Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 22 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 00:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thursday night Girls HS Basketball

mrwilt
474 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 22, 2012 00:37 |  #1

Here's some pics from Thursday night's girls basketball game. Settings - Sigma 70-200 2.8, 1/640, ISO 3200. The first few pics are from the JV game with pic #3 being the game winning layup. Pretty happy with the results.

IMAGE: http://drewwiltphotography.smugmug.com/WashingtonGirlsBasketball/Hedgesville/JV/i-W8N8sKM/1/L/IMG2459-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://drewwiltphotography.smugmug.com/WashingtonGirlsBasketball/Hedgesville/JV/i-xpNC2Zq/1/L/IMG2490-L.jpg
IMAGE: http://drewwiltphotography.smugmug.com/WashingtonGirlsBasketball/Hedgesville/JV/i-WJxWBcp/1/L/IMG2559-L.jpg
IMAGE: http://drewwiltphotography.smugmug.com/WashingtonGirlsBasketball/Hedgesville/Varsity/i-zq3nQ7t/1/L/IMG2569-L.jpg
IMAGE: http://drewwiltphotography.smugmug.com/WashingtonGirlsBasketball/Hedgesville/Varsity/i-xpz8N43/1/L/IMG2653-L.jpg
IMAGE: http://drewwiltphotography.smugmug.com/WashingtonGirlsBasketball/Hedgesville/Varsity/i-59DgjNM/1/L/IMG2614-L.jpg
IMAGE: http://drewwiltphotography.smugmug.com/WashingtonGirlsBasketball/Hedgesville/Varsity/i-DgFfLW8/1/L/IMG2683-L.jpg
IMAGE: http://drewwiltphotography.smugmug.com/WashingtonGirlsBasketball/Hedgesville/Varsity/i-MfF4NK5/1/L/IMG2685-L.jpg

Canon EOS 1D MKIII | Canon EOS Rebel T1i Gripped | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Ʃ 70-200mm f/2.8 II APO EX DG Macro
smugmug (external link)
facebook (external link)

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 22, 2012 11:35 |  #2

very good, they're intense

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 22, 2012 11:59 |  #3

Nice job. Color is fantastic. One thing I can offer: Being right behind the basket gives too much of a straight on angle to the shots. Setting up about 10' in from either sideline and 5' behind the baseline is a spot that gives good angles AND stands full of fans as a backdrop more interesting than the back wall of the gym.

Example:

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5138/5462017650_02f8c24b62_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …erphotography/5​462017650/  (external link)
IMG_4129 (external link) by snyderman3 (external link), on Flickr

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

C_Heath31
409 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 22, 2012 12:18 |  #4

Dang that's an intense shot!

Canon 7D, 1DmkIII, canon 1.8 prime, 70-200 2.8L

mrwilt
THREAD ­ STARTER
474 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 22, 2012 16:09 as a reply to  @ C_Heath31's post |  #5

rick_reno wrote in post #13748102 (external link)
very good, they're intense

Thanks rick_reno! Sometimes the girl games get more intense than the boy games. The JV game had two girls that really didn't like each other too much - a lot of jawing going back and forth.

snyderman wrote in post #13748217 (external link)
Nice job. Color is fantastic. One thing I can offer: Being right behind the basket gives too much of a straight on angle to the shots. Setting up about 10' in from either sideline and 5' behind the baseline is a spot that gives good angles AND stands full of fans as a backdrop more interesting than the back wall of the gym.

dave

Dave, thanks so much for the feedback. I agree the shots would probably look better with more of an angle. For the JV games I could probably do what you suggest, but the Varsity games would be a different story. The cheerleaders set up on either side of the basket, so I pretty much have to sit in the middle. Otherwise I would have to sit in the first row of the bleachers and I think that cuts the angle off too much. I've tried it and didn't like the results too much. Plus, the student body doesn't really support the basketball teams for some reason. The stands are always empty - not like when I went to high school. The gym was always packed when there was a basketball game. It really is a pity. Seeing empty bleachers instead of just the blue wall would be a nice change, though. The next game is this Tuesday so I'll try your suggestions. Thanks.

