Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

POTN forums are closing 31.12.2023. Please see https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1530921 and other posts in that thread for details.
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 21 Jan 2012 (Saturday) 21:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Light walkround kit.

jbrand
182 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 21, 2012 21:17 |  #1

Having recently upgraded my main body, my intention is to de-grip my 450d, and add zoom to it for a light vacation camera rig. I'm not a big zoom guy - mostly primes. I have the Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5 - which came with the camera when I bought it (used). Seems a nice enough lens - I scarcely use it though, as I am quite attached to fast lenses for available light. I've heard good things about the 55-250 - certainly more reach (one of my concerns), but not sure it is wide enough.

Any personal favorites I should look at? I'm probably not talking l-class glass here for a knockabout lens.

Jim

---------------
"If you can't do something smart, do something right"
Gripped 7D, Gripped 450D, Rokinon 8mm 3.5, Sigma 20mm 1.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Canon 40mm 2.8, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 200mm f2.8L, Canon 70-200mm f2.8L, Canon 300 f4L, Kenko 1.4 TC and tubes, S95, AT-1, and a bunch of other stuff.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,395 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 21, 2012 21:51 |  #2

jbrand wrote in post #13745667 (external link)
Having recently upgraded my main body, my intention is to de-grip my 450d, and add zoom to it for a light vacation camera rig. I'm not a big zoom guy - mostly primes. I have the Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5 - which came with the camera when I bought it (used). Seems a nice enough lens - I scarcely use it though, as I am quite attached to fast lenses for available light. I've heard good things about the 55-250 - certainly more reach (one of my concerns), but not sure it is wide enough.

Any personal favorites I should look at? I'm probably not talking l-class glass here for a knockabout lens.

Jim

don't let that stop you. there's no rectilinear lens you own that's "wide enough" imo :D.

for the rebel body i'd the tamron 17-50. small. f2.8. stabilized.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4 x2, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, 14L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 28 f1.4 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

tempest68
980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 22, 2012 00:03 |  #3

Do you want more telephoto? Or wide to telephoto? If you prefer the telephoto end, the 55-250 would be good. If you want to cover wide, maybe look at the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 OS HSM. At least it is f/2.8 at the wide end and f/4 on the long end makes it a better choice than the Canon 15-85 or 17-85 which are f/5.6 on the long end.

Or consider a two prime "kit": I've considered picking up the Canon 28mm f/1.8 to compliment the Canon 85mm f/1.8. The lenses are small enough that you wouldn't feel like you're toting a ton of gear and you have faster lenses than carrying a single zoom. The downside is needing to switch lenses or needing to crop an image shot with the 28mm if it's too short and the 85mm is too long.

If you want as physically small as possible and don't mind a manual focus lens, look into the Voigtlander 40mm f/2. I've been having fun with mine on my 50D. They also have a 20mm f/3.5 lens that's just as small (both are "pancake" lenses).

Jim
Canon: EOS 3, 40mm f2.8 STM, 85mm f1.8 USM. Voigtlander: R3A, 28mm F2.8 SL II, Nokton 40mm f1.4, 50mm f2 Heliar.
Nikon: SB-25. Yongnuo: YN565EX, YN-622C transceiver (x2)
Sony: A7S, a6000, 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 G, Nissin i40.

StructuredAmazing
603 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 22, 2012 02:31 |  #4

jbrand wrote in post #13745667 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Jim

I agree with the post above about the tamron 17-50mm.
Good lens, unless u wanna shell out a few more for a 17-55mm canon

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil"
StructuredAmazing forever.
My website: Pending...

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

832 views & 0 likes for this thread, 4 members have posted to it.
Light walkround kit.
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.