Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 04 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 07:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Heading to Yellowstone/Tetons this fall advice

J.Litton
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 04, 2012 07:02 |  #1

We are planning a family trip out West next year. We went their last July and had a great time. I was looking for someone very familiar with the area, or possibly who lives there to help us better gauge when we should head out this year. We are interested in a few things

1. Getting great wildlife images (moose, elk, and hopefully bears/wolf)
2. Getting great panoramic and landscape images.
3. Seeing new things

We were figuring that the first two weeks, or maybe the 2nd and 3rd week in September would be a good time to go since from what I have been reading, most the animals are in rut and much more active than over the summer.

Any help would be appreciated!

7D MK II.17-40L.100-400L.500L
www.jlitton.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/jlitt​on.nature.photography (external link)

sponsored links
RikWriter
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 04, 2012 10:28 |  #2

The best time to go IMHO is early Spring. Around the second two weeks in May. Newborn elk and bison are out, which brings out the wolves and bear.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwrite​r (external link)

J.Litton
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 04, 2012 10:33 |  #3

Thats unfortunate, that early isn't in the cards for us.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,832 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 05, 2012 21:10 as a reply to  @ J.Litton's post |  #4

We did the last week that Yellowstone Inn was open in October and then moved on to Grand Teton. Unformately the wife went into cardia arrest in Jackson. We spend the rest of October at the ICU in Idahao Falls before I could get the wife medvaced back to Atlanta. She is doing well now. Having her safe at home was the BEST Christmas present ever.

The point is....get Medjet or similar medevac insurance policy. If you or family member has an accident or other medical problem...your major medical policy will not bring you home. Medjet will bring you home when you are stable enough for transport. We got the policy before going to South Africa 18 months ago. We need dreamed we would use it in the States. If I had to have paid for the jet to bring my wife home it would have set us back well over $20,000. Her flight did not cost me a cent beyond our annual policy cost. :D

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 06, 2012 22:42 |  #5

We went through Yellowstone late July last year and although we saw a lot of wildlife and the scenery was beautiful I would prefer the time of Sept that you are planning. The months of June and July have many families vacationing, Yellowstone is crowded as are the motels for miles around. A Sept trip would have school back in session, less people and traffic, wildlife will be more at ease. Elk and deer will be out of velvet, rut should be starting, temps will be cooler.
I'm sure there will be someone more familiar with the area than myself to give tips as new things to see, you just can't go wrong in Yellowstone. My regret, I did not own my Canon at the time, have some good pics but could have done so much better.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

nikmar08
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 07, 2012 16:18 |  #6

I had almost everything from travel to stay sorted out for a visit last year based on inputs I got from the thread below but had to cancel the bookings due to unforeseen personal circumstances. Hope this helps...
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1011642

____O
__( \ \_
((_)/ ((_)
Nikhil | Gear List & Market Feedback | Flickr (external link)
Support POTN by donating here: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

jamganz
Goldmember
3,252 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 18, 2012 14:49 |  #7

[QUOTE=J.Litton;136442​00]We are planning a family trip out West next year. We went their last July and had a great time. I was looking for someone very familiar with the area, or possibly who lives there to help us better gauge when we should head out this year. We are interested in a few things

1. Getting great wildlife images (moose, elk, and hopefully bears/wolf)
2. Getting great panoramic and landscape images.
QUOTE]

Can't say I'm from that area but was out there a few years ago. I stayed just south of Tetons in town of Wilson. Took the Moose Wilson Road into Teton park early several mornings. It turns into a windy unpaved road after you enter the park. There is a nice marshy area just at the 'foothills' of the Tetons. Get there early at sunrise....plenty of Moose, elk, etc...out at that time having 'breakfast'. Shook my daughter out of a sleeping coma one morning to come along with me and we got some pics that are absolutely priceless. Unfortunately, I was using a P&S at the time so I guess I have to go back! :)
Also, saw plenty of Bison up at Yellowstone. Enjoy!!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 20, 2012 00:55 |  #8

September is a good month to be in Yellowstone. For wildlife image opportunities, I would try to be there the last two weeks of the month. Early September can still be summer-like, with no trace of rutting activity from either the moose or the elk. By the time mid/late Sept rolls around, both the elk and the moose will have definitely shed their velvet, and rutting action will be well underway. This is really the type of behavior that makes for more interesting imagery.

Another benefit to later in the month is that the Whitebark Pine nuts will be ready for the bears to eat. This brings both black and grizzly bears down to the areas where they are most readily seen and photographed - particularly, along the roads in the Dunraven Pass area.

Be sure to keep an eye open for opportunities to photograph the littler critters such as Pikas, Snowshoe Hares, and the like. September is a great time for Pika photography, as their feeding and cacheing activity is at its absolute peak.

I hope you enjoy looking forward to your trip, researching the area, and making detailed plans - that's half the fun!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

J.Litton
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 25, 2012 10:54 |  #9

For bears, and wolves, am I better off paying and going out with a photo guide, or just trying to find them on my own?

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 04, 2012 05:57 as a reply to  @ J.Litton's post |  #10

We were just there the week of June 4 2012.

Landscape shots abound, but the Grand Tetons and the canyon area of Yellowstone are outstanding locations.

The Tetons from Mormon row are simply drop dead beautiful.
Wildlife is literally everywhere. Largest problem we had was getting to the Lamar Valley early or late in the day. We stayed in Teton Village, so it took almost 4 hours to reach the Lamar Valley.

Check out my Flickr page for some shots.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/55056358@N04/ (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 04, 2012 07:24 |  #11

I guess it depends on which route one takes to get farther north, but we've always made sure we stopped by Rapid City, SD to see the American bison in Custer State Park. Seeing that many head of "buffalo" roaming wild is amazing. I can't really imagine seeing herds the size they were before they were almost driven to extinction.

We haven't made the trip since moving to Florida. We lived in PA before that and that was the most direct route.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

WHB
90 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 05, 2012 18:52 |  #12

I was there the beginning of June last year (2011) and saw bear...moose...coyotes (pups) and plenty of bison! You can't miss the bison! Plenty of landscapes...still snow on the Tetons...and Mormon Row is, as stated above, to die for! I didn't make the effort to get to the locations where I might find wolves...didn't make the time!

5d gripped/5d gripped/ Canon 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS/ Canon 17-40mm 4L/ Canon 100mm 2.8 L/ Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L/
www.hithercreekphotos.​com (external link)

J.Litton
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 07, 2012 21:13 |  #13

Getting excited. Heading out that way next week :0

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,653 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 11, 2012 14:31 |  #14

Was in the Tetons last July 4th (2011). Hitting Glacier next week.

As for the Tetons, Moose Wilson road is great for moose in the marshes just off the road as is the Gros Venture River - watch the river edges. Bison, antelope and elk in the Mormon Row/Antelope Flats/Gros Venture area. I found some black bears along Moose Wilson Road too.

As for grizzlies, you either have to head to Yellowstone or hit Willow Flats which is where 399 hangs out (unless park service hs moved her). Great location for elk also. There's also frequent grizzly sightings along the road from Willow Flats to Yellowstone. Just drive slow, let the racers pass and move on slowly, watching the meadows and river edges.

You might also try Signal Mountain Rd. for black bears, as I understand that area is healthy with them.

Most of all, slow down and enjoy the beauty of the area. Gourgeous surroundings with or without all the wildlife.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,010 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 11, 2012 23:10 |  #15

Visited your photo site. Left some comments in your guest page.

Enjoy your trip, and look forward to see some of your images when you return.

My Gear flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,742 views & 0 likes for this thread
Heading to Yellowstone/Tetons this fall advice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.