Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 11 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 05:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 19, 2012 13:14 as a reply to  @ post 14740479 |  #631

If you don't mind buying used the 100-300 often comes up for about $425. Check on mu-43 or fredmiranda. I'm tempted by it myself, but so far the 45-200 has kept me pretty happy.

sponsored links
jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 19, 2012 16:10 as a reply to  @ mpix345's post |  #632

mpix345 wrote in post #14738987 (external link)
Thanks for the link.

How do you find the grip to fit over the existing grip on the camera? In the top view picture of it it looks like it might not sit firmly.

Thanks.

there's enough space so it won't wear. There's a pin that makes it not move so no worries there. Read the thread though, it sounds like he's improved it even more since I got mine...

gardengirl13 wrote in post #14739307 (external link)
I already think I'm going with the 25 over the 20. I'd prefer the 20FL but the banding really makes me a lot more nervous then the rattlesnaking since yes it can be heard in video, but it can't be seen in photos which is more important then video to me.

I have the 20 because it's a pancake. The 25 costs more and is MUCH bigger. I've yet to see banding in my shots that's any worse than my 5Dii/5Diii produce so maybe I'm just used to it. I've heard it's also only at fast shutters and high ISOs, I keep to 1/125th and haven't really had much of an issue. Check my blog (benjacobsenphoto.com) for plenty of samples under the personal tab.

But I'm also interested in the 7-14 vs 9-18. I'd prefer the 7-14 since it seems quite sharp and has nice DR. But I can't get over not using a ND filter. I shoot waterfalls a lot and NEED a ND filter. I've seen some makeshift ones, but they still don't seem ideal. So is the 9-18 a great lens, or just ok? I haven't seen many photos taken with it compared to the 7-14. I'd rather spend less and have a lighter lens, but I need it to be as close to my old EF10-22 in terms of sharpness as I can get.

I had the 7-14 ages ago when I had a GF1 and loved it. The 9-18 is tempting because it's cheaper, smaller, and filters are easy. But it's also not as wide which is an issue for me. In terms of DR I'd say that's more the sensor than the lens though. Contrast changes though. But yeah, I used filters on my 7-14mm via the technique on my blog for the 12-24 siggy on FF. search "filters" on my site and it'll come up as "filters for lenses that don't take filters". I'm not sure if 4x6 works though, and you WILL have to deal with light leaks on the 7-14mm because of it's hood. If you're going to seriously landscape with this, it's a tough choice because the 7-14mm is the better lens but doesn't take filters (easily). If it's an add on to your DSLR, I'd go 9-18mm because it's so easy.

And for the longer range there seems to be nothing. No good primes yet, no good zooms yet. The 100-300 seems decent and is what I'm leaning towards. Should I just get that and not worry? This will be a while yet as money is an issue after spending most of it on the camera. I have enough for the prime, or one of the zooms, but not all three yet. Any other suggestions without having to get an adapter?

what about the oly 40-150? Cheap, tiny, light, good enough IQ. The pool on flickr looks promising. Plus, with the oly macro adapter it's a 1:1 macro!

also, good prime wise, the 45mm is amazing and ~90mm effective. The 75mm comes out at the end of the month (I have an email from B&H saying sometime in the next ~10 days, keep your eyes open!).

RetroBlader wrote in post #14739505 (external link)
Oops, for some reason I thought the announcement date was July 27, 2012.

It's actually July 23, 2012, so only 4 more days!

nice, I'd love a canon EVIL. It'll have to be amazing to make me switch because I LOVE the OMD, but yeah, I've gone from a GF1 to a X100 to a NEX5 to now an OMD, so I'm not tied to any one system... :lol:

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

gardengirl13
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 20, 2012 09:56 |  #633

Thanks Ben! I'll have to read your blog. With the banding it would be while shooting my husband's band. I try to keep the ISO high so I can get higher shutter speeds to stop the movement. The drummer will need 1/250+ even that and I can't freeze his sticks/hands. I don't shoot the band all that often though. Maybe I'll get the 20 for now, and then IF it's an issue, then buy something else. Like say the 14mm or 17mm which don't get much love, but the people who love them really love them. Kind of like my (hopefully soon be be sold) canon 28 1.8. People want Ls but man that little 28 is a great lens!

I'm thinking the same for the 9-18, may start with it and if it falls too short/or too soft then I'll go with the homemade filters for the 7-14. If the 7-14 was weather proof like the 12-50 I'd just go out in the rain more and not worry about the ND, but then you get reflections needing the CP! ugh!

