Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 27 Jan 2012 (Friday) 12:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Natural Looking HDR

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,483 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 06, 2017 12:17 |  #2266

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18235532 (external link)
Love this shot! The unique POV seems to be quite a bit lower than what is normally seen at this spot.

Yeah, Jon gets lost easily.  :p

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Jan 06, 2017 12:18 |  #2267

J-Blake wrote in post #18222565 (external link)
All, thanks so much for the great feedback and overall you're comments mimic my own feelings about each. That said, it's great to hear it from others because sometimes when I'm working at something too long I lose my opinion in the details. Thanks again!

Sure Wilt, here you go. One series SOOC:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by J-Blake in
./showthread.php?p=182​22565&i=i72706565
forum: HDR Creation

Thank you! Now can you post the HDR combo for the same shot (or refer to the post # which has it)?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

J-Blake
Great Googley Moogley!
2,084 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 06, 2017 12:47 |  #2268

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18235532 (external link)
Love this shot! The unique POV seems to be quite a bit lower than what is normally seen at this spot.

Maybe I'm just shorter than most folks? :p I wonder if it's because I used a fisheye?

navydoc wrote in post #18235557 (external link)
Yeah, Jon gets lost easily.  :p

Folks are always telling me to get lost and I'm very accommodating! 8^)

Wilt wrote in post #18235559 (external link)
Thank you! Now can you post the HDR combo for the same shot (or refer to the post # which has it)?

I don't know what you mean by HDR Combo. You originally commented on my photo's: 2240 or 2245. You didn't say which.

Jon
So much to learn, so little time.
A few worthy shots (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 06, 2017 13:16 as a reply to  @ post 18235507 |  #2269

Re: Horseshoe Bend - That's awesome. Inspiring photo. My wife and I want to go there. Can I ask what is the value of manual blending versus PS's native ability to stitch them together? Is it because PS blends different EVs differently and the images won't line up? Also... to ensure they line up, do you record all your actions to apply on the second blend?

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Wilt
41,890 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Jan 06, 2017 20:59 |  #2270

J-Blake wrote in post #18235605 (external link)
I don't know what you mean by HDR Combo. You originally commented on my photo's: 2240 or 2245. You didn't say which.

J-Blake wrote in post #18216840 (external link)
6 shot pano, each with 6 exposures @ 1 EV
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=182​16840&i=i175970834

The arch shown in 2240 vs. 2245 does not seem to appear it the 5 photos you sent earlier (next quoted message)

J-Blake wrote in post #18222565 (external link)
All, thanks so much for the great feedback and overall you're comments mimic my own feelings about each. That said, it's great to hear it from others because sometimes when I'm working at something too long I lose my opinion in the details. Thanks again!

Sure Wilt, here you go. One series SOOC:

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=182​22565&i=i72706565

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

J-Blake
Great Googley Moogley!
2,084 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 06, 2017 23:31 |  #2271

Wilt wrote in post #18236034 (external link)
The arch shown in 2240 vs. 2245 does not seem to appear it the 5 photos you sent earlier (next quoted message)

You're correct, the arch does not appear in the bracket photos I posted for you which are of the left edge of both 2240 & 2245. You asked to see a bracket set of the original photo's and that's what I posted for you. The final photograph is a panorama made up of 6 separate camera setups. I picked the left most setup because it had the most light difference.

Jon

Wilt
41,890 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 06, 2017 23:39 |  #2272

J-Blake wrote in post #18236140 (external link)
You're correct, the arch does not appear in the bracket photos I posted for you which are of the left edge of both 2240 & 2245. You asked to see a bracket set of the original photo's and that's what I posted for you. The final photograph is a panorama made up of 6 separate camera setups. I picked the left most setup because it had the most light difference.

OK, understood. Do you have any HDR vs. originals, where you simply took one framed view rather than a composite of different views?

J-Blake
Great Googley Moogley!
2,084 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 07, 2017 00:07 |  #2273

Nathan wrote in post #18235634 (external link)
Re: Horseshoe Bend - That's awesome. Inspiring photo. My wife and I want to go there. Can I ask what is the value of manual blending versus PS's native ability to stitch them together? Is it because PS blends different EVs differently and the images won't line up? Also... to ensure they line up, do you record all your actions to apply on the second blend?

Thanks Nathan! There are several reasons I prefer manually blending over automated, but the main reason is it yields a more natural result than I'm able to achieve otherwise.

