Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 25 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 17:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you trust the "cloud" with your storage?

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 25, 2012 17:32 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I'm once again at the point where I've filled up an entire hard drive and need to choose to either go buy another 1TB, or switch to the increasingly popular cloud storage service offered by many online companies. My site host offers it, my ISP offers it, and 1000 other seemingly trustworthy sites offer it, but I'm hesitant to jump ship from physical storage to online storage, it would save me a lot of money in the long run, though. Has anyone tried cloud storage and had any issues? It seems like, especially with the mega companies like google, apple, or microsoft there would be very little risk since all of their data is stored and copied in so many different locations. Privacy is not a concern for me.

19 year old photographer with a 5D, and some L glass.
500px - Jamesr (external link)
Graphic Design Services Offered

sponsored links
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 25, 2012 18:37 |  #2

Nope, haven't tried it.. and don't plan to. I must admit, i'm generally a late-adopter, but i still don't trust it. In fact, i don't even like wireless.. i guess i'm paranoid in some ways, maybe careless in others. :confused:

Kel
Gear

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 25, 2012 18:45 |  #3

Some thoughts:
- Cloud storage is slow, expensive, and isn't always available
- Hard drives are cheap, fast, and always available.
- You need to have backups of your data offsite. ALL hard drives fail, the only question is when. Fire can destroy onsite backups.
- Remote "cloud" storage is fine for backups, but isn't really practical at the sort of data volumes most people these days have.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

advaitin
Goldmember
4,624 posts
Gallery: 434 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jan 25, 2012 18:56 |  #4

This cloud stuff has had me amused for a while. There ain't no such thing as an amorphous digital storage area drifting in space. All data storage requires a media of some sort--at least for now. It may be spread out over multiple servers so that, if one goes down, there is backup. For that matter I have a RAID sitting next to my computer. I copy everything into it. Then there are 1 and 1.5 TB hard drives, enough that there are two copies of a years worth of shooting. And every so often I get ambitious and make Bluray copies of everything, especially anything that goes into the RAID.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 25, 2012 19:08 |  #5

A fire can take out a RAID array as easily as one disk. Raid is not a backup.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

advaitin
Goldmember
4,624 posts
Gallery: 434 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jan 25, 2012 21:14 |  #6

tim wrote in post #13768735 (external link)

True enough, you do need to store one of your backups in a separate or fireproof location. It is convenient, however to be able to access several years of work without having to open the vault.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 25, 2012 21:39 |  #7

tim wrote in post #13768735 (external link)

Normally you would be right, but it becomes one if it's in a different building from the source. I'm thinking about building up an old PC to be nothing but a RAID host, attached via a Gbit bonded pair, probably 500GB 8 drives.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

mrwalker
274 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 27, 2012 11:00 |  #8

If you really are out of local space then you absolutely have to buy additional hard drives...

Even if you are not worried about privacy you always need local storage (which you can mirror/ backup to the cloud) as your primary.

Amateur, but not Destroying Photography...
Current: T2i/ 550D || EF 85mm 1.8 USM || 430EX II || Powershot SD880 IS || Manfrotto 190 from the last century || Ubuntu 10.04.4, RawTherapee and GIMP
Old: Nikon FM10 (Manual Film SLR) || Nikon E 50mm f1.8 AI || Nikkor 135mm f2.8 AI

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 27, 2012 11:11 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

why though? it's easy to say you need something without any justification.

mmcguire
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 27, 2012 11:38 |  #10

I would trust cloud based storage, but only as a backup. What if the cloud storage company goes belly up? What happens to your photos?

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 27, 2012 12:26 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

well I guess there's that, especially since everyone who was hosting with megaupload just got screwed over.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 27, 2012 12:32 |  #12

Yes, I would trust Amazon or Dropbox or Google or Apple.

That's it though.

I buy HDs in twos.. one for backup and another is a replicant that then gets put into a safe deposit box at my bank.

Beyond that, I take my very best stuff, and that gets put into the cloud, for ease and for extra precaution.

jasonlitka
900 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 27, 2012 16:37 |  #13

tim wrote in post #13768602 (external link)
- Cloud storage is slow, expensive, and isn't always available

No, your internet connection is. Sometimes, depends on the provider and your needs. That hasn't been my experience, unless you mean it's not available when your internet connection isn't working.

- Hard drives are cheap, fast, and always available.

Not currently, floods have driven the prices up. 5400RPM disks are pretty slow. Sure, until they break or your forget it somewhere.

- You need to have backups of your data offsite. ALL hard drives fail, the only question is when. Fire can destroy onsite backups.

100% true. I lost two disks from a SAN just yesterday. The first started making a clicking sound so I replaced it. The second died about 60 seconds later during the RAID reconstruction. These were $1000 15K RPM disks.

- Remote "cloud" storage is fine for backups, but isn't really practical at the sort of data volumes most people these days have.

I disagree. Between my personal needs (Amazon S3 & CrashPlan), my primary job (Amazon S3), and the odd consulting job (Amazon S3 & RackSpace CloudFiles), I've got around 50TiB stored off-site.

Jason Litka | Utter Ramblings (external link)
7D, Rebel T2i, 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 70-300mm f/4-5.6L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 10-22mm USM, 17-85mm IS USM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Speedlite 270EX, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, Fuji X100s on order.

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Jan 27, 2012 16:58 as a reply to  @ jasonlitka's post |  #14

Well, you should have a local hard-drive and a remote backup (as well as your PC hard-drive, which usually is only ~250-500gb). If you fill one (& it's remote backup), simply buy 2 more (1 local/1 backup) and start all over.

Always keep a local and a remote store of everything.

IMO, cloud is only good for sharing stuff, not for safe storage.

You might also keep in mind that technology will continue to advance, and sometime in the future you may have to switch it ALL out.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 29, 2012 14:24 |  #15

jasonlitka wrote in post #13779937 (external link)
No, your internet connection is. Sometimes, depends on the provider and your needs. That hasn't been my experience, unless you mean it's not available when your internet connection isn't working.

Where the bottleneck is isn't that important.

Not currently, floods have driven the prices up. 5400RPM disks are pretty slow. Sure, until they break or your forget it somewhere.

They're still a lot cheaper than online storage, when you include the cost of data transmission. The US current has flat rate data, and fast, but that's changing to pay as you go to be in line with the rest of the world.

I disagree. Between my personal needs (Amazon S3 & CrashPlan), my primary job (Amazon S3), and the odd consulting job (Amazon S3 & RackSpace CloudFiles), I've got around 50TiB stored off-site.

On Amazon S3, 50TB of storage costs $700/month (external link) and at a very optimistic 10Mbps upload would take 462 days to upload (assuming I did my sums right). There are flat rate storage schemes for photos, but you still have to upload them.

My point is while it's possible, it's not very practical yet.

sponsored links

4,506 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you trust the "cloud" with your storage?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.