Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 07 Jan 2012 (Saturday) 02:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Video Editing Software, Windows Live Movie Maker Help???

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 07, 2012 02:29 |  #1

Hello All,

I am having problems with Windows Live Movie Maker on our two newer computers, running Win 7 (64bit). We have a lot of short .mov clips I'm trying to splice together, taken at the same time with the same setting, and there is one file (13min) that the program only plays as a blank screen. It displays nothing with that clip wheras all the other clips run fine.

1) Any suggestions on fixing this?

2) Otherwise, can you recommed a free program with drag and drop features similar to the simplicity of WLMM? I need to be able to save them to the computer as well as have the ability to burn to DVD. It also needs to be able to handle 1080p high def files as we will soon begin to shoot in.

Thanks!

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links
John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 07, 2012 03:12 |  #2

You get what you pay for. A blank file would suggest memory handling issues and might be resolved by either adding more RAM or getting a better graphics card.
There might be a work around through cunning settings (I had a similar issue with Sony Vegas) but you would most likely need to trawl forums dealing specifically with that software or relative to your graphics card.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 07, 2012 08:21 |  #3

John Sims wrote in post #13661858 (external link)
You get what you pay for. A blank file would suggest memory handling issues and might be resolved by either adding more RAM or getting a better graphics card.
There might be a work around through cunning settings (I had a similar issue with Sony Vegas) but you would most likely need to trawl forums dealing specifically with that software or relative to your graphics card.

Thanks for you input but that's definetly not the issue. My laptop and our desktop both have sufficient video cards and Ram.

I downloaded VideoPad last night (it's free also, btw) and it will incorporate all the short video clips into one long video clip as desired with no issues. I'd still prefer to stay with Windows Live Movie Maker though because of the simple layout and it's faster.

It wasn't included in Win. 7 but they have a download available, however it has some known quirks at the moment that Microsoft hasn't addressed. I was just hoping someone on the forumn had found the proper and specific fix in this instance. Many report having compatability issues with Quick Time (.mov) so I may end up converting them if I decide to stay that route.

Thanks

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 07, 2012 08:36 |  #4

Ralph III wrote in post #13662384 (external link)
....... My laptop and our desktop both have sufficient video cards and Ram........

Awesome. I've always found that no matter how much RAM you have there always comes a time when you want more. ;-)a

Are you sure the software is addressing all the RAM available?

I have no doubt Windows Live Movie Maker is popular - free things often are. I am sure Paintbrush is equally popular for editing still images. That said, there is a reason why people pay thousands of pounds for professional software and there are far better packages available than Movie Maker for under £100 IMHO.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 07, 2012 11:28 |  #5

I previously used Windows Movie Maker, but bought a cheap editor Serif's Movie PlusX5 seems pretty good so far, but I'm a newbie at this stuff. They do a free download of a previous version if you want to try it.

http://www.serif.com/f​ree-video-editing-software/ (external link)

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

cruleworld
330 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 07, 2012 11:32 |  #6

My first guess was Windows Movie Maker doesn't support MOV but I looked it up (external link) and I was wrong. I sorta agree with John though, you do get what you pay for. And since you haven't paid you don't get much.

JOSH SORENSON|MY SITE (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 07, 2012 13:08 |  #7

I wasn't very impressed with Movie Maker. Its great that Windows throws it in there for free of course, but hindsight is 20/20 and knowing what I know, I would (and did) get Vegas Platinum. For $60 someodd bucks, it was much more powerful and effective. If you only edit video once every 6 months then it probably wouldn't be worth it to spend any money, but if you edit more regularly than that, it would pay for itself very quickly.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Codda
222 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 07, 2012 14:01 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #8

It has nothing to do with the fact MM is a free default video editing program...it's not a ram issue either...My suggestion is to split the clip...drop it into the timeline...split it up...without transitions it will play and render seamlessly...You may be able to see if there is a corruption by splitting it up...

exwintech
Gone, but not forgotten . . .
551 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 07, 2012 14:53 as a reply to  @ Codda's post |  #9

Ralph III - I'm not familiar with the last few versions of Windows - but the problem might just be that the video program "doesn't like" the algorithms in your camera's version of Canon's H264/MOV.

Putting MPEG4-AVC (H264) - inside Apple's proprietary MOV container can upset some video-editors. Here in Linux, Kdenlive (similar to Sony's Vegas Pro) - happily accepts my Canon SX10 and Fuji HS10 "H264/MOV" files directly - but the apparent same H264/MOV from a friend's other camera brand - it didn't want to know about. Said "Corrupt file" or "File no contents" - and just displayed a pale green rectangle.