I've found that LR's new Pano feature does a great job at stitching pano's consistently. I've run into different exposures being stitched together separately not lining up before, but I didn't have that problem this time. I even used LR's boundary warp feature on both. It worked very slick and they went right together.

Jon

J-Blake
Great Googley Moogley!
2,084 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 08, 2017 11:10 |  #2274

OK, here's something a bit different but does fall under the natural HDR umbrella. Not exactly natural from a presentation perspective but my interpretation of the title of the group is referring the exposure processing. Forgive me if you disagree.

If you haven't seen one of these before, it's a 360 degree panorama, displayed in planet form. This is the full series of the last shot I posted a couple days ago and if you look on the left side of the image you can see the same Horseshoe Bend scene. I've always wanted to do a planet since I first saw one a few years ago and this is my first attempt. Might as well go big and make it an HDR!

This was processed in PTGUI. The shot is made from 10 shots at 16mm (fisheye). Each shot is a 3 shot bracket at +/- 1EV.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jon

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,705 posts
Gallery: 485 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by C Scott IV. (2 edits in all)

Jan 08, 2017 11:40 |  #2275

J-Blake wrote in post #18237634 (external link)
OK, here's something a bit different but does fall under the natural HDR umbrella. Not exactly natural from a presentation perspective but my interpretation of the title of the group is referring the exposure processing. Forgive me if you disagree.

If you haven't seen one of these before, it's a 360 degree panorama, displayed in planet form. This is the full series of the last shot I posted a couple days ago and if you look on the left side of the image you can see the same Horseshoe Bend scene. I've always wanted to do a planet since I first saw one a few years ago and this is my first attempt. Might as well go big and make it an HDR!

This was processed in PTGUI. The shot is made from 10 shots at 16mm (fisheye). Each shot is a 3 shot bracket at +/- 1EV.

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=182​37634&i=i24584597

Very cool! That is one big backpack and it sports an alien shadow! Or do ghosts cast shadows?

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

bpiper7
Goldmember
1,240 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 08, 2017 12:22 |  #2276

J-Blake wrote in post #18237634 (external link)

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=182​37634&i=i24584597

Vertigo.

Bill

billpiperphotos.com (external link)
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 09, 2017 12:41 as a reply to  @ J-Blake's post |  #2277

Thanks. I recently picked up the PS/LR CC bundle and I haven't had occasion to stitch using LR yet. Good to know!

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

danialsturge
893 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Jan 11, 2017 03:04 |  #2278

I haven't done HDR in a while, but this scene required it:

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/511/31762146360_d119a079e1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QoHi​x7  (external link) The Great Ridge (external link) by Danial Sturge (external link), on Flickr

And here's a pano from the same location, consists of 5 images each of which is -+1 EV HDR shot:

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/1/561/32137209615_28787df350_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QXRA​LX  (external link) In the Shadow of Mam Tor (external link) by Danial Sturge (external link), on Flickr

X100T | flickr (external link)

Stiga
Cream of the Crop
7,811 posts
Gallery: 889 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Jan 12, 2017 04:22 |  #2279

danialsturge wrote in post #18240752 (external link)
I haven't done HDR in a while, but this scene required it:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QoHi​x7  (external link) The Great Ridge (external link) by Danial Sturge (external link), on Flickr

And here's a pano from the same location, consists of 5 images each of which is -+1 EV HDR shot:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QXRA​LX  (external link) In the Shadow of Mam Tor (external link) by Danial Sturge (external link), on Flickr

The first shot suits me very well but I am not so sure about the pano, it seems to have less impact.

The scene looks very familiar to me; like the Eildon Hills in the Scottish Borders. But I guess you are going to tell me that it is somewhere quite different. The neat flagstones don't look right for The Eildons!

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

danialsturge
893 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Jan 12, 2017 04:56 |  #2280

Stiga wrote in post #18241792 (external link)
The first shot suits me very well but I am not so sure about the pano, it seems to have less impact.

The scene looks very familiar to me; like the Eildon Hills in the Scottish Borders. But I guess you are going to tell me that it is somewhere quite different. The neat flagstones don't look right for The Eildons!

I agree, the scene isn't best represented by a pano - first shot is my favourite too.

It's from Mam Tor in the Peak District, only 15 mile from where I live. Heading back tomorrow as hopefully there will be plenty of snow on the ground and a bit more mood in the sky!

X100T | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

926,480 views & 3,677 likes for this thread
Natural Looking HDR
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.