Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 11 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 05:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 04, 2012 15:03 |  #571

As promised, an E-M5 + Canon 135L shot:

IMAGE: http://www.pamudjiphotography.com/_for_potn/2012-07-03_m43_dof/E-M5_135L_small.jpg

3200x2400 version (external link)

Same procedure as previous sample--Raw, IrfanView used to extract JPG preview, no further processing. Normally I'd add some contrast and saturation to this photo among other things, but I wanted to show results as-is using Natural picture mode. She was about 12 feet away and background was another 15 feet or so behind her.

I have a lot of respect for photographers who learned their craft before autofocus. This manual focusing business is rough!

sponsored links
Menelaus
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 04, 2012 15:55 |  #572

Beautiful results! Love that creamy bokeh. Did you have to lock the aperture before you removed it from a Canon body?

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 04, 2012 18:02 |  #573

Menelaus wrote in post #14670697 (external link)
Beautiful results! Love that creamy bokeh. Did you have to lock the aperture before you removed it from a Canon body?

I shot it wide open at f/2, so I didn't lock the aperture on a Canon body beforehand. I kinda don't trust that workaround--sounds sketchy and likely to break something eventually. Just me being paranoid :lol:

stink ­ tooth
245 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 04, 2012 19:31 |  #574

little creek I found at the bottom of the hill at work today. It was a hellova hike to get to it too (had to go down there anyway)

OMD 45mm 1.8 with a CPL and F16 about 2sec shutter ISO 200

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7260/7504681270_5c62d172c4_b.jpg

Steve ­ Beck
Goldmember
2,503 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 04, 2012 21:49 |  #575

Some from the back yard this evening:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i363.photobucke​t.com …athfindercod/_7​040119.jpg (external link)

http://i363.photobucke​t.com …athfindercod/_7​040112.jpg (external link)

http://i363.photobucke​t.com …athfindercod/_7​040114.jpg (external link)

Gear List? My gear is bigger than yours? Just shoot have fun...

ahendarman
851 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 05, 2012 16:25 |  #576

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #14671102 (external link)
I shot it wide open at f/2, so I didn't lock the aperture on a Canon body beforehand. I kinda don't trust that workaround--sounds sketchy and likely to break something eventually. Just me being paranoid :lol:

If I may asked, which EOS adapter did you use? I keep hearing some brand has a very tight fit. I want to make sure I bought the right one. Thanks

Gear | Smugmug (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 05, 2012 19:07 |  #577

ahendarman wrote in post #14675191 (external link)
If I may asked, which EOS adapter did you use? I keep hearing some brand has a very tight fit. I want to make sure I bought the right one. Thanks

You made me dig deep into my notes to find this post I wrote a few years back (external link). There's some good info there (if I do say so myself :)) about the adapter. It says "RJ Camera EOS-m4/3" on the adapter, and I bought it from an eBay seller named "jinfinance". Unfortunately my quick searches there showed up neither the seller nor the exact adapter I have. The fit is tight but in a good way. I don't feel like I have to exert unnecessarily strong force to mount or dismount it.

Edit: found jinfinance but they don't seem to have the EF to m4/3 adapter:
http://myworld.ebay.co​m/jinfinance/ (external link)

They have a tilt adapter though, which sounds intriguing.

ahendarman
851 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 06, 2012 11:16 |  #578

Thank you for the thorough reply. The Rainbowimaging EOS adapter (external link) seems to have a good review in Amazon. It's only $22 shipped now. I think I am going to give that a try.

