Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 24 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 13:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Zoom in

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 24, 2012 13:03 |  #1

Star trails of a different sort.

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bsqUjddj8qE/Tx7-WEaoIzI/AAAAAAAAGQE/R2_1fcWjpbE/s912/ZoomStarTrails.jpg

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

sponsored links
SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,426 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 24, 2012 13:14 |  #2

Very arty. I like that you've taken a couple of different techniques and created something new.
It's the perfect cover shot for a Mayan 2012 calendar. :)

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

tkerr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 24, 2012 13:45 |  #3

Here is the before and after Photoshop trickery.

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-C2j8orwTpIQ/Tx8JCaukQJI/AAAAAAAAGRQ/0Mclhu6_0b0/s720/zoomingtrailsoforion.gif

Tim Kerr

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,426 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 24, 2012 14:23 |  #4

It sure brings out the CA. :)

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

tkerr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 24, 2012 20:42 |  #5

Tried something slightly different with this one.

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-tkWlT76ddNY/Tx9pDXlnTAI/AAAAAAAAGR4/IT-iMfsiTsU/s720/WhiteOakStarTrails.jpg

Tim Kerr

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 24, 2012 20:49 |  #6

I like the first one better; but looks like you're having fun :)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

tkerr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 24, 2012 20:54 |  #7

Snydremark wrote in post #13763307 (external link)
I like the first one better; but looks like you're having fun :)

Hmm, Really, I thought the first one looks too busy.

Thanks for the feedback though, I do appreciate it.

The only reason I did these is because I was told this effect would be hard to duplicate with Photoshop. It's actually quite easy.

Tim Kerr

roxiedog13
145 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 27, 2012 21:32 |  #8

tkerr wrote in post #13763342 (external link)
Hmm, Really, I thought the first one looks too busy.

Thanks for the feedback though, I do appreciate it.

The only reason I did these is because I was told this effect would be hard to duplicate with Photoshop. It's actually quite easy.

Reminds me of launching into light speed on Star Wars or Star Trek too I guess.

Estorki
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 28, 2012 05:06 |  #9

Excuse me, but, could you explain how you achieve that result?

Thanks

tkerr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 28, 2012 08:07 |  #10

Estorki wrote in post #13782358 (external link)
Excuse me, but, could you explain how you achieve that result?

Thanks

If you want to do it for real you use a zoom lens and zoom in during the exposure.

For these pictures however I used Photoshop CS5.

1.) Open the image make any edits or correction you might usually make to an image. I.e. Sharpen, or NR. Especially, NR. too much noise will only increase as you go when doing this.

2.) Duplicate the Layer.

3.) On the Duplicated Layer, Mask anything in the forground to black so that it won't blur when you create the zoom effect. (this is optional. if you're trying to make it look like you actually dragged the zoom, the foreground would also be blurred/streaked).

4.) Change Layer Blending Mode to "Lighten"
Use the Free Transform in step and repeat mode. Keyboard short cut for that is Ctrl - Alt -T, or (Cmd -Opt -T on a Mac)

5.) Grab on of the corners with your mouse while holding down the Shift and Alt(opt) Keys. (That will keep the adjustment constrained to the center of the image). Move the transform box inward a few pixels. Press the enter key, or click the check mark when done with the transform

6.) Here you can click on the layer thumbnail while holding the Ctrl(Cmd) Key to prevent this next step from making multiple duplicate layers.

7.) While holding down the Shift - Ctrl - Alt keys, press T. Each press of the T while holding the Shift - Ctrl - Alt key will repeat your transform moving it in progressively.

8.) This step isn't necessary, but it might help.
Create another Duplicate of the Original Background Layer and move it to the top of the order. Change the blending mode to "Soft Color" and then adjust the layer opacity until the streaks show through how you like.

Tim Kerr

archer1960
Goldmember
4,931 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 28, 2012 11:30 |  #11

tkerr wrote in post #13782697 (external link)
If you want to do it for real you use a zoom lens and zoom in during the exposure.

At first, I thought that's what you were doing until I noticed that the tree didn't have the trails.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

tkerr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 28, 2012 14:04 |  #12

archer1960 wrote in post #13783541 (external link)
At first, I thought that's what you were doing until I noticed that the tree didn't have the trails.

So far it looks like the skies will be clear for a while tonight. If it stays this way I am going to try it for real. Even with a nice tripod the challenge is going to be zooming in without shaking the camera too much.

Tim Kerr

NovaTJ
552 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 29, 2012 16:30 as a reply to  @ tkerr's post |  #13

I followed your steps Tim, well more or less, but got some fun pictures anyway!

Greg

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Astro-Tech 8" f/4 imaging Newtonian,Baader MPCC,Orion ED 80 APO F7.5,Skywatcher EQ-6 Pro,ASGT, Modified Canon 50D, Meade DSI Guide Camera, 8" SCT dovetail mounted relic, Criterion Dynascope RV-6, modified 300D, custom astro shed,and still just getting started!

tkerr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 29, 2012 16:59 |  #14

NovaTJ wrote in post #13790012 (external link)
I followed your steps Tim, well more or less, but got some fun pictures anyway!

Greg

I didn't get it the first time. Took a few times until I got the trails to look good enough.

It's best to start with a full size, Large Raw image file, and then all it takes is a two or three pixel move. I magnify the image to 200% so I can see the pixels as I make the adjustment. Even at that large you might see a little separation in the stars, but not much. Once you reduce the image size it won't be as noticeable. However, if you want you can use a 2 or 3 pixel Zoom Radial Blur to blur the dots together.

Another thing you can do to give it a little more of a warped look is to use the Pucker Liquify Filter.

Tim Kerr

sponsored links

2,438 views & 0 likes for this thread
Zoom in
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.