Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 06 Jan 2012 (Friday) 12:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Apparel shoot for clothing company catalog help

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 06, 2012 12:40 |  #1

I was contacted to do a apparel shoot for a small clothing company's catalog. They want shooting with people wearing the clothes doing everyday tasks outdoors. Shots like, drinking coffee, reading newspaper, hanging out and such. There will be 3 assistants available to help me.

This is my first "commercial" type shoot. I would like some guidance on getting this correctly.

Camera bodies: 5D2 & 7D-backup
Lenses: 70-200 2.8L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 50mm 1.4
I am thinking of just sticking wit the 5D2 and 70-200. I LOVE this lens at the 200mm end.
What type of DOF do I want for commercial shots? Should I probably shoot at f/4 or maybe move towards f/8 for best sharpness?

Lighting equipment available:
Lights: Alien Bees b800, b1600, Canon 580EX2, 420EX , light meter
Power: Vagabond 2 portable power
Modifiers: large soft box, Alien Bees beauty dist, 1x42" umbrella2x 36" umbrella, 2x 32" umbrella - all convertible black w/white or black w/silver
Boom arm, 6-in-1 reflector

What lighting setup do you guys recommend?
Any tips and suggestions? Any additional equipment I need? Do I need another Alien bee light for hair light with grid box?

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 06, 2012 17:52 |  #2

Anyone?

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

Moppie
14,837 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 06, 2012 18:07 |  #3

There is no nice way to say it, if your asking these questions, then your in over your head.

Have you discussed the theme with the company, done any story boards?

Have you visited the locations, confirmed access, discussed the style with the stylist and make up and hair artists?

We can't help you with your lighting set up as we don't know anything about the location, the time of day, or even what the ambient light will be like.
You might not even need to use lights.

Like wise, we don't know if you like to shoot with a shallow DOF, of if there will be lots of background distractions, or if your keeping the set 2 dimensional, or adding lots of depth so we can't help with aperture settings either.

I can suggest you sit down with the people involved and do some more serious planning before the shoot.
Then YOU can work out these things to suit the environment your shooting in, of if it's unfamiliar try and describe it to us and we can try and help.
Taking photos of the location would help.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 06, 2012 19:15 |  #4

Well, thanks for the comments. This is what I wanted to hear. They themselves, appeared to have use 'point and shoot' type people before. I do not think they have a stylist or make up nor hair artists. My 'contact' person plans to use her family members and friends to 'model' the clothes.

The environment will be something like a mall, or coffee shop or something. They have not finalized the location as yet. The person heading the project is a recent graduate, so I might have to guide her somewhat as well, so these questions you pose will be good to meet with them and discuss the direction they are trying to proceed in.

Here are some example images of what they had before.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1101.photobuck​et.com …essorman/4-2520pdiscl.jpg (external link)

http://i1101.photobuck​et.com …essorman/58-m110March.jpg (external link)

http://i1101.photobuck​et.com …/professorman/5​1-hats.jpg (external link)

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 06, 2012 19:30 |  #5

Moppie wrote in post #13659828 (external link)
There is no nice way to say it, if your asking these questions, then your in over your head.

Have you discussed the theme with the company, done any story boards?

Have you visited the locations, confirmed access, discussed the style with the stylist and make up and hair artists?

We can't help you with your lighting set up as we don't know anything about the location, the time of day, or even what the ambient light will be like.
You might not even need to use lights.

Like wise, we don't know if you like to shoot with a shallow DOF, of if there will be lots of background distractions, or if your keeping the set 2 dimensional, or adding lots of depth so we can't help with aperture settings either.

I can suggest you sit down with the people involved and do some more serious planning before the shoot.
Then YOU can work out these things to suit the environment your shooting in, of if it's unfamiliar try and describe it to us and we can try and help.
Taking photos of the location would help.

+1, this is a very good post. You have to decide on what you want to do, we can't tell you more than this. Go talk to the client and see what they want/need. Do planning. Get permissions, sort out models and make up artists etc.

There is a lot more work involved than just taking photographs.

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 06, 2012 19:49 |  #6

Thanks. I just spoke with her on the phone. It might end up being a bit disappointing. No MUA, No stylist, hair, etc. She wants "everyday" shots of them.

I checked out some of the 'competition' and you guys are right. It needs a lot more work than this. She plans to use friends and family as models. The competition definitely put the work into getting good images, but I am thinking that she wants to stick with friends and family. They are definitely harder to work with than actual models. She seem to have an 'every day' people idea going on. She says that they sell to 'screen printers', which are people who print on the clothes and sell them as retailers.

How strongly should I suggest to her that they need more work?
It is a small company, so their budget is low.

