Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 18 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 17:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Firewire output with nowhere to put it (help!)

TeenPhotog
344 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 18, 2012 17:38 |  #1

I am working with a Canon GL2 which records on minidv tapes and get into a computer with a firewire out. Unfortunately I do not have a firewire port on my computer.

Is there anyway to get the recordings onto a computer that doesn't have a firewire port?

Canon 450D | 50 1.8 | 18-55 | 55-250 | 430ex ii | http://abramowitzimage​s.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 19, 2012 05:45 |  #2

Some people use the Firestore recorders that record the video to a CF card, here's their website: http://www.focusinfo.c​om …ions/video_prod​uction.asp (external link)
As for the possibility of a dongle or converter that can get the signal directly to the computer... that i don't know.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Pepster
105 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 20, 2012 18:12 as a reply to  @ Kolor-Pikker's post |  #3

Most better laptops have firewire input

borrow a laptop.

drbutchermd
63 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 20, 2012 21:18 as a reply to  @ Pepster's post |  #4

i wouldn't be surprised if there were some cheap adapter dongles on Amazon that you could purchase.

Canon 600D gripped, Canon 10D - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 mk1

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,761 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 22, 2012 09:43 |  #5

TeenPhotog wrote in post #13728004 (external link)
Is there anyway to get the recordings onto a computer that doesn't have a firewire port?

If you have a spare PCI slot you can add Firewire to your machine.

http://www.compusa.com …p?EdpNo=5265866​&CatId=510 (external link)

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6, never again.

TeenPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
344 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 22, 2012 12:04 as a reply to  @ Channel One's post |  #6

Thanks guys. Dongle acquired.

Canon 450D | 50 1.8 | 18-55 | 55-250 | 430ex ii | http://abramowitzimage​s.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

TeenPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
344 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 22, 2012 13:05 as a reply to  @ TeenPhotog's post |  #7

^^ Scratch that.

I'm trying to go from a 4 pin firewire out on the Canon GL2 to a firewire 800 input on a macbook.

I bought the wrong dongle last time, thinking I understood the 6 pin/4pin/9pin, 400 v. 800 stuff. I don't. Can someone send me a link to a cable that would do the above?

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 22, 2012 13:26 |  #8

An adapter like this: LINK (external link)

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links

1,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
Firewire output with nowhere to put it (help!)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.