Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 05 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 15:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need a new monitor

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 05, 2012 15:20 |  #1

I have a HPLP2475w that I have never been happy with as my main monitor, it has never impressed me and I always felt like for $600 it is a piece of crap. I just replaced one of my secondary monitors with a Dell 2209WA and wow for $200 it looks a lot better than my HP.

I've been wanting to get the NEC PA271W-BK-SV but I am just not sure I want to spend $1600 on a single monitor after being porked on this HP one. I was tempted in getting an Apple display but with Thunderport now they don't work on PC's anymore and I don't want to buy the older model.

Any suggestions on something that is excellent but cheaper than $1600. I know there is a 24" version of the NEC that is cheaper, but I wanted to go for a 27" if I am buying a super high end monitor as the 27" has better resolution and if I remember correctly has better IQ.

The HP always has a color cast, never calibrates well, and is not very sharp. Side by side with the 2209WA, images just look soft. I've been wanting to do this for a long time now, but after dropping in a 2209WA on my PC, it just confirms how bad the monitor is. I thought about a bigger higher end version of the 2209WA.

I've been debating about just getting an iMac 27" for photography and other stuff, but I not a big mac fan.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I am willing to spend some money on a good monitor, but not sure I want to drop $1,600 on just a monitor right now.

I really like the idea of NEC's integrated calibration system and I know their monitors are amazing from what I hear.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links
Moppie
15,051 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 05, 2012 15:37 |  #2

LCD technology has improved quite dramatically in the last few years, the new Dell and HP models are very good, almost as good as the NEC and Eizo's.

I recently got a Dell 2711 (27inch) and it's fantastic.
You do need a displayport connection to get the most out of it and it is wide gamut, but I've been impressed with the image quality.
It calibrated very well too.

It's cheaper than NEC, about half the price.
The NEC is the better monitor, it will calibrate slightly better and you'll see more details in the blacks, but the difference is small, not enough for me to justify the extra cost.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

Saxi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 05, 2012 17:33 |  #3

Moppie wrote in post #13652787 (external link)
LCD technology has improved quite dramatically in the last few years, the new Dell and HP models are very good, almost as good as the NEC and Eizo's.

You do need a displayport connection to get the most out of it and it is wide gamut, but I've been impressed with the image quality.

The NEC is the better monitor, it will calibrate slightly better and you'll see more details in the blacks, but the difference is small, not enough for me to justify the extra cost.

What you use to calibrate your Dell?

Full Gear List

Moppie
15,051 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 05, 2012 17:57 |  #4

Just a Spyder 2, which works very well.
The newer 3 apparently works better and there is a version 4 on it's way as well.

flickr (external link)

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

Saxi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 05, 2012 20:49 |  #5

Anyone know how the newer Apple Displays compare to the NEC & Dell monitors?

Full Gear List

Saxi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 05, 2012 20:50 |  #6

Moppie wrote in post #13652787 (external link)

Why do you need a display port to make it work better? Using DVI won't take full advantage of the monitor?

Full Gear List

Moppie
15,051 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 06, 2012 01:18 |  #7

Saxi wrote in post #13654381 (external link)
Anyone know how the newer Apple Displays compare to the NEC & Dell monitors?

From the reviews I've seen it's no better than the older one it replaces (uses the same panel) but being thunderbolt, will only work on thunderbolt enabled computers (which currently means only current generation Macs).

Compared to the Dell it's almost as good, but not quite and neither are quite as good as the NEC.

Saxi wrote in post #13654386 (external link)
Why do you need a display port to make it work better? Using DVI won't take full advantage of the monitor?

Most panels are only 6bit, or 8bit, the 2711 is 10bit which means smaller graduations in areas of tonal change.
It's a small difference, but to see it you need a full 10bit workflow, which means a 10bit graphics card display port.

flickr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 07, 2012 05:56 |  #8

I'd rather use a good 24" + a cheap 20" then one good 27"…

On the display port: You need windows7 (no 10bpc on OSX yet), a compatible graphics card and PSCS5 to be able to use 10bpc.
http://forums.adobe.co​m/message/3267860 (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Moppie
15,051 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 07, 2012 14:57 |  #9

René Damkot wrote in post #13662074 (external link)
I'd rather use a good 24" + a cheap 20" then one good 27"…

On the display port: You need windows7 (no 10bpc on OSX yet), a compatible graphics card and PSCS5 to be able to use 10bpc.
http://forums.adobe.co​m/message/3267860 (external link)

Yip, I did a little digging yesterday, it appears only the Firegl and some of the Cuda cards support it.

flickr (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 07, 2012 16:02 |  #10

After doing some research I went with a Dell U2212HM, the color and overall image is good, once calibrated. I prefer 16:10 to the 16:9 I have, i'd actually rather have a square monitor but they don't make those.

I calibrated with a Spyder 3 express. A link to the pro edition is here (external link), just because I have that link lying around. The 4 is out but not on amazon etc yet i'm told, personally i'd wait for the 4 given it's been released, or order it direct from the manufacturer.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Saxi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 08, 2012 12:48 |  #11

I'm leaning towards this right now (HP HP ZR30w), but I am not a big fan of HP monitors after my HP LP2475W, but this seems like the best option right now (I am also a gamer, and low input latency is important).

Right now I am considering the following:

HP ZR30w 30"
NEC PA271W-BK-SV 27"
NEC PA241W-BK-SV 24"
Dell U2711 27"

I currently run a Dell 2209WA / HP LP2475W / Samsung 226CW setup.
I would scrap the Samsung, the HP will go to the left in portrait and the dell on the right in portrait.
I also considered just getting two NEC 24".

Full Gear List

Saxi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 09, 2012 08:56 |  #12

I'm leaning towards U3011 or the PA27 now.
I am not quite sure how the NEC will handle gaming where I know the Dell can handle it. I use this box for gaming as much as I do for photography so input lag (or lack thereof) is important.

I like the integrated calibration system of the NEC, although I have a Spyder 3 Elite, I hear it is a lot better calibration system. I just don't want to spend that much on a monitor to find out it doesn't handle gaming well.

Full Gear List

sponsored links

1,245 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need a new monitor
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.