Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 20 Jan 2012 (Friday) 07:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting other people's kids at HS Sports

mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 20, 2012 13:30 as a reply to  @ post 13738565 |  #16

Have you factored in all of your backend business costs?
Insurance, licenses, property taxes etc?

sponsored links
AB8ND
745 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 20, 2012 15:42 |  #17

I was answering your question of getting "One of those sweet shots", they don't normally come from the spectator areas. If you are talking outdoor sports, you would need some expensive long lenses to shot from anything but on field. These "sweet shots" usually come from being close to the action, schools and officials must limit access from insurance and just plain getting in the way stand point.

Jack

boufa wrote in post #13737067 (external link)
The question was is it appropriate for a random photog to go and shoot, without a contract, without an interest in sales, and without having any of their own kids in the activity. I am in no way asking about access other than spectator access. I also would not shoot indoors, I don't have the equipment to waste my time with it.

on an aside... does anyone donate their photos to the schools in exchange for access. I am hoping (as a tax payer) that my district is not spending money on a pro-photog for anything other than team photos.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 20, 2012 17:15 |  #18

boufa wrote in post #13737067 (external link)
The question was is it appropriate for a random photog to go and shoot, without a contract, without an interest in sales, and without having any of their own kids in the activity. I am in no way asking about access other than spectator access. I also would not shoot indoors, I don't have the equipment to waste my time with it.

I'd guess you might run into issues, but I've never done it.

I got into shooting HS sports because my neighbor's daughter was Varsity volleyball, he knew I was a hobbiest and he basically gathered the parents together and they took a risk and offered me the job of shooting the team. I did pretty well, and then my phone keep ringing as girls who play volleyball also tend to play basketball, lacrosse, soccer etc....

So now I keep shooting, mostly because I enjoy it. I charge enough to make it worth my while ($60-$80 and hour all told) but also to give us a reasonable business arrangement. At the games, everyone knows I'm the team's photographer.

There is another guy around here who shoots entirely on spec. His kids used to be in the HS and I'm sure he got started shooting their teams. He still shows up and shoots on occasion on spec, and I'm sure it's mostly because he enjoys doing it. From what I see, spec shooting doesn't earn enough to really make sense, so I think it is kind of a 'cover' for him to keep doing what he enjoys. No harm in that.

on an aside... does anyone donate their photos to the schools in exchange for access. I am hoping (as a tax payer) that my district is not spending money on a pro-photog for anything other than team photos.

Around here at least, the parents hire me. The coach usually becomes my main contact, but it is the parents who control the purse. How they get their money is very convoluted.

For example, the money they take at the door for admission goes to the general athletic fund. But since the school is obligated to provide a staff person to collect admission, if the parents provide a volunteer to do the job the school pays the booster group.

Totally strange, IMO.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

C_Heath31
409 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 20, 2012 21:53 |  #19

Glad I saw this thread. I shoot for the county, I shoot for the local newspaper when the real reporter cant make it and I shoot the kids. I give them to the yearbook staff and I get in all sports free. I have been granted access to strobe the gym. I don't charge unless the parent requests a package from me. I have a website that they can right click and save and it's also free. I have a day job. It's more than satisfying for me when they say thank you sooooo much, those are awesome . That's my pay. Sorry if it hurts the guy trying to make a bucks feelings.

Canon 7D, 1DmkIII, canon 1.8 prime, 70-200 2.8L

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 20, 2012 22:10 |  #20

If you just want to get shots and help people out, volunteer to shoot for Special Olympics locally. After you pass a background check, you'll be allowed to help. Pass out prints, by the way.

In our district, and the surrounding districts, getting on a field to shoot is no longer automatic.

And everyone is hyper-vigilant about their kids. So, if they find out you're unofficial and just pointing your camera around, well, expect opposition in public.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 22, 2012 21:20 as a reply to  @ S.Horton's post |  #21

So I guess my story might not be the right way to go, but my wife teaches at an inner-city high school here in Rhode Island, and I've shot a lot of events for them since last September, and I put them on my Flickr site for the students. They do have a company that shows up to a few of the games, but they are only there for yearbook stuff, not for anything the students can have access to outside the yearbook.

I love photography, I love shooting sports, and I do it for the kids. And it is kinda nice when you see the players at a game and they say "Hey, you better be going to my game on Friday...". I don't charge anything , but I did try to turn off the downloading of the original size photo on Flickr, but not sure what that will really do. If someone asks me about big prints and stuff, then I will research pricing and such. But for now, I do it for the kids, and I also do it for the practice, being that there's no pressure. And the AD gives me all the access I need, as long as I don't interfere with the play.

But I don't do any other "free work" for anyone else. I do work part-time for 2 companies that shoot running races like 5k's, marathons, etc.

It's funny too, the company that takes the yearbook shots wants me to see about working for them, so maybe I can get something out of it.

Gear List
My Flickr Page (external link)

mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 22, 2012 21:50 as a reply to  @ kenjancef's post |  #22

Interesting concept having parents shoot yearbook pics.
Our schools use the yearbook staff and photography club to shoot
the photos for the yearbook. It allows the kids to get some real world experience
and get some pride in their final product.

stillen
50 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 23, 2012 18:40 as a reply to  @ post 13738565 |  #23

Check the student handbook and or ticket stub......usually there is verbage that says something along the lines of "if you enter this public gym or area you may be photographed"...

Mike...
7d- 18-135 / 70-200L IS II / 580EX

sponsored links

3,331 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting other people's kids at HS Sports
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.