Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 13:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

question on indoor photography

khilborn
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 12, 2012 13:41 |  #1

Hi, I was asked by a friend to take pictures at a wedding anniversary party (indoors of course) and I am NOT that confident about indoor photography (I have experience with outdoor/outdoor sports photography ). I have a Canon T1i with a 18-55mm lens... that's it. Part of me just wants to put in on Auto because I'm not confident on indoor shots, but I'm sure I can get better shots if I use the AV or M mode I think. Does anyone have suggestions on what settings I should use. The highest f/stop is 4.0 and I just want to take good pictures for my friend to capture this night.

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 12, 2012 13:55 |  #2

Without buying anything, your best bet will be to drag the shutter. Here is the simplest way to do this for an inexperienced photographer.

AV mode and set exposure compensation to negative one stop. Set the lens wide open and choose an ISO so that f/5.6 gives you 1/20 to 1/30 shutter speeds. Pop up the flash.

The ambient exposure will preserve the background while the flash will pop and freeze the subjects.

A CTO gel taped to the flash would also help if you can get one in time. Set WB to 3500 or so if you do this.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

khilborn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 12, 2012 13:56 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #3

thank you so much!... I will practice what you said in my house for the next couple of days.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 12, 2012 13:58 |  #4

Bounce flash can save you in a situation like this - by bouncing the flash off the ceiling and/or walls, you get photos that are properly exposed without a lot of high-ISO sensor noise or that lousy direct-flash look that the pop-up flash makes.

If you don't have a hotshoe flash, something like this might save the day - it allows you to bounce the pop-up flash off the ceiling or walls:
http://www.amazon.com …ags-on-product/B0017LNHY2 (external link)

If you can't spend any extra, then you might consider using Tv mode and a shutter speed of 1/80-1/160 (depending on your subjects' speed). Av mode will probably let the shutter speed drop so low that moving/dancing people will be smeared with motion blur. hopefully the camera will be able to increase the ISO enough to get a good exposure. You'll have some sensor noise, but noise is better than motion blur.

You can also do a mix of a slow shutter speed (for ambient light) and direct pop-up flash (to light/freeze the subjects) but you'll want to start practicing this technique in advance.
[edit] That's dragging the shutter, as described by JeffreyG.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 12, 2012 13:58 |  #5

Try what jeffrey said, unless the lights are fluorescent then use a light green gel instead. Chances are you cant shoot with that lens in that place without flash. Do you have access to a flash, borrow or rental perhaps? Bouncing a flash makes all the difference in the world for these things.

khilborn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 12, 2012 14:03 |  #6

I only have the camera's pop up flash, but perhaps I'll go out and purchase one I an attach... are you talking about the kind of flash that attaches but can be moved up or down? any suggestions that aren't too expensive ?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 12, 2012 14:09 |  #7

Yes, an external flash. The popup flashes are horrible. The cheapest canon option is the 430exII, the YN company makes one that is around $100 that would be good for you. http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1326398​942&sr=8-2 (external link)

khilborn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 12, 2012 14:10 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #8

thank you that helps

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 12, 2012 14:13 |  #9

If you get it, let us know, there are some easy tips and one DIY toy that can really help.

khilborn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 12, 2012 15:13 |  #10

will do

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 12, 2012 15:14 |  #11

If you buy a flash, you can bounce. The you can decide if you need to drag the shutter or not based on how big the room is. If 1/200 and low ISO (In M mode) result in black backgrounds (because the room is large) the drag the shutter as I suggested to blend in some ambient.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

PhotosGuy
75,852 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 13, 2012 10:15 |  #12

This might help: Tips for Xmas Ball Please

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

khilborn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 13, 2012 14:36 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #13

I've been practicing with the Av mode inside the house with lights on and other indoor situations... I am so used to shooting in Tv mode because of all of the sports I photograph... that it seems when I'm shooting in Av mode, some of the pics are just not as clear as I think they should be, but maybe because I'm used to Tv mode outdoors... would it be possible to shoot inside with the Tv mode?

Plus I was not able to buy an external flash at this time... I borrowed one from a friend and tried it, but it was for her Olympus.. it fit, but I couldn't figure too much out about it except that it took FOREVER to charge up ... so I won't be using it.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 13, 2012 14:38 |  #14

khilborn wrote in post #13699331 (external link)
I've been practicing with the Av mode inside the house with lights on and other indoor situations... I am so used to shooting in Tv mode because of all of the sports I photograph... that it seems when I'm shooting in Av mode, some of the pics are just not as clear as I think they should be, but maybe because I'm used to Tv mode outdoors... would it be possible to shoot inside with the Tv mode?

You are missing the point, Using AV mode you are dropping below safe handheld speeds. If you shifted to TV mode your speed would be okay, but your aperture would be insufficient so you would be underexposed. The problem is not enough light, the mode is almost irrelevant.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 13, 2012 14:47 |  #15

khilborn wrote in post #13699375 (external link)
so in your opinion for my situation, just stay with the Av mode in f/4.0?

No, get a flash.... Rent, buy, beg, borrow, or steal a flash.

sponsored links

2,536 views & 0 likes for this thread
question on indoor photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.