Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 27 Jan 2012 (Friday) 12:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Natural Looking HDR

CBT
389 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 11, 2019 17:22 |  #3151

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7821/46630242514_a1c6684caf_o.jpg

sponsored links
Stiga
Cream of the Crop
6,610 posts
Gallery: 876 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Mar 25, 2019 07:42 |  #3152

Just playing with table-top on a wet day. I had to use HDR for this one due to the glare on the lid of the can

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Stiga's gallery.

I love SPAM :-)

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

Stiga
Cream of the Crop
6,610 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Apr 04, 2019 04:59 |  #3153

My favourite Ash tree

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Stiga's gallery.

Martin

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,524 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 19, 2019 02:45 |  #3154

Five shots, one stop apart, SNS-HDR software.

A newish part of Pakowhai Country Park, where I often walk with the dog.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47588834232_3d24e57598_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2fvg​drW  (external link) P1021282 Pakowhai SNSHDR(5) (external link) by Rose McGillicuddy (external link), on Flickr

Panasonic G9: Panasonic Vario 14 -140 f/3.5-5.6: Leica 8 -18 f/2.8-4
Canon M5: A variety of Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, prime and zoom lenses, Samyang fisheye, 2 lovely Minolta MD, and just for fun a Helios 44-2 58m.
Rose
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rose_mcgillicud​dy/ (external link)
"Dance among the moonbeams, feel the magic in the air."

Stiga
Cream of the Crop
6,610 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Apr 30, 2019 09:02 |  #3155

The small kik at Gask

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Martin

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 08, 2019 11:34 |  #3156

I am working my way through this thread and I want to start by saying: Wow, what an amazing collection of work spanning so many years. There are a lot of amazing natural HDR images and lots of technical explanations!

Thank you all for creating such an inspirational set of images and helpful content!

A special shout out to @Kirkt for the tutorials over the years.

I am about 2/3rds through looking at the whole thread and am noticing that the software seems to be developing and getting better to use over time, and it makes me want to ask people's opinion on which software should be on the "short list" today as the best options specifically for natural looking HDR?

Ok, I'm going back in time a few years, but I will soon be caught up to the present to learn what the state of the art is today :).

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 09, 2019 15:44 |  #3157

Having worked my way to the end and seeing no responses, I'll take a first crack at making the list myself.

It appears the one response is to use layers in Photoshop and blend them yourself using luminosity masks and such.

Another is to use the HDR tools in PS or LR.

If you are on a Windows platform, SNS HDR seems popular although recent comment considers it slow compared to the state of the art. It seems to get the least complaints for handling color.

Photomatix seems to have been a consistently solid choice over the years, with strong ability to handle ghosts. There are some complaints about color, especially red.

Aurora 2019 has gained a sudden upsurge in interest for the Aurora HDR product.

HDR projects doesn't come up much. Kirkt sounded enthusiastic early on. Not sure if that lasted. It appears to have a Mac version now (HDR Projects 2018).

HDR Mechanic appears to have a few enthusiasts.

Others have come up but have either dropped from view or only had a few supporters and fewer examples.

This is just based on my reading of the thread. Most of my experience is with what can be done in Adobe products. I did download the Lite version of SNS to try on an old windows machine, but my real machine is a Mac. I have tried other products briefly in past years.

Looking forward to corrections, suggestions or other feedback. Ultimately I will download and try products for myself, but I would prefer to limit the number I try so it doesn't take months ;).

As I said, I'm mostly after natural looking HDR images.

If I wanted the "HDR Look," I'm pretty sure I could get there with tools I already have ;).

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 09, 2019 16:37 |  #3158

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that SNS HDR supports the Fuji GFX 50r RAW files!

C&C always welcomed...

russellsnr2
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Mar 2005

May 10, 2019 01:17 as a reply to  @ F2Bthere's post |  #3159

Not doing a lot of HDR images now but my go to software is still SNS-HDR for natural looking images but like all software you still need to tweak an image, JMO but don't waste money on a hat full of differant softwares just choose the one you feel gives the results closest to what you want. Russ.

Many Thanks,
Russell.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,783 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 1 month ago by kirkt.

May 10, 2019 09:09 |  #3160

F2Bthere wrote in post #18858920 (external link)
Having worked my way to the end and seeing no responses, I'll take a first crack at making the list myself.

Your assessment is pretty accurate. I think it boils down to two general aspects of whatever software you choose:

1) The merge process and resulting output
2) The toning or tone mapping process and resulting output.

Some applications are really good at merging (alignment, ghosting, ability to enter manual EV intervals for the image set, batch processing, etc.) and some, not so much. One of the features that often gets overlooked, and may or may not be important to you specifically, is the ability to save a true 32bit HDR image file (in EXR, HDR or similar file format) from within the software following the merge. This step is, interestingly, not available or not applicable to some "HDR" software. My foray into the HDR photography universe started from working with 32bit files for use in CG and image-based lighting, so I assumed that HDR meant producing files whose data were scene-referred and boundless, ie, HDR. However, some applications do not really expose the HDR side of things to the user and pretty much assume that the user is interested in producing a toned, LDR image within the application.

Some applications are tuned to give a photographic, natural tone mapped output, with controls to alter that toning to suit the taste of the user; some applications provide stronger tone mapping and, for certain types of scenes (i.e., actual HDR scenes), it can be a struggle to get tonal compression that appears convincing, meaning natural and similar to what the user saw when they were looking at the scene. With today's sensors and raw converters being so much better than when this thread was started, the line between a single exposure capture and true HDR images is becoming blurred more and more.

