Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 31 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 10:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problem with images looking too red

fidelis
425 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 31, 2012 10:21 |  #1

I have been editing some images recently & seem to find that they look good in Photoshop but my skin tones seem to turn red once viewed out of there & I'm getting really frustrated by it. I presume it has something to do with colour space/calibration but wondering if anyone could offer some practical advice to help remedy the problem, thanks!

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 31, 2012 10:40 |  #2

Well, to start with, you can check your color space of an open image by going to Edit/Convert to Profile dialog. You should see the Source, which is the color space of the particular image as converted by a Raw processor or by your camera if shooting jpegs.

The "standard" color space for the Web and other "sharing" approaches is sRGB because it's "universal". So, if your image is any other color space, such as Adobe RGB (aRGB) or ProPhoto RGB, then you will want to convert it to sRGB before putting it out as a "public" jpeg.

You can do the conversion using the Convert to Profile dialog, or in Photoshop you can use the Save for Web function -- it has a color space value which you should make sure is set to sRGB.

Also, to make things more compatible with more apps/viewers, you can ensure that the option to embed the color space is checked.

If you do decide to use the Convert to Profile function and use Save As, there is also an option there to embed the color space info.

You might want to examine your "working color space" settings in Photoshop, using the Edit/Color Settings dialog. Again, the current color space could be one of several. If all your images will be for the Web, shared with family/friends/clients​, and printing at outside labs, setting your working color space to sRGB would be fitting. Then, examine the "Color Management Policies" in that dialog for how to handle images that don't have the same color space as your "working color space".

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 31, 2012 10:41 |  #3

Away from software like Photoshop (think Outlook Express etc), you have no control how images will look on other peoples monitors.

Yes, you can and should profile your own monitor using kit like the Eye-One display 2 calibration device, but that still does not control how an image will appear to others. However, if you have post processed an image so that it looks right on an un-calibrated monitor, then no one can ever know how it will appear because you could have done some very strange things to the image without realising it.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

fidelis
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 31, 2012 11:09 |  #4

Thank you for the advice, I've already checked my colour space of the problem image & it is SRGB. I have also checked my working colour space in photoshop as you suggested Tony, it was set to North America General Purpose 2 (?) Should this be set to monitor colour? I just set it to monitor colour & now the image is looking as red as what it does once it's out of photoshop. Maybe that was my problem?

Thanks also for the info you gave me Lowner, I do have a Spyder3 that calibrates my monitor.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 31, 2012 11:27 |  #5

Well, the " North America General Purpose 2" setting is a Preset that should include setting your RGB "working space" to sRGB. That's the proper space for public output. You don't want to set anything to your monitor profile. Photoshop uses your monitor profile, but it's not for an image-related setting.

As to why your images look "reddish" outside of Photoshop, well, there are a wide variety of image viewers, and most of them are not "color managed" and have different ways of displaying images. I've seen some pretty strange behavior from "generic" image viewers, and so I don't use them for judging image color.

The one "exception" is that when I upload an image to the Web, I want it to look "reasonable" when using a common Web browser. So I use my Windows Internet Explorer, which is not color managed but does a "decent" job with sRGB images.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 31, 2012 12:08 |  #6

Something I've played with that possibly has relevance:

I set my PS Color Space to Prophoto RGB for something I was doing.

Then, I did a screen capture for some reason and then pasted the image into a New Photoshop document, and the image has the horrible reddish cast. And then, when I save the image and upload it a browser, it looks fine in IE but not in Firefox, meaning that something is wrong with the Color Space.

So, I played around a bit. I tried converting the profile of the document/image to sRGB -- Photoshop "sees" that it's ProPhoto RGB. Anyway doing a Convert to Profile didn't "work", but do you know what did? Doing an Assign Profile worked!

So, what happended: I had set my PS Color Space to Prophoto RGB and so the new document I created to paste the screenshot into was in the ProPhoto color space. Then, when I pasted the screenshot in, the actual image was in a different color space (I assume that of my monitor) and the two didn't "play well together"!!

But as soon as I did the "Assign" function the image looked just fine (and would in a color-managed browser)!

Now, the "new document", which is the Background layer, was not converted to sRGB. In other words, if I was to try to create some kind of composite, one with a ProPhoto image and with another image with a different profile, then i'd have to do some "housecleaning" by making sure everything was using the same color space and, for the Web, converting it all to sRGB. But, in this case, more work was required than just converting -- I could have cranked down on the Reds, but Assigning a profile worked quickly.

