Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 25 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 15:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Improving AI Servo Hit Rate on the 7D

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 25, 2012 15:37 |  #1

Hello to all,

Is it a Hit or Miss, with all the in camera settings what is your best hit rate when you are tracking a player.... if in burst are you getting all your frames in focus or half OOF with the 7D.

Myself I see sometime maybe one or two shoots that are good but the rest is for file 13...

How can we improve?

Thanks,
Joe

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
dwarrenr
Goldmember
1,650 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 25, 2012 15:42 |  #2

Which/what lens are you using Joe? And what environment? AF needs contrast in order to work. The more contrast the more likely it will lock on correctly...the less contrast the less likely.

And some lens work better then others with respect to locking on AF and staying there.

D. Warren Robison
"All guys feel the need to compensate. Most compensate with sports cars. I compensate with a 400mm 2.8"
Flickr (external link) - Home Page (external link) - MaxPreps Gallery - (external link)Razzi (external link)
Equipment List

Fligi7
966 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 25, 2012 18:46 |  #3

It's not that hit and miss when set up properly. There are tons of 7D threads on here with all sorts of suggestions and input for baseline settings on the 7d to get great shots.

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 25, 2012 20:45 |  #4

yeah, I was just thinking in general. with any 7D and lens combo.. but if contast plays more of an effect on the capture then I see what you are saying..
So out doors in better light you will have a better out come than indoors with poor light..
just thinking general shooting, bball , volleyball,etc..

I am getting better results with the help from some follow members here on the forum.
shooting with 7D, 85 1.8 and 135 f2 indoors...

thanks,
Joe

WL x1600 etc.

C_Heath31
409 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 25, 2012 20:54 |  #5

Yep me too. 85mm 1.8 is good and lots of practice.

Canon 7D, 1DmkIII, canon 1.8 prime, 70-200 2.8L

Fligi7
966 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 26, 2012 10:27 |  #6

Joe300 wrote in post #13769227 (external link)
I am getting better results with the help from some follow members here on the forum.
shooting with 7D, 85 1.8 and 135 f2 indoors...

You've got a very good baseline of lenses for shooting indoors, which should help a lot in getting great images from this camera.

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 26, 2012 11:14 |  #7

yeah Thanks! its not a bad lens line up.. I hear others have this same set up and getting great results.

I am thinking my 85 1.8 is a little on the soft side so I am sending that lens into Canon
for a check up.. I am still working on this Ai-servo and tracking my players.
not getting the best of images from the series of burst shots..

I might post some bball this weekend,
thanks,
Joe

WL x1600 etc.

Fligi7
966 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 26, 2012 11:40 |  #8

Just so you're aware, most people don't shoot the 85 wide open, often setting it at f/2 or so to correct for the slight softness and chromatic aberration when it's shot wide open at 1.8. Personally, I don't shoot below f/2.

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 26, 2012 12:44 |  #9

Fligi7,
yeah I know what you mean, even @ f2 & 2.8 I did some indoor lens target testing, still looks soft.
So is it also the same with the 135 f2 dont shoot at f2 and stop down to 2.5 or 2.8.???
Then my iso is going to be up @ 4000 / 6400 in some gyms..

thanks
Joe

WL x1600 etc.

Fligi7
966 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 26, 2012 12:47 |  #10

No, the 135L has no issues whatsoever shooting wide open. In fact, that's one of its claims to fame, its incredibly good IQ wide open. You can easily shoot both those lenses at f/2, but if you have good/better lighting, I'd stop the 85 down even further to 2.2 or so to further help some of its slight IQ issues wider open.

dankopp
192 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 26, 2012 13:35 |  #11

Joe, I find the 7D to be pretty good at catching focus. If I'm not initially focussed properly, the first couple shots in a burst will be OOF but then it quickly catches up. I just need to work on the discipline to get the focus before I press the shutter. I use back-button focussing, which helps a lot.

tstawarz
79 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 06, 2012 12:18 as a reply to  @ dankopp's post |  #12

How do you have your a1 servo tracking priorities set up in your camera. I forget what menu it is in but you can set up your tracking to stay on a subject longer if something or someone gets in the way temporarily. I don't have my camera with me but you can also set up your camera to take focus priority over taking the shot at any cost. This would slow down your FPS a little but your shots should be in focus. These two menu options should help your keeper rate.

5DIII gripped, 24-105L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII, 100-400f 4.5-5.6L IS, 100 f/2.8 Macro,580 EX II Flash

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 06, 2012 13:47 |  #13

tstawarz wrote in post #13835096 (external link)
How do you have your a1 servo tracking priorities set up in your camera. I forget what menu it is in but you can set up your tracking to stay on a subject longer if something or someone gets in the way temporarily. I don't have my camera with me but you can also set up your camera to take focus priority over taking the shot at any cost. This would slow down your FPS a little but your shots should be in focus. These two menu options should help your keeper rate.

Its been a while on this thread, but I seem to be better shots sometimes.?
Maybe it just more USM in the post work..
I have tracking set to the left of center or to the slowest postion.
I cant remember if the other setting is set to focus track or not...

thanks
Joe

WL x1600 etc.

sponsored links

1,999 views & 0 likes for this thread
Improving AI Servo Hit Rate on the 7D
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.