Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Jan 2012 (Monday) 10:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Iceland Air

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 09, 2012 10:02 |  #1

Hi

I'm going to Iceland next week with Iceland Air.

I've taken my kit a few places now and never had a problem.. but browsing their website I was horrified to see the 6KG (13.2 pound) limit for Hand Luggage..:eek:

This is 4KG less than every other flight I've been on including the Flight from my Island to London which is 10KGs limit on Hand luggage

Has anyone experienced Iceland Air and their silly weight restriction with their Kit? how strict are they?

There is no way my Backback would withstand going in hold nor would I want it too. with the kit in so at the moment I'm taking my huge coat that I can fit as much as I can in the pockets.

Has anyone had trouble with their kit at the airport and still been able to carry on their kit?

Many thanks..:)

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 09, 2012 12:18 |  #2

I've never traveled on them but I am well acquainted with their rules as I worked in the airline industry for a long time and I had a good friend that worked for them based in Canada. They do have a reputation for enforcing the rules rather stringently.

Any gear can be packed to withstand traveling in the baggage hold. I do it all the time. I have more gear than can fit in the overhead, particularly if I am traveling to shoot wildlife. If I am going for that purpose I will travel with my 300 f/2.8, 500 and 600 f/4.0. Most will recommend the use of a Pelican type case but that just screams that something valuable is inside it. I have use very good hard sided suitcases and then pack my personal items around my gear. My gear has made dozens of trips to several different continents and have never had a problem.

You run a risk if you try and sneak extra weight past the various check points. Plus you have alot of points that you have to get it past. Your first point of contact is at the check-in and this is the point where they have started to weigh carry-on luggage. It should be noted that many of our domestic airlines are starting to do the very same thing. Then you have get it past security, the gate agent and finally the flight attendant. Any of these have the authority to demand that your luggage be checked. If you are not prepared you can see your simple backpack that, as you say is not packed well, go below as a gate bag tag. I've seen it happen and no amount of whining or demanding is going to change that. There are other industries that travel with expensive items and there is no facility to exempt photographers simply because many feel they are entitled to carry on what ever they want. I've seen people get as far as standing at their seat and the flight attendant notices that they are struggling to put something obviously heavy or over sized in the overhead and then they make them take the item to the gate agent to have it put in baggage. Its not a pretty sight. Putting extra lenses or other items in pockets is just plain silly and risky. You still have to take that jacket off and put it through security and its weight will get noted. I have witnessed people getting hauled away in handcuffs over a dispute with a gate agent. They are there to serve the public and will not stand for any arguments and police are just a short distance away.

My recommendation is that you should pack to the regulations and if that means wrapping some of your lens in your clothing and packing that is what you should do. Are you prepared to have them take your back pack from you as you board. There is also the chance that you could get past everyone with extra weight. It is a chance that you have to asses the pros and cons of. Personally having traveled for years with checking part of my gear I am comfortable doing it. Lugging a heavy carry on around airports is a pain. There are other risks that are associated with checking your gear in that it is possible that it can be stolen. Before everyone jumps all over this, there are so many different people that have access the the baggage makeup rooms at airports it is impossible to say that it was an employee of that airline that might have lifted it. Caterers, fuel agents and literally anyone you see at an airport can gain access to baggage checked in. It is not as bad as it used to be when organized crime was involved in this at some large airports.

I still get lots of information from the airlines due to my previous involvement and it is only going to get more stringent. They also feel the pressures of competition and the down turn in the economy. They will always look for new sources of revenue and not that I can blame them much. The traveling public had it pretty good for many years but now they are starting to pay for most services, its just the way it is. We hate it when someone does something that affects our bottom line. Airlines are the same and they will enforce rules.

I'm interested in what you decided to do so hopefully you will come back and tell us how it went.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 09, 2012 16:22 |  #3

ssim wrote in post #13673954 (external link)
I've never traveled on them but........

............I'm interested in what you decided to do so hopefully you will come back and tell us how it went.

Sheldon thank you for your comprehensive reply,I had intended to put gear I 'Could afford to lose' in the hold, Tripod, Flash, batteries etc, I've been a victim of theft from my hold luggage before which worries me with putting any lenses/bodies in, not to mention the way bags get thrown about and bounce around the baggage conveyor belt.

Getting a little worried now,I had a little test today, and with just a gripped 5Dii,gripped 7D and 70-200 2.8ISii it came to 7.5KG, going to do a proper dry run at the weekend with everything including hold luggage....... very suprised with the 6kg limit of Iceland Air... can't recall ever seeing one as low as that.

Many thanks again.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

sagray
309 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2008

Jan 10, 2012 11:45 as a reply to  @ *Jayrou's post |  #4

Wow, that is a pretty difficult limit. I've traveled with them before, but I didn't have that much gear with me. If it was me, I'd do what you are doing - put the less valuable items like flash, batteries, and such in the checked bag. Maybe even put the grips in there, too.

I guess it would also be wise to consider what you're intending to shoot, and tailor your lens selection accordingly. That 70-200 is a beast, and you might enjoy the challenge of just going with your primes (If I did my math right, the 35, 50, and 100 add up to about the same weight as the zoom.) Heck, I might even consider leaving my longer lenses at home (easy to say now, but I love the wide vistas of that country.)

40D, 5D (Classic)
Sigma 17-35 EX, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS), Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 135mm f/2L
2 AB400s, 1 Einstein, 2 Canon 580EXIIs, Canon 430EX, Vivitar 285HV, old Quantaray POS
flickr (external link) | Gray Imagery (external link)

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 10, 2012 13:48 |  #5

sagray wrote in post #13680085 (external link)
Wow, that is a pretty difficult limit. I've traveled with them before, but I didn't have that much gear with me. If it was me, I'd do what you are doing - put the less valuable items like flash, batteries, and such in the checked bag. Maybe even put the grips in there, too.