As an aside, the reason why assigning the sRGB space worked well is because I'm working with a relatively cheap new monitor (replacing my old "good" monitor) and for now I haven't calibrated it, I just adjusted the Brightness down to a decent level -- my colors look reasonable. So, it's using a default system display profile, which obviously is derived from sRGB, rather than a "custom" profile.

Now,

Tony

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 31, 2012 12:33 |  #7

fidelis,

Do not set the colour space to Monitor colour space. Use sRGB or AdobeRGB only. I use AdobeRGB for all my home printed images, converting them to sRGB only if and when I want to post them on the web.

I have noticed that mixing up these two colour spaces, trying to print using one when the image is still in the other, can produce a very red colour cast.

Richard

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 31, 2012 12:41 |  #8

Lowner wrote in post #13800830 (external link)
fidelis,

Do not set the colour space to Monitor colour space. Use sRGB or AdobeRGB only. I use AdobeRGB for all my home printed images, converting them to sRGB only if and when I want to post them on the web.

I have noticed that mixing up these two colour spaces, trying to print using one when the image is still in the other, can produce a very red colour cast.

Richard, maybe you can explaing the bold part? If you have an image in aRGB and then convert it to sRGB, and then print directly from Photoshop, well, you be letting Photoshop just print the image "as is", meaning the image as converted to the sRGB color space...so I'm not "getting" what you're saying here, except that I understand why when doing home printing you may want to use the aRGB color space...

Tony

fidelis
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 31, 2012 13:05 |  #9

Thanks for the info Tony!

Ok I'm going to post my colour settings in Adobe Photoshop, could you let me know if these sound right please?

Colour Settings

Setting: North America General Purpose 2

Working Spaces:
RGB: SRGB IEC61966-2.1
CMYK: U.S Web coated (SWOP) v2
Gray: Dot Gain 20%
Spot: Dot Grain 20%

Richard I do convert my images to SRGB if posting on the web.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 31, 2012 13:48 |  #10

OK, the "problem" with the "North America General Purpose 2" Preset is that it essentially takes away all Color Management Policies options. It sets sRGB as the "working" RGB color space, and it assumes that any image you edit will "play along" with that color space. Look at the options and you will see all warnings disabled and the other options (to convert) are also "inactive".

However, whether that matters to you is up to you.

One area where it could matter is a project like I referred to above, a layered "document" with its own color space and then incorporating images, whether blended or as a composite, that have different color spaces. As I explained, bringing an sRGB image into a ProPhotoRGB document had a real problem with the colors:)! And, doing a "blanket conversion" didn't work! And, doing a "Save As" or Save for Web, which would "embed" the profile, would embed the dyusfunctional profile, whether it was sRGB or ProPhotoRGB!

So, again, how much would this matter to you in "real world" practice?

Tony

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 31, 2012 13:53 |  #11

Tony,

I've not properly understood it in my own mind so I cannot spell out which way round it occurs. All I know is that if I don't pay attention when I'm printing I can waste an expensive A3+ sheet of paper. Its as I said, a red caste over everything.

Richard

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 31, 2012 13:55 |  #12

Lowner wrote in post #13801215 (external link)
Tony,

I've not properly understood it in my own mind so I cannot spell out which way round it occurs. All I know is that if I don't pay attention when I'm printing I can waste an expensive A3+ sheet of paper. Its as I said, a red caste over everything.

Well, interesting -- all this stuff sometimes seems to raise more questions than it asks/answers:)!

Tony

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 31, 2012 14:01 |  #13

Tony,

Tell me about it. The other thread discussing the Candy Red that Kirk has contributed so much to has me totally confused and I need to read it through slowly and carefully.

Richard

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 31, 2012 14:04 |  #14

Yeah, crazy stuff:)!

Tony

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 05, 2012 07:20 |  #15

tonylong wrote in post #13801184 (external link)
However, whether that matters to you is up to you.

And to help make an informed choice: http://www.getcolorman​aged.com …nagement/pscolo​rsettings/ (external link)

Also: http://www.getcolorman​aged.com/color-management/saveforweb/ (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

2,305 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problem with images looking too red
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.