Not really interested in the 75. I need more like 250/300 prime. I shot quite often at 250 on my 60D and wished for longer.

photos (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205171

Menelaus
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 20, 2012 10:03 |  #634

Buy a Canon 135L and a converter =)

gardengirl13
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 20, 2012 12:36 |  #635

Menelaus wrote in post #14744395 (external link)
Buy a Canon 135L and a converter =)

That defeats the whole purpose of this switch for me, which is weight related. The heaviest lens I've looked at is like 10.5ozs!

photos (external link)

gardengirl13
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 20, 2012 13:11 |  #636

Oh and I love that angle of Bash Bish! And where #17 (Enders) is taken, is it easy to get to? My health makes hiking difficult. If it's something like the easy part of Bash Bish it's fine. Also we have some great falls around us too if you're ever out this way again (we're not too far from Bash Bish)

photos (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 20, 2012 13:36 |  #637

^ where are you near bish bash? I grew up in Hillsdale... Enders is a tricky hike. Steep with cliffs that fall into the river. It's worse than the "tough"/high hike down into bash bish if I've ever seen that trail.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

gardengirl13
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 20, 2012 14:01 |  #638

I'm about 25 minutes from Hillsdale! Wow I hear the hard hike at Bash Bish can be killer! Guess I won't be going there. Have you been to High Falls in Claverack? We went there this May and it's quite nice (and a super easy trail) But I'm not sure how to get to the bottom of the main falls. We walked the little path that seemed to go down there, but it stopped at a different little waterfall that was nice, but I'd love to see the big one from the bottom without killing myself getting there!

photos (external link)

pxchoi
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 20, 2012 15:58 |  #639

I'm glad I didn't wait on Canon's mirrorless and I'm glad I didn't wait another day getting the OMD.

Patrick Choi
Portfolio (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)
EOS 7D | 580EX II | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
For Sale: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5

Menelaus
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 20, 2012 16:20 |  #640

Agreed, Patrick!

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 20, 2012 16:53 |  #641

pxchoi wrote in post #14746013 (external link)
I'm glad I didn't wait on Canon's mirrorless and I'm glad I didn't wait another day getting the OMD.

To be fair, Olympus had some pretty mediocre compact-only bodies the first couple years. It's only now that we have the OM-D. If Canon makes some good decisions, I expect we will have a good ball game going here in about 2-3 years. Of course you miss out on a lot of photos always waiting for what's next.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

pxchoi
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 20, 2012 17:30 |  #642

So, I'm trying to upload my RAW images from my OMD into LR3 and it can't seem to read the files. I've checked for updates and it says everything is up to date. Any ideas?

Patrick Choi
Portfolio (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)
EOS 7D | 580EX II | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
For Sale: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 20, 2012 17:32 |  #643

pxchoi wrote in post #14746385 (external link)
So, I'm trying to upload my RAW images from my OMD into LR3 and it can't seem to read the files. I've checked for updates and it says everything is up to date. Any ideas?

Will LR3 read them at all? I even had to download an update to read the files on LR4.

Jim

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 20, 2012 17:38 |  #644

^ you have to get LR4 RC.? or use adobe's free DNG converter.

I'm torn on the new canon EOS-M. If the EF-M mount is like EF-S in that it can take the other EF lenses, I'd love to have it with the 10-22. The other UWA options for EVIL cameras aren't great and that lens is amazing. Plus, if it has 7D IQ with an APS-C sensor it'd be an amazing portable landscape kit. My only issue with my 7D for landscapes was it's sharpness, if they fixed that with this (just use a different AA filter) it'd be epic. There's been an adapter shown in patents already, so assuming that comes out and there's no additional crop factor I'm very interested just for the UWA reason. The 7-14 is a PITA with filters and the 9-18mm isn't wide enough for me... I've been considering both though.

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

gardengirl13
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 20, 2012 18:02 |  #645

tkbslc wrote in post #14746239 (external link)
To be fair, Olympus had some pretty mediocre compact-only bodies the first couple years. It's only now that we have the OM-D. If Canon makes some good decisions, I expect we will have a good ball game going here in about 2-3 years. Of course you miss out on a lot of photos always waiting for what's next.

I agree, thinking that like the Nikon the first gen or two will stink. I don't want the first one out. I'd rather see how they do for a couple years. In the mean time I needed something now.

If they get some decent glass coming soon, like a great UWA with filters, a decent tele and maybe an upgrade to the 20 (I'd prefer it a 20 not an upgrade to another 25). I'd be all over them and never go back to canon unless I have to, or unless they really step up to the plate. They should have gone into the M43 in 2009/10, by now they'd be great!

photos (external link)

sponsored links

352,725 views & 2 likes for this thread
Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.