I guess it would also be wise to consider what you're intending to shoot, and tailor your lens selection accordingly. That 70-200 is a beast, and you might enjoy the challenge of just going with your primes (If I did my math right, the 35, 50, and 100 add up to about the same weight as the zoom.) Heck, I might even consider leaving my longer lenses at home (easy to say now, but I love the wide vistas of that country.)

Thanks for your reply, I thought about the grips last night, I'll try a dry run over the weekend.

I guess it would also be wise to consider what you're intending to shoot,

I've considered thinning down.. even taking one body, but I've waited a long time for a dedicated photo holiday and would hate it if I had a 'I wish I had that' moment while I'm there.
My gear link doesn't show a 17-40 I'm borrowing either..:confused:

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

sagray
309 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 10, 2012 14:06 as a reply to  @ *Jayrou's post |  #6

Gotcha. Best of luck with the trip. I wish I was going! You'll probably get some nice aurora shots if the weather holds for you.

40D, 5D (Classic)
Sigma 17-35 EX, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS), Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 135mm f/2L
2 AB400s, 1 Einstein, 2 Canon 580EXIIs, Canon 430EX, Vivitar 285HV, old Quantaray POS

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 10, 2012 14:39 |  #7

I've traveled on them three times between the US, Europe, Iceland, and back again.

Every time I had a LowePro Computrekker AW Plus stuffed to the brim with two bodies, bunches of lenses, a 17" Macbook Pro and countless other doodads, foods, books, you name it. The thing probably weighed 40 pounds. Nobody said a word.

I would not worry about it at all. And check your tripod, I've lost count of how many times I've flown with a tripod checked with no issues.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 10, 2012 14:42 |  #8

sagray wrote in post #13680874 (external link)
Gotcha. Best of luck with the trip. I wish I was going! You'll probably get some nice aurora shots if the weather holds for you.

Thanks

Yeah that's my plan.. can't wait.. 9 days to go.:D

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 10, 2012 16:22 |  #9

mikekelley wrote in post #13681096 (external link)
I've traveled on them three times between the US, Europe, Iceland, and back again.

Every time I had a LowePro Computrekker AW Plus stuffed to the brim with two bodies, bunches of lenses, a 17" Macbook Pro and countless other doodads, foods, books, you name it. The thing probably weighed 40 pounds. Nobody said a word.

I would not worry about it at all. And check your tripod, I've lost count of how many times I've flown with a tripod checked with no issues.

Really Mike?.. that's encouraging, I'm not putting any lens or body in checked baggage.

Would you say your bag would fit in the baggage size limits when loaded?.. I've not seen one in the flesh but would imagine they could look quite large, I have a Vanguard up-rise 48 which is borderline without gear.

Thanks for posting.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 10, 2012 16:59 |  #10

I fly a lot and here's a trick I use: wear a big coat and fill your pockets...a grip, a flash, a small lens, etc will all fit comfortably...there's no weight limit on your jacket haha...

I always wear cargo shorts/pants and jackets (unless it's the middle of summer) for flying to increase my carry-on limits haha...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sagray
309 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 10, 2012 21:43 |  #11

Make sure you look really shifty, and sweat a lot, too. LOL

FWIW, I don't think they even thought about weighing my carry-on bag, but that was several years ago.

40D, 5D (Classic)

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 11, 2012 04:37 |  #12

LowriderS10 wrote in post #13681806 (external link)
I fly a lot and here's a trick I use: wear a big coat and fill your pockets...a grip, a flash, a small lens, etc will all fit comfortably...there's no weight limit on your jacket haha...

I always wear cargo shorts/pants and jackets (unless it's the middle of summer) for flying to increase my carry-on limits haha...

That's what i had planned with a big coat, I can actually fit the 70-200 in the inside pocket.. although when I walk I lean to the right...:lol:

sagray wrote in post #13683202 (external link)
Make sure you look really shifty, and sweat a lot, too. LOL

FWIW, I don't think they even thought about weighing my carry-on bag, but that was several years ago.

:D

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 11, 2012 13:23 as a reply to  @ *Jayrou's post |  #13

It's entirely possible that you can load up way past the published limits and get by just fine. Let's say you decide to do that and you get to the gate and then get challenged. I've seen it happen, many times. Just because you are at the gate with an overweight bag doesn't mean they will let you take it on. I'm simply warning you based on my many years in the airline industry.

Airline fares are not where they should be for airlines to stay healthy and they are looking for every imaginable way to get extra revenue. To that end I see the push to have carryon limits enforced and charge extra for anything over.

I do hope that you get on just fine and it is a trip I would like to take but not in the winter.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 11, 2012 14:11 |  #14

Oh yeah. And don't both with the golden circle tour, not really worth it imo, there are much, MUCH better places close to Reykjavik that are a lot more interesting and far more epic.

The LowePro bag I'm referencing fits just fine in the overhead, and with a little gentle coaxing, fit under the seat as well.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 11, 2012 18:24 |  #15

*Jayrou wrote in post #13684387 (external link)
That's what i had planned with a big coat, I can actually fit the 70-200 in the inside pocket.. although when I walk I lean to the right...:lol:

Haha no kidding...heck, I've even stuffed the ARMS of a jacket (perhaps going too far) to sneak more stuff onboard lol

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links

8,594 views & 1 like for this thread
Iceland Air
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.