Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 12 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 09:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My website, feedback appreciated

dngphoto
384 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 12, 2012 09:02 |  #1

Breaking out of my comfort zone here, but I would appreciate any insight that you all my have for me. Thanks!

http://dngphotoandfilm​.com/ (external link)

Sean - dngphoto&film 5dii Gripped / Σ 50 1.4 / Canon 28-135 USM / Σ 12-24 HSM

sponsored links
Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 12, 2012 09:18 |  #2

Not bad :) Taking the first steps into web design can be daunting so well done for getting this far.

A couple of things though, it feels a little off balance. By that I mean that there is more stuff right of centre on each page and a large empty space running down the left...just feels...off balance!

Also, this page (external link) - it looks slightly fuzzy to my eyes. Wordpress has obviously resized it and it makes it a little hard to look at for any length of time. I clicked on it and got a much sharper version that was more comfortable to look at.

Contact Info - make the email address clickable :)

Finally, I don't really like the gradient bars at the top...a clean white page would look better.

Remember, these are just my opinions so don't take them as absolute law, I know nothing! ;)

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

dngphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
384 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 12, 2012 10:29 |  #3

Mike, great points...thanks for your time and suggestions

PeterBuzzrain
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 15, 2012 09:53 |  #4

Hello!

Here goes my opinion:

- Your logo doesn't look good and it doesn't mix with your design. I suggest that you replace with a bigger font with a transparent background.
- Get rid of the "get a comment" text and center the post on the middle of the screen.
- Replace "Welcome to..:" with something that describes you and what you do. Example: "I'm a Phoenix Wedding Photographer ...etc.. get in touch with me".
- Pay attention to your SEO.
- Your posts have a slightly different background-color then the rest of your website...

I suggest that you think more as your prospects and clients when designing your website. Think about what they want to see and make it very simple (few clicks, big fonts) for them to see it.

Good luck!

Buzzrain - Websites For Photographers That Want More Clients (external link)

dngphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
384 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 15, 2012 22:36 |  #5

Thanks Peter!

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 15, 2012 23:34 |  #6

You may want to strip the javascript code listed below because it's broken. Your header image has a huge gap pushing down the images below on IE8 and the third photo on your home page is shifted to the left. I would use thumbnail in the portfolio with a lightbox script to expand the images. You can pre-load them but please don't make me scroll so far down when there is really no need for it.

http://wordpress.org/e​xtend/plugins/lightbox​-plus/ (external link)
http://wordpress.org …plugins/lightbo​x-gallery/ (external link)

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0)
Timestamp: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 05:20:29 UTC

Line: 205
Char: 37
Code: 0
URI: http://dngphotoandfilm​.com/ (external link)

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://s.gravatar.com …719'></script> (external link);

dngphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
384 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 16, 2012 00:22 |  #7

Yea, I was using the Chunk Theme and it just wasn't jiving with what I wanted to display. I don't like wordpress all that much, but I also dont know HTML, nevertheless, its a start on a work in progress.

I changed the entire look tonight, updated the Header and took out the "handwritten" look of the logo, changed themes to a photo-friendly theme.

I appreciate everyones feedback - keep it coming, I wont get better without knowing what looks good or bad! :)

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 16, 2012 02:55 |  #8

Take out the gray box around the photo rotation script on the main page it just kills the whole theme.

If your going to put a border make it black like the header and square not some awkward shape.

dngphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
384 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 16, 2012 08:53 |  #9

Its prepackaged...i know, I know...i should read on html

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 17, 2012 03:57 |  #10

dngphoto wrote in post #13712601 (external link)
Its prepackaged...i know, I know...i should read on html

Actually no HTML is involved the slideshow is totally CSS driven.

Open the slideshow.css file on the first line you see the class .slideshow-window which creates borders. Strip out #222 anywhere you see it in that first class only and this will basically remove the border BG color.

dngphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
384 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 17, 2012 08:14 |  #11

isoMorphic wrote in post #13718074 (external link)
Actually no HTML is involved the slideshow is totally CSS driven.

Open the slideshow.css file on the first line you see the class .slideshow-window which creates borders. Strip out #222 anywhere you see it in that first class only and this will basically remove the border BG color.

Thanks iso! I'll give it a shot but I am fairly certain that the .com dashboard doesn't allow css editing and I have yet to tackle installing wordpress.org on my pooter. Thusly, I need to read more

sponsored links

1,164 views & 0 likes for this thread
My website, feedback appreciated
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.