Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 24 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for tools to help with species identification

Dustin ­ Mustangs
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 24, 2012 12:09 |  #1

I'm not really finding much with a google search, but it seems like there should be an interactive website around to help with species identification. I am currently dealing with a hawk, but would like something to help with this in general. Animals, insects, plants, ect... Extra points if it is something I can download and make use of when wifi is nowhere around.

Any ideas? SIAP, I did search first...

:cool:

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 24, 2012 12:34 |  #2

Do you own a smartphone? There are several iPhone apps.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Dustin ­ Mustangs
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 24, 2012 14:10 |  #3

Crap, I don't.

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

sweetlu60
151 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 24, 2012 22:05 |  #4

Look at the green mountain digital website they publish the Audubon series and you can access them for free on a normal web browser.

Steven Lewis
Western Skies Photography (external link)

Dustin ­ Mustangs
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 25, 2012 08:46 |  #5

Great suggestion!

http://www.audubonguid​es.com/index.html (external link)

I am all ears for more sites like this or even better something I don't need web access to use.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 25, 2012 09:52 |  #6

Get an iPod Touch and one, or more of the Audubon (external link) guides for it. You don't need web access and the quality, from what I've seen, look excellent.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sweetlu60
151 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 25, 2012 10:43 |  #7

For field access I would recommend the Apple products or Android Products. The Apps can be set up so that you do not need web access remotely. I use the following apps at this time when I am in the field:

IBird Pro
Audubon Mammals

I also intend to get a few more.

I also have an ebook of the Princeton Field Guides: Mammals of North America

The cost is not too much for the apps and I recommend the apps more than I would the ebook. The ebook I purchased did not have the ability to search like the APPS do. There are other apps for mammals and birds beyond the two I have mentioned.

I personally prefer the Android platform, and have used the two apps on two different Android phones and a new Android quad core tablet. They work great.

The advantage to the apple apps is that they were developed there first, and Green Mountain has created some "regional" apps that include several different subjects of a state or region, versus one app that has just birds, or mammals. They are slowly developing them for Android, but they have all of the larger ones available.

The thing I like about the apps as well are the ability to play sounds. I have used the bird app to pull in birds for a closer look, but you need to think through the ethical discussions on that, and what is legal where you are. For instance, to do that in Yellowstone would be illegal.

Glad I was able to point you in a good direction.

Steven Lewis
Western Skies Photography (external link)

sponsored links

1,211 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for tools to help with species identification
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.