Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 15:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sekonic L-758DR and Yongnuo triggers

CSMFoto
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 18, 2012 15:02 |  #1

First off, here is a list of the equipment I have at the moment.
Sekonic L-758dr
Yongnuo RF-602(receivers and transmitter)

How can I get these to work together wirelessly? I was reading this specific meter can show the flash exposure as well as the ambient exposure for you which is wonderful for location shooting(my favorite). Do I need to wire the transmitter / to the sekonic through the pc-sync cord or is there a way to use it wirelessly?

I know for a fact the Sekonic's work in coordination wirelessly with the PWS, but I have not seen much luck with the cheapy Yongnuos.

Thanks in advance!

Facebook (external link) | CSM Photography (external link) | Gear
I got some camera's & lens'.

sponsored links
PLLphotography
with the TF
5,215 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 18, 2012 15:04 |  #2

don't think you'll find a wireless unit to work with the yongnuo's.

you can try a PC sync cord....or just get an extra set of yongnuo's and use them as a wireless shutter release.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

CSMFoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 18, 2012 15:06 |  #3

PWard wrote in post #13727024 (external link)
don't think you'll find a wireless unit to work with the yongnuo's.

you can try a PC sync cord....or just get an extra set of yongnuo's and use them as a wireless shutter release.

How do I do a wireless shutter release with them? would be amazing if I could do that with what I have atm. I have 2 transmitters, and I think 6 receivers atm.

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,215 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 18, 2012 15:09 |  #4

you may need to buy a shutter cord.

I don't have experience with yongnuo anymore, but with the cactus V5s, they sold a cable you connected to a v5 unit, and it plugged into the wired shutter port of the camera. you would then use another unit to remotely trigger the shutter (on a different channel than your wireless flash setup of course).

here it is:

http://www.prophotogra​phygear.com …-5d-50d-40d-30d-p-95.html (external link)

so, let's say you have your unit on your hot shoe and units connected to your flashes/strobes set to channel 1.

you would take this cable, connect it to a unit and your camera, and then have another unit in your hand to trigger it, and have them set to channel 2, etc.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

CSMFoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 18, 2012 15:18 |  #5

Just bought one :-)

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,215 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 18, 2012 15:20 |  #6

not as glamorous as just hand-holding the light meter, pressing the button and getting a reading from the flashes since you'll have to dual-wield the light meter and a yongnuo unit, but still beats either setting a timer, or getting someone to hold the meter and running back to press the shutter button or button on the yongnuo unit on your hot shoe.

OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 18, 2012 15:35 |  #7

I do this with a L-358 and the Yongnuo 602. I use a second 602Tx and connect it to the light meter with a PC to PC cord. In Fc mode a press of the light meter fires the strobes.

Two possible issues: The transmitter ends up hanging from the meter. I got tired of it banging around and velcroed it to the meter's strap. Not great but good enough. Secondly, only the older 602TX had the PC port.If you have a later version it won't have it but you could use a hot shoe.

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

glim
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 01, 2012 02:59 as a reply to  @ OneyedJack's post |  #8

I used a Yongnuo transmitter (red circuit board) and soldered it to a selfmade transmitter module (green board). You can even select the channels with the sekonic. The transmitter board controls the Yongnuo DIP switches.

Another advantage is, that the lid can be closed completely and nothing is hanging around.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Trailboy
540 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 01, 2012 03:22 |  #9

Mr Glim, that is very clever. I just velcro'd mine to the side of the meter.

Did you do make a user guide to this mod?

glim
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 01, 2012 04:03 as a reply to  @ Trailboy's post |  #10

Hi Trailboy,
major issue is, that the selfmade module beneath the yongnuo board consist of a microcontroller, that pretends to be a genuine RT32 transmitter module inserted.

Without the software on the microcontroller, the module will not be recognized. If you think this is not to complicated, I'll try to write a mod guide.

BTW: My recent project is a module for triggering Elinchrom Skyports.

Trailboy
540 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 01, 2012 05:52 |  #11

%-(

tjongkristian
166 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 01, 2012 06:19 |  #12

glim, that is sick man. Wow.

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,215 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 01, 2012 06:52 |  #13

very nice. a diy tutorial would be awesome to post here. nice job Glim.

glim
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 25, 2012 04:30 as a reply to  @ PLLphotography's post |  #14

Ok, it took me a while. Here is a short PDF building a transmitter module for Sekonic / Yongnuo RF602.

I think it is an overkill to describe how to build the green circuit board. Usually you won't make it yourself. I ordered a few pieces by an professional pcb service and assembled it myself.

Trailboy
540 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 26, 2012 14:17 |  #15

Thanks very much.

You know you really should consider manufacturing and selling these.

sponsored links

18,961 views & 1 like for this thread
Sekonic L-758DR and Yongnuo triggers
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.