Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 13 Jan 2012 (Friday) 16:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Monochrome Aviation - Post Your Best

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,938 posts
Gallery: 2431 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 12, 2021 21:40 |  #2191

Flying over at 35K.

P.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Finally got it right I think - Nikon D7500, Nikon 300 F4 PF, Nikon 1.4 X mk3 TC

bergmen
105 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Jul 2018

Jan 13, 2021 15:34 |  #2192

Jonzjob wrote in post #19074611 (external link)
Anyone who decides to leave an aircraft before it is safely on the groung has got to have something amiss from the neck up IMHO -?

I agree about nice photos though.

Well, I will flatly disagree with this after several decades in the sport and over 800 parachute jumps.

Flying under a wing like the one shown is pure bliss and if you have not tried it, you would not understand.

Dan

Canon 80D Body | EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM

Phoenixuk
Goldmember
1,221 posts
Gallery: 700 photos
Joined Jul 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by Phoenixuk.

Jan 13, 2021 16:02 |  #2193

bergmen wrote in post #19180929 (external link)
Well, I will flatly disagree with this after several decades in the sport and over 800 parachute jumps.

Flying under a wing like the one shown is pure bliss and if you have not tried it, you would not understand.

Dan

Hi Dan! It’s interesting! When I was younger I always wanted to make a parachute jump but since I have learnt to fly I’ve completely lost the desire to do so! I have to wear a parachute in several aeroplanes that I fly and I know the theory but I sincerely hope that I never have to use it! Maybe I’m just getting old! :-P

Nothing against parachutists... but I’ll fly... and stay with the jump ship! :lol::lol:

Mark

bergmen
105 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Jul 2018

Jan 13, 2021 16:13 |  #2194

Phoenixuk wrote in post #19180938 (external link)
Hi Dan! It’s interesting! When I was younger I always wanted to make a parachute jump but since I have learnt to fly I’ve completely lost the desire to do so! I have to wear a parachute in several aeroplanes that I fly and I know the theory but I sincerely hope that I never have to use it! Maybe I’m just getting old! :-P

Nothing against parachutists... but I’ll fly... and stay with the jump ship! :lol::lol:

Well, as an expert parachutist (and neophyte pilot) I would highly recommend at least doing a tandem jump to be familiar with the sensation you experience while leaving the aircraft and deploying a parachute. The sudden weightlessness can be startling if you are experiencing it for the first time.

Also, understand what you are going to experience under canopy, parachute steerability, rate of decent, being able to determine which way the wind is blowing, always landing facing the wind, proper parachute landing fall techniques, etc.

There is way more to this but this is a sample...

I don't want to hijack this wonderful thread but I just felt the need to speak up...

Dan

Canon 80D Body | EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM

Jonzjob
in the land of Donald Duck
1,917 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Joined Apr 2012
Location: Ex Nr Carcassonne S France. Now NW Wiltshire, Blighty
Post edited 3 months ago by Jonzjob.

Jan 14, 2021 05:44 |  #2195

I'm not trying to knock you at all Dan and it's good that you get so much pleasure from it, but it isn't for me mate ;-)a

One of the sites that my club and I fly our RC model gliders is also a popular site for paraglider people. We have an unwritten safety rule that they stick to the right of a stone marker and us to the left. Quite often they see us getting a boomer thermal and come over to get in it. When we suggest that they stick to the rule it has, at times, resulted in a lot of abuse. They don't seem to realise that if we don't notice them and fly into them or their chutes the result for us is probably a damaged model, but for them it may well be yet another ambulance having to drive across 1/2 mile of the common land to pick up their pieces again. We have never been involved in an accident with them, but there have been several times when an ambulance has had to cross to get them. Some of our models weigh in at 10 lbs or more and can get to speeds in excess of 100mph.

"Safe flying is no accident" is one of my mantras. Sorry, rant over :-)

Just as a matter of interest. A good while back I realised why, in a single engined aircraft, they have that fan at the front.

It's to keep the driver cool, because if it stops he , or she, don't arf break in to a sweat :rolleyes:

My ambition for a good while is to grow old disgracefully. So far my wife tells me that I am doing really well!
https://johnamandiers.​wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1 (external link)
John.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

560,331 views & 1,429 likes for this thread
Monochrome Aviation - Post Your Best
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.