Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 11 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 05:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!

phil7533
379 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 23, 2013 22:18 |  #1261

stink tooth wrote in post #15814176 (external link)
have it still and love it, in fact today I just picked up the 75mm and the MKII 17mm F1.8

there is only one 17 1.8..

24 - 50 - 85

sponsored links
kponds
233 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 24, 2013 10:48 |  #1262

yes, but it's the second 17mm lens from olympus. maybe he means not to get it confused with the 2.8.

anyone have any opinions on whether the 12mm is "worth it" given the 14mm can currently be had for $180? Not too concerned about the half stop, rather the sharpness and IQ of the lenses. Is it worth almost four times the price? More interested in real world differences than test charts.

I just put in a pretty epic order at adorama:

OM-D black body
4x16GB SD card
3 extra batteries
the bigger eyepiece
25mm
45mm

and I have the JB Designs grip on preorder.

And now I've got my finger on the trigger for the 14mm on ebay. I was originally planning on getting a 12mm, but at such a big price difference it's a very difficult choice.

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 24, 2013 11:58 |  #1263

Congrats kponds!

No, the 12mm isn't 4x better in IQ. If that's all you care about then skip the 12mm. 12mm definitely has better IQ, but you're paying for other things as well such as the metal barrel, snap focus mechanism, larger aperture, and wider angle of view. If none of that matters to you I'd say get the 14mm. It's a stone cold bargain for what it does.

stink ­ tooth
245 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 24, 2013 13:20 |  #1264

phil7533 wrote in post #15860668 (external link)
there is only one 17 1.8..

17mm MKI is F2.8 I have one of those as well ;)

Menelaus
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 24, 2013 15:17 |  #1265

Took a few with the kit lens this weekend, love this thing for traveling light!

IMAGE: http://www.thenerdyfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/P4210890-1024x768.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.thenerdyfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/P4210924-768x1024.jpg

And this pic, while not great from any technical perspective, was meant as a test of the dynamic range of the sensor...not one blown out pixel. My 5D would have never pulled that off!

IMAGE: http://www.thenerdyfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/P4210913-1024x768.jpg

kponds
233 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 24, 2013 17:30 |  #1266

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #15862438 (external link)
Congrats kponds!

No, the 12mm isn't 4x better in IQ. If that's all you care about then skip the 12mm. 12mm definitely has better IQ, but you're paying for other things as well such as the metal barrel, snap focus mechanism, larger aperture, and wider angle of view. If none of that matters to you I'd say get the 14mm. It's a stone cold bargain for what it does.

Thanks,

I think I'm going to give the 14mm a fair chance. It will be nice to have a pancake lens anyhow.

Where in Mississippi are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 24, 2013 18:20 |  #1267

kponds wrote in post #15863599 (external link)
Thanks,

I think I'm going to give the 14mm a fair chance. It will be nice to have a pancake lens anyhow.

Where in Mississippi are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Jackson. Technically in Clinton, but people actually know where Jackson is :)

I think you'll love the 14mm. If you don't you shouldn't lose to much selling it.

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 24, 2013 21:43 |  #1268

the 14 is awesome if you don't mind 2.8 or the FL difference. It's TINY!!! I preferred the 14 to the 12 in every way except build.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

kponds
233 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 25, 2013 07:10 |  #1269

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #15863741 (external link)
Jackson. Technically in Clinton, but people actually know where Jackson is :)

I think you'll love the 14mm. If you don't you shouldn't lose to much selling it.

Clinton! Yeah, every couple of years we do a bike ride down the trace and we usually stay there.

I've lived in Mississippi most of my life. I was born in Amory, lived in Starkville, Meridian, various places in Desoto county, and then Starkville again.

Now I'm in Memphis though.

OM-D is supposed to get here today :D

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 25, 2013 09:40 |  #1270

kponds wrote in post #15865352 (external link)
Clinton! Yeah, every couple of years we do a bike ride down the trace and we usually stay there.

