Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 24 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 18:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Costa Rica Waterfall

beachbum2277
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 24, 2012 18:15 |  #1

Here's one from my trip to Costa Rica. It's of the Rio Celeste at the Tenorio Volcano. What do you think? Could I have done anything better? Any post-processing suggestions?

(click for larger) (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

Bryan Docter Fine Art Photography - www.bd-photos.com (external link)

My Gear

sponsored links
imports
134 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 24, 2012 18:27 |  #2

Nice!

5D MarkIIGripped
24-105 F4 EF L
16-35mm L
EX-580II flash
85mm 1.8

mdaddyrabbit
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 24, 2012 18:47 |  #3

Composition looks good but the exposure and brightness seems a bit to much for me. The white of the water looks blown out.

Website (external link)

CANON

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 24, 2012 19:55 |  #4

nice, i like the blue in the water

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 25, 2012 08:22 |  #5

Thanks guys. And Rick, that's the actual color of the water in that river! It looked awesome!

My Gear

Jon ­ Clemens
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 25, 2012 09:57 |  #6

As it stands, the falls seem overexposed. What happens when you make the whole thing darker?

In shooting falls there is an inbetween shutter speed that looks awkward. With a short shutter speed you get details, with a ND filter you get the slow speed blending and a smoothness. But, there is that inbetween area that just isn't that pleasing to me.

Canon 7D | 400L | 70-200L | 24-105L | Tokina 11-16
jonclemensphotography.​com

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 25, 2012 10:12 |  #7

I agree with Jon. I know the falls are overexposed, but the darker you make it, the grayer the water looks and therefore doesn't even look real. I didn't want the short shutter speed look though as it seems to harsh. I'm personally ok with the overexposure in the falls as it seems most realistic to me.

Jon Clemens wrote in post #13765800 (external link)
As it stands, the falls seem overexposed. What happens when you make the whole thing darker?

In shooting falls there is an inbetween shutter speed that looks awkward. With a short shutter speed you get details, with a ND filter you get the slow speed blending and a smoothness. But, there is that inbetween area that just isn't that pleasing to me.

My Gear

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 26, 2012 07:46 |  #8

Anyone else have an opinion?

My Gear

cgen1
834 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 26, 2012 16:57 |  #9

beachbum2277 wrote in post #13765862 (external link)
I agree with Jon. I know the falls are overexposed, but the darker you make it, the grayer the water looks and therefore doesn't even look real. I didn't want the short shutter speed look though as it seems to harsh. I'm personally ok with the overexposure in the falls as it seems most realistic to me.

I do like the composition but the overexposed water is not appealing to me as mentioned by others. You mentioned that it looks more realistic to you but if you look at the overexposed areas of the water you will see there is no detail whatsoever. That to me is not real looking. Did you use a ND filter? I often shoot waterfalls and I find that if I shoot during a bright day I need to pair my 8 stop ND filter with my polarizer.It helps with overexposure and you will see a much more pleasing result when you are able to see some detail in the soft flowing water.

Claire
5D Mk2, 24-105L,17-40L, 50 1.8,100 2.8L, 70-200L 4.0 IS, 8-15L fisheye, Gitzo 1541T, Markins Q3 :lol:
Flickr (external link)

MrGreen
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 26, 2012 19:39 |  #10

Bracket your shots and blend the exposure together in Photoshop. That's what you could have done better. I do this for all waterfall shots I take.

My site: www.millionflame.com (external link)
Gear: 7D - Zeikos Grip, Rebel XTi/400D - Opteka Grip, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, EF 50mm f/1.8 (Nifty Fifty), EF-s 55-250mm (Nifty Two-Fifty), Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Σ 150-500mm (Bigmos), Σ 35mm f/1.4, Σ 85mm f/1.4, Feisol CT-3442 CF Tripod, Photo Clam PC-40NS Ball head, 580 EX II Flash

sponsored links

1,390 views & 0 likes for this thread
Costa Rica Waterfall
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.