Gear | Smugmug (external link)

tupper
Tupperware Party Sheep
2,432 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 09, 2012 02:47 |  #579

Great camera for walking the streets, especially with the 20 1.7

IMAGE: http://pcdn.500px.net/9421225/fc8ece3b4615f9f0043de8c53eabb2b7361971d9/4.jpg

Ewan
SONY A7r
1N - 5D2 - 15 2.8 - 17-40L- 24LII - 50L - 85 1.8 - 70-200 2.8
O-MD - 20 1.7 - 50 1.8 - 135 3.5

ewantupper.com (external link) - facebook fanpage (external link) - twitter (external link) - 500px (external link)

gardengirl13
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 10, 2012 09:33 |  #580

I just want to thank everyone for this thread!!! A few years ago a POTN member told me to think about the M43 systems. Back then they really weren't all that great. The last couple months I've been having much more trouble shooting with my 60D and lenses, then three weeks ago I found this thread and the link to the mu43 forum.

I thought about it a lot and finally last week bought one from adorama (who sent me a very nice "sorry this is out of stock" e-mail, but then 5 hours later must have gotten a shipment since they shipped that same day!

Well I was worried about doing this switch, since it's kind of forced on me due to health. But I must say even with the kit 12-50 lens this OMD is amazing! I've shot over 1000 photos since last thursday night and I put my stuff up for sale. I do worry about missing things I love about the 60D but what I'm gaining vs what I'm losing makes it ok.

Problems so far (may get better as I learn more about it)
-AF seems to pick what it wants. I set it for center point and it'll still look around a bit
-EVF makes me a bit car sick if I'm wobbly or in the car (I shoot when my husband drives when we go on vacations)
-AF in video mode hunts too much

What I really like
-the weight- holy cow what a difference, it was hard for me to hold at first but after a day or two it's great
-easy macro on the kit, macro with the DSLR is tricky for me due to not holding still easily, but with the smaller sensor I have more wiggle room
-can't wait to try the primes if the "crappy zoom" is this good!
-I have it with me every day, so I don't miss any shots!

I can get shots that look like they were taken with my 60D, but it's harder to do it. I'm hoping as the camera gets settled in I'll get it to feel like second nature.

Here is my test page if anyone wants to see
http://www.pbase.com/g​ardengirl13/omd_test_ (external link)

Again thank you to everyone here! I really didn't want to have to go down to a p&s due to my health, I think it may have made me not want to shoot anymore. Now with the OMD I feel like I can keep doing this and be very happy about it! (now I just need to sell my 60D and lenses so I can afford to buy a couple primes!!)

photos (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205171

tdp_photos
170 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 10, 2012 10:00 as a reply to  @ gardengirl13's post |  #581

I like your flower shots GardenGirl

my flickr (external link) - my 500px (external link)

tdp_photos
170 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 10, 2012 10:01 as a reply to  @ tdp_photos's post |  #582

Some more shots

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Fuzzy Pineapple (external link) by Photos By 夏天 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Street Flowers (external link) by Photos By 夏天 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

House Flowers (external link) by Photos By 夏天 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Rainy Garden (external link) by Photos By 夏天 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Street Flowers (external link) by Photos By 夏天 (external link), on Flickr

gardengirl13
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 10, 2012 10:34 |  #583

tdp_photos wrote in post #14696527 (external link)
I like your flower shots GardenGirl

Thanks! I like yours too! The kit makes for great garden walk-around! Slightly wide, slightly tele and then marco. It's perfect!

and for those psych fans.......pineapple!

photos (external link)

tdp_photos
170 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 10, 2012 10:43 |  #584

gardengirl13 wrote in post #14696691 (external link)
and for those psych fans.......pineapple!

HA! They have that show on TV in the US? I had no idea.

gardengirl13
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 10, 2012 10:53 |  #585

tdp_photos wrote in post #14696738 (external link)
HA! They have that show on TV in the US? I had no idea.

yeah. I LOVE that show. I think it's my favorite of any TV show, ever. It startles me sometimes because I think I'm the only one who thinks a certain way, then Shawn will say something almost exactly like I do. My husband always teases me for saying "nip it in the butt" instead of bud. I tell him it makes more sense that way, then Shawn said it in one episode and we both looked at each other and cracked up. This has happened many times! I swear the writers have my house bugged.

photos (external link)

sponsored links

352,728 views & 2 likes for this thread
Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.