Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
Thread started 17 Nov 2005 (Thursday) 23:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

An old tree: macro and 3D

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 17, 2005 23:23 |  #1

Pro1 in SuperMacro mode whit a 50mm f 1.4 Canon lens reversed in front of the Zoom. The reverse adapter was made at home from the description and pictures posted by kallousa (Ahmad Kallousa)

This is an experiment testing the capabilities of extreme close-up and extreme 3D effect together.

Do you think it works?

Picture of the trunk of an old tree.

IMAGE: http://sites.google.com/site/rpolitsr/rpolitsr/varios/onthenet/3d/3D_tronco2_4923-24.jpg

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
60,813 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 18, 2005 00:05 |  #2

Works for me rpolitsr, -certainly gives an idea of the topography (is that the right word?) of the bark. Any idea what magnification you were shooting at?
Brian V.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/ (external link)
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 18, 2005 00:37 |  #3

LordV wrote:
Works for me rpolitsr, -certainly gives an idea of the topography (is that the right word?) of the bark. Any idea what magnification you were shooting at?
Brian V.

The magnified bark resembles a picture from a ridge to my imagination. I guess that topography describes it well.

No idea about the actual magnification yet, and I do not know how to calculate it, but I saw the ruler in your thread Exciting pics of a ruler ! and I will shot some pics to find the correlation between millimeters and pixels.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.

cmM
Goldmember
5,705 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 18, 2005 00:51 |  #4

very cool shot.
I still can't quite see the effect of stereo photography (not on your image alone, one any image) but it's a great macro nonetheless.

DigitalMDX
819 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 18, 2005 00:53 as a reply to  @ cmM's post |  #5

Wow, the depth to that is insane! I love it...
Thanks for sharing!

Washington State - Canon Rebel XT

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 18, 2005 10:58 |  #6

Thank you cmM
I spent many many hours before the first stereo pair became a 3D image to me.
I can not really cross my eyes, but using the method I described in this post of other thread, it is now easy for me to see the effect. Hope it works for you too.

DigitalMDX
Thanks for your kind words. I like to share some things I am interested in. Macro is my new toy!

LordV wrote:
Any idea what magnification you were shooting at?

Hi LordV.

This is my ruler. At left, the resized image, at right the full size crop of one millimeter:

[

IMAGE: http://sites.google.com/site/rpolitsr/rpolitsr/varios/onthenet/macro/ruler_combo.jpg

And below it is some data, measured with the Measure Tool in PhotoShop.

[FONT=courier new]
Pixels in 5mm | img. Size | pixels/mm | object size for full screen |

Pro1 Max Zoom + 50mm lens reversed
5mm=1360 pixels | size L | 272 pixels/mm | 12 x 9 mm for full screen |

Pro1 Max Zomm in SuperMacro mode + 50mm lens reversed
5mm=347 pixels | size M1 | 69 pixels/mm | 32 x 24 mm for full screen |

Pro1 Min Zoom in SuperMacro mode + 50mm lens reversed
5mm=194 pixels | size M1 | 39 pixels/mm | 58 x 43 mm for full screen |
[/FONT]

From the data above, the round hole in the bark measures 1.5mm in diameter.

rafael

LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
60,813 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 18, 2005 11:08 |  #7

rpolitsr,
Not quite sure what you up to with the data, but the magnification factor is just measured by
sensor width in mm/ mm shown on the ruler in the pic.
For example my own camera has a sensor width of about 22mm If I take a photo with just my macro lens of the ruler I can see 22mm of rulerscale in the picture so mag factor=22/22=1 which is correct for a 1:1 macro lens.
If I put all my extension tubes on then I only get 11mm of ruler scale across the width of the picture so the magnification factor= 22/11= 2 (or 2:1)
Btw width refers to the longest side in landscape mode.
Hope that makes sense.
Brian V.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/ (external link)
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 18, 2005 12:47 |  #8

Thank you LordV.
Now I understand the concept.
The relevant data yields the following results:

mm shown on the ruler in the pic:

12mm - Pro1 Max Zoom + 50mm lens reversed (photo in my previous post)
32mm - Pro1 Max Zomm in SuperMacro mode + 50mm lens reversed (not shown)
58mm - Pro1 Min Zoom in SuperMacro mode + 50mm lens reversed (not shown)

According to the Pro1 specs, the sensor size is 2/3 of an inch diagonal (13.1mm wide).

There is some discussion about the effective size of the sensor though, but a reasonable conclusion may be that the biggest magnification achieved with my 50mm f 1.4 Canon lens mounted in front of the Zoom with my home made tube is aprox. 1:1

rafael

kallousa
Goldmember
1,956 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 19, 2005 18:00 |  #9

Great shots, Mr. Polit
It works perfectly in 3D , but I was wondering about the white dots in the right picture , they make a little confusion to the final image.

Thanx for the Demo on the macro capabilities of our toy
Regards

Ahmad Kallousa
---------------
Canon Pro1, 5D MK II, 24-105 F4.0 L, M-PE 65, 430 EX
My Flickr (external link)

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 20, 2005 11:00 |  #10

kallousa wrote:
…I was wondering about the white dots in the right picture, they make a little confusion to the final image.

I may guess that it is some kind of interaction between dust in the lens and the angle of light. The dots appear in the first of the two photos, and the only thing that changed for the second was the angle of the camera. I saw the dots later, on the computer screen.

kallousa wrote:
Thanx for the Demo on the macro capabilities of our toy

As already said, your description of the adapter and the picture of it as well as your sample photos encouraged me to build my own adapter. Thank you.

rafael

sponsored links

1,458 views & 0 likes for this thread
An old tree: macro and 3D
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.