I've lived in Mississippi most of my life. I was born in Amory, lived in Starkville, Meridian, various places in Desoto county, and then Starkville again.

Now I'm in Memphis though.

OM-D is supposed to get here today :D

We're always seeing bikers up and down the Trace. Seems a favorite spot for them--nice leisurely scenic ride.

Ah, Memphis--home of lensrentals.com :lol: My wife and I were just talking the other day about how we don't make it up to Memphis enough. I think Memphis is closer than New Orleans but for some reason we never think about driving up there to visit. We'll have to fix that soon, maybe this summer.

Let us know how you get on with the E-M5.

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,149 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 25, 2013 09:53 |  #1271

jacobsen1 wrote in post #15864381 (external link)
the 14 is awesome if you don't mind 2.8 or the FL difference. It's TINY!!! I preferred the 14 to the 12 in every way except build.

It's 2.5 isn't it?

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

kponds
233 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 25, 2013 09:58 |  #1272

Yes it's 2.5

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 25, 2013 18:35 |  #1273
bannedPermanent ban

OM-D is great fun so far :)

Gear List

kponds
233 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 25, 2013 20:36 |  #1274

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #15865769 (external link)
We're always seeing bikers up and down the Trace. Seems a favorite spot for them--nice leisurely scenic ride.

Ah, Memphis--home of lensrentals.com :lol: My wife and I were just talking the other day about how we don't make it up to Memphis enough. I think Memphis is closer than New Orleans but for some reason we never think about driving up there to visit. We'll have to fix that soon, maybe this summer.

Let us know how you get on with the E-M5.

The trace is a lot easier from Nashville to Natchez. We did it backwards one year and NEVER AGAIN.

Lensrentals.com is a block away from me. I'm a very frequent customer. I tried the OM-D and 25mm out about a month ago and fell in love with it.

Got a family reunion in a few weeks and I'm going to rent a second OM-D body and the 75mm, and dual wield OM-D + 25mm and OM-D + 75mm, with the 45mm and 14mm pocketed.

I got my gear today and am setting it up, love it! Going to do some street photography, photowalking, and beerfest this weekend. I am actually loving the idea of doing spontaneous photowalks and bringing my camera to events and festivals, when i absolutely loathed it when I had the DSLR. With the DSLR I mostly went out for specific shoots, and now I feel like I can take my gear to everything.

If you come to Memphis, PM me. I am an organizer for the photography meetup group here and I'll make sure we have something fun when you come, if you want.

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 26, 2013 00:47 |  #1275

kponds wrote in post #15867735 (external link)
Got a family reunion in a few weeks and I'm going to rent a second OM-D body and the 75mm, and dual wield OM-D + 25mm and OM-D + 75mm, with the 45mm and 14mm pocketed.

I'm afraid to rent the 75mm. I know I'll have to own one the moment I shoot with it.

I got my gear today and am setting it up, love it! Going to do some street photography, photowalking, and beerfest this weekend. I am actually loving the idea of doing spontaneous photowalks and bringing my camera to events and festivals, when i absolutely loathed it when I had the DSLR. With the DSLR I mostly went out for specific shoots, and now I feel like I can take my gear to everything.

That's what m4/3 is all about for me. I used to lug around my DSLR and lenses and was actually pretty good about carrying my camera for every outing, but now with the E-M5 I have my camera with me literally everywhere all the time. My bag is half the size of my smallest DSLR bag, holds the camera and 5 lenses (or more if I want), and weighs next to nothing--I can carry it around all day without it wearing me down. Love it.

If you come to Memphis, PM me. I am an organizer for the photography meetup group here and I'll make sure we have something fun when you come, if you want.

Awesome! If I come it will be with wife and kids so a photo walk is probably out of the question, but I'll definitely ping you to at least find out what sights to see in Memphis.

sponsored links

353,301 views & 2 likes for this thread
Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.