Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 11 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 05:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 24, 2012 21:42 |  #496

tupper wrote in post #14626880 (external link)
Or just buy bigger SD cards :lol:

And a better computer to process those files!

Richard
Your friendly neighborhood photographer/organist-in-the-making
www.anvil.cc (external link)

sponsored links
jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 24, 2012 21:44 |  #497

artemisn wrote in post #14626938 (external link)

Absolutely, justification for more fun toys, what are you waiting for?

Jim

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 24, 2012 21:59 |  #498

jemanner wrote in post #14626946 (external link)
Absolutely, justification for more fun toys, what are you waiting for?

Photography is so pitifully masochistic. :D

Richard

tupper
Tupperware Party Sheep
2,432 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 24, 2012 22:15 |  #499

artemisn wrote in post #14626938 (external link)

RAM upgrades are amazingly cheap ;)

Ewan
SONY A7r
1N - 5D2 - 15 2.8 - 17-40L- 24LII - 50L - 85 1.8 - 70-200 2.8
O-MD - 20 1.7 - 50 1.8 - 135 3.5

ewantupper.com (external link) - facebook fanpage (external link) - twitter (external link) - 500px (external link)

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 25, 2012 00:32 |  #500

tupper wrote in post #14627089 (external link)
RAM upgrades are amazingly cheap ;)

Oooh boy, don't tell that to my Mac Mini. It was a gift, so I'm holding off on building a PC. I'm also planning a winter trip to Europe (one of the big reasons for moving to the E-M5), so most of the funds are going there.

But when I get back, maybe, just maybe! :D

Richard

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 25, 2012 08:12 |  #501

artemisn wrote in post #14627472 (external link)
Oooh boy, don't tell that to my Mac Mini. It was a gift, so I'm holding off on building a PC. I'm also planning a winter trip to Europe (one of the big reasons for moving to the E-M5), so most of the funds are going there.

But when I get back, maybe, just maybe! :D

I think it was a bit over $100 for 16gb of mini RAM.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 25, 2012 09:04 |  #502

Village_Idiot wrote in post #14628286 (external link)
I think it was a bit over $100 for 16gb of mini RAM.

And I just assumed you couldn't upgrade these things... Although in retrospect it seems like it'd be pretty simple.

I hate all of you! It looks like that another thing for the leftover 5D money to go to.

Richard

morthcam58
173 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 25, 2012 09:25 |  #503

Consider yourself lucky -- I couldn't upgrade to LR4 on XP, so had to bite the bullet and get a whole new computer. I mean, geez, it was only 6 years old.... and now that I have LR4 I can't find an OM-D anywhere!

Matt

Sold off all the Canon gear, trying Fuji now

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 25, 2012 09:28 |  #504

morthcam58 wrote in post #14628561 (external link)
Consider yourself lucky -- I couldn't upgrade to LR4 on XP, so had to bite the bullet and get a whole new computer. I mean, geez, it was only 6 years old.... and now that I have LR4 I can't find an OM-D anywhere!

"Only" six years old? My rule of thumb for my employer where I do IT work is 1 machine year = 20 human years. Your computer was 120 years old, lucky to be alive!

Jim

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 25, 2012 09:32 |  #505

jemanner wrote in post #14628576 (external link)
"Only" six years old? My rule of thumb for my employer where I do IT work is 1 machine year = 20 human years. Your computer was 120 years old, lucky to be alive!

So would constantly Frankenstein-ing in new parts be considered life support? :)

Richard

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 25, 2012 09:40 |  #506

artemisn wrote in post #14628595 (external link)
So would constantly Frankenstein-ing in new parts be considered life support? :)

I'm afraid so...

If you can afford it, I would highly recommend a SSD drive as the primary, be it a laptop or desktop. Recently bought a laptop with an i7 processor and SSD drive. With Lightroom it runs circles around a 3-year old 8-processor Zeon desktop, both with 8GB RAM. Amazing! Store your photos on a conventional hard drive, but run the O/S and apps on the SSD.

Jim

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 25, 2012 09:53 |  #507

jemanner wrote in post #14628618 (external link)
I'm afraid so...

If you can afford it, I would highly recommend a SSD drive as the primary, be it a laptop or desktop. Recently bought a laptop with an i7 processor and SSD drive. With Lightroom it runs circles around a 3-year old 8-processor Zeon desktop, both with 8GB RAM. Amazing! Store your photos on a conventional hard drive, but run the O/S and apps on the SSD.

Well, the Mac Mini can only hold one hard drive, so I'd need to store all my photos on an external connected via USB, which I think would be a bit finicky. If I was building a PC or could afford a Mac tower, that'd definitely be the plan. A friend of a friend upgraded to a monstrous SSD recently and said he could get Windows 7 booted and running in under 10 seconds, which just sounds crazy.

Richard

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 25, 2012 09:58 |  #508

artemisn wrote in post #14628663 (external link)
Well, the Mac Mini can only hold one hard drive, so I'd need to store all my photos on an external connected via USB, which I think would be a bit finicky. If I was building a PC or could afford a Mac tower, that'd definitely be the plan. A friend of a friend upgraded to a monstrous SSD recently and said he could get Windows 7 booted and running in under 10 seconds, which just sounds crazy.

Yes, the boot-up times are amazing. On the laptop, I do store the photos, some 250 GB worth, on an external USB 3.0 drive. The problem with SSD drives is the price, still darned expensive per GB.

Jim

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 25, 2012 10:03 |  #509

jemanner wrote in post #14628686 (external link)
Yes, the boot-up times are amazing. On the laptop, I do store the photos, some 250 GB worth, on an external USB 3.0 drive. The problem with SSD drives is the price, still darned expensive per GB.

Would there be any limits on processing speed with it connected via USB, though?

(Also, I found out my Mini is limited to a max of 8GB. Yay, less money!)

Richard

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 25, 2012 10:13 |  #510

artemisn wrote in post #14628714 (external link)
Would there be any limits on processing speed with it connected via USB, though?

(Also, I found out my Mini is limited to a max of 8GB. Yay, less money!)

Don't know the exact speed capabilities of 3.0., but it is several times faster than 2.0, depending on the drive/interface. Some external drives profess to take full advantage of 3.0., but do not. I go on a retailer's website such as Newegg and read the user reviews. I highly recommend you do two 3.0. drives, one for backup. As is said, it is not a matter of if a hard drive will fail, only when.

Jim

sponsored links

353,516 views & 2 likes for this thread
Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.