Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 18:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D worth it for photography only?

gunjanx
58 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 24, 2012 18:21 |  #1

Lets keep Ergonomics, Mega pixel, HD video, 8 frames/sec and Magnesium Alloy body aside..

Is 7D really worth it for photography focused crowd? I mean if we compare core and pure photography features with 40D or 50D, does 7D win on big? Or even when compared to T2i, does it win big?

Would you be ok to have 40D or 50D rather than 7D for pure photography needs? If not, why would you go for 7D?

A Camera, few lenses and enthusiasm!
Flickr (external link) FB Page (external link)

sponsored links
Winwin
702 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 24, 2012 18:23 |  #2

Better AF system, more AF points. Awesome action camera :)

Win.
Canon 5D Mark III, 100 f/2.8L Macro, 50 f/1.8 STM

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 24, 2012 18:24 |  #3

AF.

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

Sam6644
691 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 24, 2012 18:26 |  #4

Well, if we're keeping all of what makes the 7D good aside... then I'd say no, it's not worth it.

Any camera will take a picture. I think it's the "Ergonomics, Mega pixel, HD video, 8 frames/sec and Magnesium Alloy body" type stuff that sets any camera apart from any other camera.

A ferrari and a bike basically do the same thing, if you set aside the engine and features and stuff.

my site (very outdated at this point) (external link)
Follow on Facebook for more regular updates (external link)
and and twitter (external link)
and instagram, too. (external link)
my blog (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 24, 2012 18:36 |  #5

Sam6644 wrote in post #13762526 (external link)
Well, if we're keeping all of what makes the 7D good aside... then I'd say no, it's not worth it.

Any camera will take a picture. I think it's the "Ergonomics, Mega pixel, HD video, 8 frames/sec and Magnesium Alloy body" type stuff that sets any camera apart from any other camera.

A ferrari and a bike basically do the same thing, if you set aside the engine and features and stuff.

Word ;)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

gunjanx
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 24, 2012 18:43 |  #6

Ergonomics - I did not find much difference between 7D and 50D or 40D on this aspect
Magnesium Alloy - Even 50D has it
Mega Pixel - 18 vs 15 of 50D

This leaves us HD video and 8/sec. That's it?

Btw, you cannot compare bike and ferrari they are not apple vs apple.!

arctic98z
187 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 24, 2012 18:43 |  #7

We can't remove some of its pluses then ask how it compares. And why even remove its ergonomics and 8 frames per second from the equation. How do these not pertain to photography?

Sean
5D III | 16-35L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 70-200L IS II | 1.4x II
600EX-RT
flickr (external link)

gunjanx
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 24, 2012 18:46 |  #8

Picture is the product of camera and lens. Thats what I meant to compare. I know it gave lot of fun, but thats what I seriously meant!

shoenberg3
466 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 24, 2012 18:48 |  #9

gunjanx wrote in post #13762493 (external link)
I mean if we compare core and pure photography features with 40D or 50D, does 7D win on big? Or even when compared to T2i, does it win big?

If you are just talking about pure image quality, then no not at all.

Look to full frame cameras (5Dc, 5Dmk2 or IDs series) to improve the image quality, and even these cams don't "win big."

I would argue that you need to move to medium format or large format to "win big" against the T2i in pure image quality.

Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> shoenberg3 | Redbubble (external link)

kevindar
Cream of the Crop
5,050 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 24, 2012 18:49 |  #10

yes, I think ferrari and bike is not as fair of a comparison. but really, take Angelina, take away her face, her lips, her figure, her not annoying voice, and would not you just be happy with Rosanne Barr?

My Flickr (external link)
Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205576

Winwin
702 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 24, 2012 18:53 |  #11

If really in doubt, just buy it and see if you like it. If you don't, sell it and you've had gained first-hand experience with answering your question.

Better yet, buy used and if you sell it, I doubt you'd lose very much, but you'd gain the experience. Personally, I've never really heard of many negative stories about the 7D.

Win.
Canon 5D Mark III, 100 f/2.8L Macro, 50 f/1.8 STM

shoenberg3
466 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 24, 2012 18:57 |  #12

Really it depends on what you shoot.
Do you shoot enough fast moving objects (little kids, sports, wildlife etc) to justify choosing 7D over 5D or even T2i (which would offer essentially same technical image quality)?

For most people including me, the answer is no.

I would also not just take people's responses at face value. Look at their picture portfolio (if they have one at all) and assess where they are coming from.

Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> shoenberg3 | Redbubble (external link)

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 24, 2012 19:08 |  #13

virtually every APS-C body in the Canon lineup has the same sensor, hence the same IQ. There might be a negligible variation but nothing you would see in every day photography or even close scrutiny. The selling points of the 7D are the better af, fps, build quality and a little better weather sealing. If none of those things are necessary for your photography, then the 7D would be a waste of your money, buy a cheaper camera and some nicer glass.

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 24, 2012 19:15 |  #14

Stone 13 wrote in post #13762702 (external link)
virtually every APS-C body in the Canon lineup has the same sensor, hence the same IQ. There might be a negligible variation but nothing you would see in every day photography or even close scrutiny. The selling points of the 7D are the better af, fps, build quality and a little better weather sealing. If none of those things are necessary for your photography, then the 7D would be a waste of your money, buy a cheaper camera and some nicer glass.

exactly.
the 7d will produce better IQ if youre shooting fast action or wildlife because the biggest sensor out there wont make up for missed focus. The AF of the 7d is great. I wish I had one sometimes, but the 60d does well so I dont feel bad most of the time.

My Flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 24, 2012 19:30 |  #15

I picked mine today for the first time in over a month, and all I could think of was how nice it feels, and how well it works.

sponsored links

9,891 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D worth it for photography only?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.