Fortunately, or maybe not (?), there are several ways to approach producing HDR data for LDR output and, chances are, you can find a workflow that suits your preferences. Maybe you want a single application that does it all, and produces an LDR output that is more or less finished; maybe you prefer to produce a 32bit HDR file that is free from ghosting with the intent of working in a 32bit workflow for compositing or for being able to manipulate the scene in a linear light way; or maybe it is a mix of these or something completely different!

Fortunately, there are choices and I try to keep up with what is out there and revisit new or updated versions of things as they appear. If the application is PC-only, like SNS-HDR, I have no trouble running it on my Mac via Parallels.

Have fun experimenting with capturing the scene completely and producing an image as you saw it or envisioned it. An HDR workflow may be an important part of that process and there are plenty of choices for you to experiment with. As a recent convert to Fujifilm (X-H1) from a few decades of Canon (all of the 5D's), I am more and more impressed by Fujifilm's innovation, and their current push to develop medium format as the new, consumer-accessible FF.

Kirk

Kirk
---

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,783 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 10, 2019 09:15 |  #3161

F2Bthere wrote in post #18858402 (external link)
I am working my way through this thread and I want to start by saying: Wow, what an amazing collection of work spanning so many years. There are a lot of amazing natural HDR images and lots of technical explanations!

Thank you all for creating such an inspirational set of images and helpful content!

A special shout out to @Kirkt for the tutorials over the years.

I am about 2/3rds through looking at the whole thread and am noticing that the software seems to be developing and getting better to use over time, and it makes me want to ask people's opinion on which software should be on the "short list" today as the best options specifically for natural looking HDR?

Ok, I'm going back in time a few years, but I will soon be caught up to the present to learn what the state of the art is today :).

Hey! How about that. You're welcome.

Kirk

Kirk
---

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,795 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

May 10, 2019 09:24 |  #3162

kirkt wrote in post #18859295 (external link)
Your assessment is pretty accurate. I think it boils down to two general aspects of whatever software you choose:

1) The merge process and resulting output
2) The toning or tone mapping process and resulting output.

Some applications are really good at merging (alignment, ghosting, ability to enter manual EV intervals for the image set, batch processing, etc.) and some, not so much. One of the features that often gets overlooked, and may or may not be important to you specifically, is the ability to save a true 32bit HDR image file (in EXR, HDR or similar file format) from within the software following the merge. This step is, interestingly, not available or not applicable to some "HDR" software. My foray into the HDR photography universe started from working with 32bit files for use in CG and image-based lighting, so I assumed that HDR meant producing files whose data were scene-referred and boundless, ie, HDR. However, some applications do not really expose the HDR side of things to the user and pretty much assume that the user is interested in producing a toned, LDR image within the application.

Some applications are tuned to give a photographic, natural tone mapped output, with controls to alter that toning to suit the taste of the user; some applications provide stronger tone mapping and, for certain types of scenes (i.e., actual HDR scenes), it can be a struggle to get tonal compression that appears convincing, meaning natural and similar to what the user saw when they were looking at the scene. With today's sensors and raw converters being so much better than when this thread was started, the line between a single exposure capture and true HDR images is becoming blurred more and more.

Fortunately, or maybe not (?), there are several ways to approach producing HDR data for LDR output and, chances are, you can find a workflow that suits your preferences. Maybe you want a single application that does it all, and produces an LDR output that is more or less finished; maybe you prefer to produce a 32bit HDR file that is free from ghosting with the intent of working in a 32bit workflow for compositing or for being able to manipulate the scene in a linear light way; or maybe it is a mix of these or something completely different!

Fortunately, there are choices and I try to keep up with what is out there and revisit new or updated versions of things as they appear. If the application is PC-only, like SNS-HDR, I have no trouble running it on my Mac via Parallels.

Have fun experimenting with capturing the scene completely and producing an image as you saw it or envisioned it. An HDR workflow may be an important part of that process and there are plenty of choices for you to experiment with. As a recent convert to Fujifilm (X-H1) from a few decades of Canon (all of the 5D's), I am more and more impressed by Fujifilm's innovation, and their current push to develop medium format as the new, consumer-accessible FF.

Kirk

A bunch of tutorials on 32bit HDR files

https://www.youtube.co​m …s?search_query=​32+bit+hdr (external link)

My Gear flickr (external link)

setagate
708 posts
Gallery: 358 photos
Joined Dec 2005

May 24, 2019 10:14 |  #3163

Beautiful photos! All three of them.

Bob

Stiga
Cream of the Crop
6,610 posts
Joined Dec 2015

May 25, 2019 09:31 |  #3164

setagate wrote in post #18866615 (external link)
Beautiful photos! All three of them.

Bob, many thanks for your kind words.

Sorry, I'm late replying but my computer crashed this week and most of my time has been spent reloading and recovering. Fortunately I have only lost processed images :-)

Martin

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 25, 2019 23:07 |  #3165

Stiga wrote in post #18867081 (external link)
Bob, many thanks for your kind words.

Sorry, I'm late replying but my computer crashed this week and most of my time has been spent reloading and recovering. Fortunately I have only lost processed images :-)

Sorry you had to go through that. At least it wasn't as bad as it might have been.

C&C always welcomed...

sponsored links

756,492 views & 3,356 likes for this thread
Natural Looking HDR
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.