I used Avidemux (free for Windows, Mac, Linux) - to convert one of his files to plain H264 - giving a "filename.mp4" output - and Xvid, "filename.avi". Both then worked well. For Windows, you could convert to Standards Compliant MPEG4 (*.avi) - if you don't have Xvid installed. A Windows program might not 'like' Xvid, even with the program installed.

With Avidemux, you can also append (join) - clips, retaining audio. There are also Filters for de-noising, brightness, contrast, saturation, and more.

Regards, Dave.

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 07, 2012 15:37 as a reply to  @ John Sims's post |  #10

John Sims: "Awesome. I've always found that no matter how much RAM you have there always comes a time when you want more".
;-)a

John, maybe you should start out with more RAM.:)

This isn't a RAM issue. I manage a home office and am quite familiar with computers over many years, btw. I've also used this program with no issues, on computers that were significantly inferior to what we have now.

This is a software issue.

John Sims

I have no doubt Windows Live Movie Maker is popular - free things often are. I am sure Paintbrush is equally popular for editing still images. That said, there is a reason why people pay thousands of pounds for professional software and there are far better packages available than Movie Maker for under £100 IMHO

First, I would NEVER pay a pound for anything! Second, I'm sure there are people who pay money for excellent photo and video editing software. I've done so myself.

In this instance however, I just need something to splice together some home made video clips and free is fine.

Thanks anyhow.

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 07, 2012 15:54 |  #11

Codda wrote in post #13663718 (external link)
It has nothing to do with the fact MM is a free default video editing program...it's not a ram issue either...My suggestion is to split the clip...drop it into the timeline...split it up...without transitions it will play and render seamlessly...You may be able to see if there is a corruption by splitting it up...

Our thinking is alike Codda, but I ran out of time last night in trying that suggestion.

I definetly think it has something to do with handling the larger file, as it has no issue whatsoever with any of the other files. Which are all exactly alike. So you have to rule out any incompatability issues with camera format, as some thought possible.
---------------

It may not matter at this point anyhow, because the VideoPad editor is doing an excellent job for what I want. It's very similar to the Windows Movie Maker layout and has a number of excellent additional features.

It's just slow at saving the finished product, but I think it is only because I was converting and saving the .mov file to another format.

Thanks for all the input guys!

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

exwintech
Gone, but not forgotten . . .
551 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 07, 2012 15:59 as a reply to  @ Ralph III's post |  #12

Ralph III - For what you actually need to do - Avidemux will do it. Plus rather more if you then find you want to.

Download and install it - do as always check the download with your AntiVirus, if using Windows, before running the executable.

Avidemux is basically very easy to use - mostly point-and-click - and choosing the correct options. It does have online tutorials.

However - if you prefer - with it installed - you could post back, saying exactly what you need to do - and we can do a first-time walk-through to get you going with it...

I began using Avidemux in Win XP years back - and have used it in Linux for over 7 years. Friends here using XP - and some do have programs like Vegas Pro and Ulead, so on - also use it.

I do my "initial prep" with out-of-camera H264/MOV video with it - while also having all of the free video-editors in Linux - Kdenlive is the one I mostly use.

Regards, Dave.

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 09, 2012 00:33 as a reply to  @ exwintech's post |  #13

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I'm happy to say that "Windows Live Movie Maker" is working fine after all.

It goes through an optimization process so until that has completed, some large files may only preview as blank. I thought my largest video clip was either corrupt or a limitation of the program, because it always showed as a black screen whereas the other (smaller) clips showed perfectly.

Anyhow, I left the project alone for about an hour after which I could edit and preview with no issues. The new Windows Live Movie Maker is quite a bit better than previous versions as well (better layout, more effects).

Exwintech, I downloaded Avidemux the other day (CNET, as always) but didn't like the layout. It doesn't have a timeline and I couldn't figure out how to add multiple files/clips?

At that time, I downloaded VideoPad Video Maker. It has a similar layout to Windows Movie Maker but with a few more advanced editing capabilities. It will load the clips fast but saving a project was outrageously long (8 hrs.) for a 40min video. Windows Live Movie Maker is a little slow up front, but it saved the project in a fraction of the time (30min.).

Thanks for the help......

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

sponsored links

3,911 views & 0 likes for this thread
Video Editing Software, Windows Live Movie Maker Help???
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.