Moppie
14,837 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 06, 2012 20:37 |  #7

professorman wrote in post #13660350 (external link)
Thanks. I just spoke with her on the phone. It might end up being a bit disappointing. No MUA, No stylist, hair, etc. She wants "everyday" shots of them.

So they want a casual style, but are not going to get it with out actually putting some effort in.

What they need are photos are that showcase their clothes, it sounds like they are trying to get that with out a budget, and that will never work.

See if you can push them to at least pay for some make up and make sure you have someone there to make sure the clothes are always looking their best.

The best thing for you do to is keep it simple.
Focus on correct exposures of the models and clothes (who cares about the background), and tight framing with good compositions that show cases the clothing (this isn't about the model).
If the models are family and friends then you will need to direct them in away that shows off the clothes.

Keep your lighting very simple, the less to worry about the better.

I would be inclined to forget the light altogether and just use a reflector if needed.

I had a look at your flickr and there are some shots of a family under a wharf/pier, that is what you should be aiming for. Do what ever you did then :)

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 07, 2012 15:00 |  #8

Can you trade in one or two of the assistants for a MUA and/or hairstylist?

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 08, 2012 07:39 |  #9

nathancarter wrote in post #13663969 (external link)
Can you trade in one or two of the assistants for a MUA and/or hairstylist?

Assistants are 'friends and family' as well. :cry:

fraiseap
131 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 09, 2012 05:55 as a reply to  @ professorman's post |  #10

I agree with the comments about the requirements for a decent catalogue shoot. Friends and family, no MUA, no hair stylist - it is not the way to go.

However, you say their previous stuff is done with a P&S by the company themselves so getting something a bit more polished should not be too difficult.

Here is what I would do

1. Put out a casting call on Model Mayhem for models, MUAs and hair stylists. If the shots get published (even in a small catalogue) this will be very attractive to these creatives who are developing their books (portfolios).

2. Ask the MUA to do a very natural style of makeup

3. Get the competitors catalogues and study the poses. Show these poses to your models.

4. Lighting; use a large softbox or octabox above and to one side for a very soft light. Use fill (probably a fill;key ratio of 1;2 or similar)

5. Use the 24-70 at between f/8 and f/11 - remember you need 3/4 and full length shots, the 70-200 will be too long IMO

"If I ever get satisfied, I'll have to stop. It's the frustration that drives you." - Eve Arnold

http://www.adamfraise.​com (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 09, 2012 12:23 |  #11

fraiseap wrote in post #13672346 (external link)
5. Use the 24-70 at between f/8 and f/11 - remember you need 3/4 and full length shots, the 70-200 will be too long IMO

Agree with everything except for this last point. Unless you're in a medium-small studio space and you can't stand far away, the 70-200 works just fine for portraiture, and all but eliminates the possibility of perspective distortion on the model's limbs and features because you've got to stand a moderate distance away. As a plus, the AF on my 70-200 f/4 is always spot on, and it consistently produces excellent results.

One other thing that I just remembered: In his "Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It" seminar, Kelby recommended shooting a standing fashion model from waist-height or lower - that is, crouch down, or put the camera on a low tripod. I can't say for certain WHY this is the right thing to do, though it's worked well for me in the past. (he also used the 70-200 lens during the whole seminar; it was held in a very large indoor space so he had plenty of room)

fraiseap
131 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 10, 2012 03:45 |  #12

nathancarter wrote in post #13673982 (external link)
Agree with everything except for this last point. the 70-200 works just fine for portraiture, and all but eliminates the possibility of perspective distortion on the model's limbs and features because you've got to stand a moderate distance away.

But that is the point, the OP is not asking about portraiture (for which, I agree, the 70-200 is great). Almost all of my full length fashion work is shot with the 24-70.

"If I ever get satisfied, I'll have to stop. It's the frustration that drives you." - Eve Arnold

http://www.adamfraise.​com (external link)

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 22, 2012 13:39 |  #13

Okay, I have gotten a MUA. Now, I am on a mission to try to boot the "friends and family" and get at least aspiring models at a minimum.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 23, 2012 14:10 |  #14

You might consider hiring one experienced model who knows what poses look good, and who can help with directing and posing the "friends and family." That may be an easy way to get good-looking results while still managing the expenses and meeting the client's wishes to use friends and family.

The MUA may be able to help with this as well, but be sure to discuss it beforehand; don't just expect them to jump with in with this additional task on the day of the shoot.

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 23, 2012 18:09 |  #15

Great news today, she likes the people who contacted me on model mayhem, so she is trying to book a few of them. Hopefully it will come together.

sponsored links

5,541 views & 0 likes for this thread
Apparel shoot for clothing company catalog help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.