Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Jan 2012 (Friday) 05:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Light/Flash Meters

tripl3distill3d
26 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 20, 2012 05:59 |  #1

Does anyone still use a flash meter? The last time I used one I was still in college and was shooting with a Mamiya 645. I'm now shooting with a 5D MkII and almost feel like there isn't a need for it...
I'm starting to shoot portraits and was wondering how everyone else handles their metering situations. I suppose I could just use my wits to make an assessment but I don't feel like compromising quality over a few bucks.

sponsored links
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 20, 2012 06:24 |  #2

I use a meter, and using one still makes sense for a number of purposes.

People will often say that you can just see what the image is like on the LCD, but it doesn't often tell the whole story the more lights you use. Once you get up to using as much as 4 lights, a light meter really starts to help unless you already have "all the numbers" in your head, but by then you probably won't need photography advice from anyone.

It can also be useful for HDR and landscape photography because a flash meter with ambient light measurement can show you the exact dynamic range of a scene. Also, light meters are accurate up to 1/10th of a stop and have a narrower spot meter than the one in cameras.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,813 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 20, 2012 06:27 |  #3

Yes, almost exclusively when shooting flash and a lot when shooting ambient.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,538 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 20, 2012 08:23 |  #4

Yes I use mine when shooting flash on manual.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

PhotosGuy
75,811 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 20, 2012 08:34 |  #5

and almost feel like there isn't a need for it...

One guy here asked in a thread if a meter would make him look more professhionl? Yes, he misspelled it. :D

I have both types of meter & they're just gathering dust. Once I learned how to use the histogram + RAW I didn't feel the need to carry them anymore. My thoughts on the subject: Can someone give me the low down on light meters?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 20, 2012 12:57 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #6

I still use both a flash meter and on for ambient lighting. There is not much value if you are using a single 580 but I use my flash meter when I set up my strobes. It very easy to ensure that you are getting the kind of light on the right spots in a scene or pose. I still enjoy shooting my medium format gear and it gets lots of use there. Cn you get by without one? Sure but I think you have more control with one.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 20, 2012 13:06 |  #7

tripl3distill3d wrote in post #13736602 (external link)
Does anyone still use a flash meter? The last time I used one I was still in college and was shooting with a Mamiya 645. I'm now shooting with a 5D MkII and almost feel like there isn't a need for it...
I'm starting to shoot portraits and was wondering how everyone else handles their metering situations. I suppose I could just use my wits to make an assessment but I don't feel like compromising quality over a few bucks.

I've never used a hand-held meter, and have never felt the need to. I do use the in-camera meter, and then with flash photography I do quick adjustments of the flash power when getting started.

I'd suggest that you get experienced and comfortable with both approaches. If you still have an handheld meter, use it, sure, but I'd think it would be useful, in fact, very important, also to learn to work effectively without it. Otherwise, when you are out with just your camera without a meter, well, how can you function confidently? If you think that you will be "sacrificing quality" at such times, well, hmm...to me that's not a good mindset!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

JAE ­ Photography
108 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 20, 2012 13:21 |  #8

I use one with the Pocket Wizard module. Makes setting up strobes super quick.

For natural light I just use the one in the camera.

http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1926140 (external link)
http://www.jae-photography.net/ (external link) (nsfw)

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 20, 2012 14:29 as a reply to  @ JAE Photography's post |  #9

I too am in the histogram has mostly made my lightmeter a dust collector. Occassionally I use it, probably more because I have it and my connection to the film day's.

Best, Bruce

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,032 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jan 20, 2012 14:54 as a reply to  @ Gizmo1137's post |  #10

I have 2 old Minolta IV flash meters. Use them all the time. Theres not a better way of getting lighting ratios right before you start shooting than using a flash meter.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,530 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 20, 2012 16:38 |  #11

If you have the luxury of time to trial and error hone in on 'correct exposure' with studio flash, you do not need a meter when you can simply chimp and look at a histogram. But if you have paying clients who are too busy or in a hurry for you to set up and eat up their time during your trial and error methods, flash meters nail the exposure in the absolutely most expeditious manner.

Flash meters are absolutely useless with ETTL flash units...the preflash causes them to read the preflash, not the main flash.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 20, 2012 17:04 |  #12

For studio work or outdoors mixing ambient with manual flash, I can't imagine doing it without a meter.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 20, 2012 17:19 |  #13

For strobes I always pull out the meter, I pull it out for ambient measurements as well. Sometimes I like incident better than reflective readings.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,538 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 20, 2012 17:20 |  #14

http://www.youtube.com …ISm7C6fiY&featu​re=related (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 20, 2012 21:34 |  #15

Yes with flash especially if I am trying to achieve a certain light ratio.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

sponsored links

1,457 views & 0 likes for this thread
Light/Flash Meters
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.