Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 16:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

dolica CF tripod @ costco

Joeymozzer
307 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 29, 2012 19:05 |  #121

OK just ordered mine

My Camera: Canon T1i
Lens: (canon kit) EFS 18-55*** EF 50mm F1.8 ll***EFS 55-250
Accesories: Lowepro Sling Shot 102 AW Bag***Dolica ZX600B103 Tripod***RocketFish CP/ND Filters (52mm/58mm)***430ex II ***
My Shots: Still Learning :) (external link)

sponsored links
Geckotek
193 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 29, 2012 20:31 |  #122

spyderpig wrote in post #14783059 (external link)
I know. I've been waiting for people to respond to your question and was thinking maybe their costco's don't have the sunpaks?

Or maybe none of us have experience with both. If not, any advice offered isn't of much use.

5D Mark II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 40 Pancake | 50 1.8 II
Photoshelter (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

spyderpig
193 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 29, 2012 22:17 |  #123

Geckotek wrote in post #14787670 (external link)
Or maybe none of us have experience with both. If not, any advice offered isn't of much use.

But yet, lots of people here have offered the advice that the dolica is great, but great compared to what? :)

I would just like to know how flexy the legs are compared to the more expensive carbon fiber travel tripods. Is it on par with them, or subpar?

T2i | Canon 15-85mm | kit 55-250mm | Sigma 80-400mm
Harsh and honest C & C is ALWAYS encouraged for any of my photos.

Geckotek
193 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 29, 2012 23:09 |  #124

spyderpig wrote in post #14788225 (external link)
But yet, lots of people here have offered the advice that the dolica is great, but great compared to what? :)

I would just like to know how flexy the legs are compared to the more expensive carbon fiber travel tripods. Is it on par with them, or subpar?

I'm guessing people with more expensive CF tripods didn't buy one. Tell you what, when I get my Induro tripod (aluminum) back from my family and have it here to compare, I'll be sure to post that comparison. In the meantime, you should assume that people's lack of response means the really don't feel that they have any valid input to provide.

Photoshelter (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

autobotguy
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 29, 2012 23:44 |  #125

I can push down on my Dolica CF tripod with it fully extended, moving my hand around and the legs don't wobble at all. Its very sturdy and surprisingly light.

Oh....and for those of you who didn't read the directions, the head comes off by simply locking the pan section down and turning the whole head counter clockwise. Standard head threading on the legs. :)

- autobotguy -
Canon T3i

Geckotek
193 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 30, 2012 00:12 |  #126

autobotguy wrote in post #14788512 (external link)
Oh....and for those of you who didn't read the directions, the head comes off by simply locking the pan section down and turning the whole head counter clockwise. Standard head threading on the legs. :)

I assume you need to unlock the 3 screws underneath first...right?

autobotguy
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 30, 2012 02:59 |  #127

Geckotek wrote in post #14788613 (external link)
I assume you need to unlock the 3 screws underneath first...right?

Nope....but you have to firmly twist it to take it off. Its tight.

- autobotguy -
Canon T3i

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 30, 2012 09:39 |  #128

Anyone know what is the lowest you can go on the Tripod?

Does the center column has 2 sections so that it can be remove. The spec. says minimum operating height is 21". That is not very low.

Can I replace the ballhead with my Manfrotto 426RC2?

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

nasua
250 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 30, 2012 11:20 as a reply to  @ Tigerkn's post |  #129

Still have a Costco Cash Card burning a hole in my wallet, so I guess I'll have to go ahead and order one. Think my expectations are realistic. It's not an $80 Gitzo w/RRS head, but good enough for light duty use. Suspect it's be better than the (IMO) not too impressive $100 CF Sunpak w/pistol grip head Costco is currently selling in store. Can replace the head with something "better" if needed. If it's junk, Costco will take it back.

autobotguy
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 30, 2012 12:06 |  #130

Tigerkn wrote in post #14789914 (external link)
Anyone know what is the lowest you can go on the Tripod?

Does the center column has 2 sections so that it can be remove. The spec. says minimum operating height is 21". That is not very low.

Can I replace the ballhead with my Manfrotto 426RC2?

At its lowest point with the legs all splayed out and the bottom of the neck extension touching the ground it measures 18" from ground to top of the disconnect plate.

- autobotguy -
Canon T3i

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,463 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 30, 2012 12:54 as a reply to  @ autobotguy's post |  #131

Just ordered one. I hope it's as good as everyone says. We're heading to the UK in September for 10 days and I wasn't looking forward to hoofing my big Manfrotto rig around. This one looks to be much more portable.

Mark J.
Gear

Cliffbsa
215 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 30, 2012 13:17 |  #132

Got mine back before it was on special, have had it for about 2 months. Lightest, strongest tripod I've owned, but that's not saying a whole lot. I think it's well worth the $.

kriptikracing
51 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 01, 2012 15:05 |  #133

whew...mines finally got delivered. Impressions are what everyone else said...nice, light, easy to use. Only downside to mines was a lack of quality control...mines had a quarter inch slice in the foam grip. No biggie for me though. This is my first tripod, so no comparison for me. I strictly bought this one because it was $79.99. Initially I was looking at the manfrotto 055XPROB because the center column goes horizontal...it would have come in handy for macro stuff. However like I said, price is what made my decision easier.

Canon 7D | EF 100mm f/2.8L macro | EF 24-105L | EF 50mm f/1.8 | 430EX II

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 01, 2012 15:12 |  #134

kriptikracing wrote in post #14801019 (external link)
whew...mines finally got delivered. Impressions are what everyone else said...nice, light, easy to use. Only downside to mines was a lack of quality control...mines had a quarter inch slice in the foam grip. No biggie for me though. This is my first tripod, so no comparison for me. I strictly bought this one because it was $79.99. Initially I was looking at the manfrotto 055XPROB because the center column goes horizontal...it would have come in handy for macro stuff. However like I said, price is what made my decision easier.

Bought my wife the CB055PORB (Cabon Fiber version of the 055) with the 486 head (think that the correct model number) and after she picked my Dolica tripod up I oreder her one too, right after being ordered to order her one. It's just so much lighter than the 055, I don't see the us taking the 055 out of the house much anymore.

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

spyderpig
193 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 01, 2012 20:51 |  #135

autobotguy wrote in post #14788512 (external link)
I can push down on my Dolica CF tripod with it fully extended, moving my hand around and the legs don't wobble at all. Its very sturdy and surprisingly light.

Thank you.

T2i | Canon 15-85mm | kit 55-250mm | Sigma 80-400mm
Harsh and honest C & C is ALWAYS encouraged for any of my photos.

sponsored links

69,166 views & 0 likes for this thread
dolica CF tripod @ costco
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.