Canon EOS 1D MKIII | Canon EOS Rebel T1i Gripped | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Ʃ 70-200mm f/2.8 II APO EX DG Macro
smugmug (external link)
facebook (external link)

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 22, 2012 17:39 |  #6

mrwilt wrote in post #13749345 (external link)
Dave, thanks so much for the feedback. I agree the shots would probably look better with more of an angle. For the JV games I could probably do what you suggest, but the Varsity games would be a different story. The cheerleaders set up on either side of the basket, so I pretty much have to sit in the middle. Otherwise I would have to sit in the first row of the bleachers and I think that cuts the angle off too much. I've tried it and didn't like the results too much. Plus, the student body doesn't really support the basketball teams for some reason. The stands are always empty - not like when I went to high school. The gym was always packed when there was a basketball game. It really is a pity. Seeing empty bleachers instead of just the blue wall would be a nice change, though. The next game is this Tuesday so I'll try your suggestions. Thanks.

Boy, that is sad. Our local HS is a Div 1 (largest school population) and the games are well attended. Plus, there always seemed to be a home and visitor end of the gym leaving on side open. HDCP seating, or wheelchair parking was always opposite the cheerleaders, so feeling 'squeezed' for shooting space is a reality in a HS gym.

Don't feel bad about 'butting right in' to stake your 2 feet by 2 feet spot on the floor! Nobody is the wiser and will always figure you're supposed to be there!

Good luck and keep up the good work!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Czbrat271
611 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 22, 2012 17:57 as a reply to  @ snyderman's post |  #7

Nice job with the basketball pics. I so struggle with my 7D at ISO's higher than 1600. I tried using 3200 to 4000 the other night, at a gymnastics meet after seeing some images on this site. I shoot everything in Camera RAW, and the images are not nearly as clean as yours. Are you using any noise software other than what's available in Light Room or Photo Shop. I do all of the processing in Photo Shop.

mrwilt
THREAD ­ STARTER
474 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 22, 2012 18:54 |  #8

snyderman wrote in post #13749784 (external link)
Boy, that is sad. Our local HS is a Div 1 (largest school population) and the games are well attended. Plus, there always seemed to be a home and visitor end of the gym leaving on side open. HDCP seating, or wheelchair parking was always opposite the cheerleaders, so feeling 'squeezed' for shooting space is a reality in a HS gym.

Don't feel bad about 'butting right in' to stake your 2 feet by 2 feet spot on the floor! Nobody is the wiser and will always figure you're supposed to be there!

Good luck and keep up the good work!

dave

Thanks, Dave. You've been a wealth of information. I really appreciate it. The pic you posted above is fantastic!

Czbrat271 wrote in post #13749854 (external link)
Nice job with the basketball pics. I so struggle with my 7D at ISO's higher than 1600. I tried using 3200 to 4000 the other night, at a gymnastics meet after seeing some images on this site. I shoot everything in Camera RAW, and the images are not nearly as clean as yours. Are you using any noise software other than what's available in Light Room or Photo Shop. I do all of the processing in Photo Shop.

Hey Czbrat271. I'm just using what's available in LightRoom. I think the most important thing is to try and get proper exposure or as close as possible when taking the picture because having to increase the exposure in LR or Photoshop introduces more noise. I haven't tried the noise reduction in Photoshop, so not sure if it's the same as in LightRoom. It's a bit concerning to hear you're having trouble with ISO 3200 with the 7D. I was hoping to upgrade to that camera soon. Thanks.

smugmug (external link)
facebook (external link)

dakana
48 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 22, 2012 21:06 |  #9

snyderman wrote in post #13748217 (external link)

Example:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …erphotography/5​462017650/  (external link)
IMG_4129 (external link) by snyderman3 (external link), on Flickr

dave

I'd try working with your WB here. It's a bit yellow-green to me.

sponsored links

1,444 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thursday night Girls HS Basketball
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.