I dream of doing professional commercial work..how many record companies, ad agencies, etc would want to hire someone who only shoots B&W? I just need to figure out my colour style..I really like cinematic processing but again, that's pretty niche.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,373 posts
Gallery: 355 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 03, 2012 14:49 |  #8

Your portfolio should show what you can do, what you are capable of. If you rely too heavily on one style, thats what people will expect of you. If its loaded too heavily with one style, you are sending a message thats what they should expect of you. For portraiture, thats not a bad thing necessarily a bad thing because people might hire you for your style. For commercial work, you probably need a balance.

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 03, 2012 14:53 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

so you're saying it's bad to have a style?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,373 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 03, 2012 15:00 |  #10

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13640591 (external link)
so you're saying it's bad to have a style?

I'm saying a style can help or hinder depending on the work you want to do. If you do portraiture, or architectural work then having a style can help get you work. It gives people some idea that they can look at your work and then imagine that style applied to their job. But its a double edged sword. If they look at your style, and lets say its pronounced, lots of high contrast, or black and white, or other styles and they are looking for something else then they wont go any farther. If you want to do commercial work then it might be better to show more versatility without too strong of a style influence.

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 03, 2012 15:07 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

ugh, this is so frustrating..in another thread I was told that my portfolio was lacking because it was too diverse and I hadn't developed a style, I can't seem to get a straight answer on these things.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,373 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 03, 2012 15:10 |  #12

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13640661 (external link)
ugh, this is so frustrating..in another thread I was told that my portfolio was lacking because it was too diverse and I hadn't developed a style, I can't seem to get a straight answer on these things.

Sorry, like it all comes down to what sort of work you are trying to get. The style thing cuts both ways.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,946 posts
Gallery: 236 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 03, 2012 15:26 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #13

I don't think style has to be all inclusive of your work either. You could have one style for your color work and a totally different style, or look, for your black and white images. For portraits for example, you might have one gallery of portraits done in color showing that style and another gallery showing b&w portraits with its own unique style. I think that might be more effective than mixing a certain percentage of b&w portraits amongst the color portraits in a single gallery.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 03, 2012 15:30 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Well the way I have my site set up, my best shots are all displayed on a home page slider, with a menu above to go to the specific sets. I don't have a ton of work to showcase right now so if I divided everything into black and white and colour, I would have some very small galleries. www.jamesrphoto.com (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 03, 2012 15:36 |  #15

I personally seldom do a B&W conversion so can't give you an answer from my own experience.

There are some "greats" whose work, at least that which you commonly see, is B&W. In fact, Ansel Adams took a fair number of color photos later in his career, but never printed any -- it wasn't until after he died and the trustees of his photo collection went through his transparencies that they discovered thousands of unpublished/unprinted color photos! He just wasn't happy with the process for printing color photos back then...but of course that process has come a long ways, and now there are books, or at least one book, with some very nice Adams color prints!

Anyway, one thing you could do, something that I've considered if I ever "seriously" delved into B&W processing, is to have a "section" of your portfolio/online gallery dedicated to B&W, and then one for color photos. That way your viewers could have a choice, and some folks may really enjoy the B&W style, whereas others may be more interested in what you can do with color and may stay out of the B&W section entirely...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

2,021 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there a problem with having too many B&W images in a portfolio?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.