Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Feb 2012 (Monday) 06:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC USD Announced!!! Stabilized 24-70!

elitejp
Goldmember
1,650 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 03, 2012 01:38 as a reply to  @ post 14370680 |  #1306

Ok im trying out what Kechar did earlier where they purposely made the pic as much out of focus as possible to see about the onion rings
This is using the sigma 24-70 ex dg (non hsm) version
The second shot is just to show what the picture actually is.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i292.photobucke​t.com …mm27/JesseJP/IM​G_5230.jpg (external link)

http://i292.photobucke​t.com …mm27/JesseJP/IM​G_5233.jpg (external link)

^I dont see any here

http://i292.photobucke​t.com …mm27/JesseJP/IM​G_5231.jpg (external link)

http://i292.photobucke​t.com …mm27/JesseJP/IM​G_5232.jpg (external link)

^Given the bright reflection in the above shot i dont know how that could be avoided

Dont know if the test was done right but I personally dont remember seeing the amount of onion from my sigma as im seeing from the tamron.

On the same note that shouldnt be too hard to understand as it seems currently everyone is trying to post onion shots using the tamron.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

sponsored links
DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,828 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

May 03, 2012 01:43 as a reply to  @ elitejp's post |  #1307

^^ now comes the competition to see who has the best onion shot ;) :lol: :lol:

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 03, 2012 03:08 |  #1308

kin2son wrote in post #14370677 (external link)
Tamron is slightly (but clearly) front focused.

I disagree.

The focus field shouldn't be centered on the middle of the center battery, but on its front, because that's what the camera is focusing on: the lettering on the front.

The Canon shot (that is, the second shot), however, is front-focused slightly: the center of the focus field is slightly in front of the front of the center battery.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 03, 2012 07:53 |  #1309

elitejp wrote in post #14371026 (external link)
Ok im trying out what Kechar did earlier where they purposely made the pic as much out of focus as possible to see about the onion rings
This is using the sigma 24-70 ex dg (non hsm) version
The second shot is just to show what the picture actually is.

Dont know if the test was done right but I personally dont remember seeing the amount of onion from my sigma as im seeing from the tamron.

On the same note that shouldnt be too hard to understand as it seems currently everyone is trying to post onion shots using the tamron.

I think your test is a bit flawed.
In the first shot you have nothing shining to cause the bokeh balls, onion or not.
In the second you have a few bright glare points.

The shots I took had many many glare points to create many many bokeh balls.
Where I was standing the car was literally blinding me with many glare spots that I knew would produce a rich harvest of onions for the coming season!

Your second shot shows some anomalies, but not as bad as the Tamron.
I don't like the aperture blades though.

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

mattmorgan44
644 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 03, 2012 08:04 |  #1310

thatkatmat wrote in post #14369032 (external link)
I like to think of them as Lizard Eyeballs rather than Onions

bw! :lol:

5D Mark II | 7D
24L II | 50L | 100L Macro
Some other stuff
Can't find a Lee filter holder? - Cokin Modification for wide angle lenses

DDL
438 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 03, 2012 08:48 |  #1311

Sunthing Productions wrote in post #14370520 (external link)
This test was done from about a foot away, with the body rested on the same counter as the batteries. Not sure how relevant such a distance is in a front focus test. Can someone more knowledgeable than myself interpret these results?

For the Tamron the stated minimum focal distance is 38 cm (15 inches); in both cases the test is probably at or slightly less than the MFD. Given that the test doesn't look that different between lenses other than the onion bokeh on the Tamron. It's hard to compare as the focal length and angle between the two shots is different.

For MFA Canon states to do it at 50 x focal length or at the normal distance at which the lens is going to be used.

DDL

GearList

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

May 03, 2012 09:36 as a reply to  @ DDL's post |  #1312

I was set on getting this but the reports of focus issues are of concern. Now I have to decide between getting this or a used but mint 24-70L. I guess I can buy the L now and swap it with this in a few months if reviews are favorable. Decisions, decisions.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

arentol
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 03, 2012 10:23 |  #1313

amirg wrote in post #14372367 (external link)
I was set on getting this but the reports of focus issues are of concern. Now I have to decide between getting this or a used but mint 24-70L for $1100. I guess I can buy the L now and swap it with this in a few months if reviews are favorable. Decisions, decisions.

I believe there is 1 report of an actual focus problem so far, and that is getting returned because it is effectively a full failure. The other "issues" are the kind of thing that will only cause a missed shot at f/2.8, that will happen only rarely, that is only one or two people, and MA will easily fix their "issue".

Get whatever lens you want, but don't think for a second that Canon L lenses will need any less MA than these Tamron lenses. Go to some of the threads about MA and they are chock full of people MA'ing their Canon L's.

It is the same as it has been since I got into photography 3 years ago, Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, all have probably 3-5 times the "issue" rate of Canon on new lenses. That sounds bad until you realize Canon probably has about a 0.3% full failure rate and a 0.5% minor issue rate vs the other three at ~1% full failure and 2% minor issue (on average, with variation among lens models). Given an almost 97% chance your lens will be just fine, and a 6 year warranty if it does have issues (if in the U.S.), the Tamron is really a competitive option on the reliability side of things. Especially this one, which is built WAY tougher than the only other Tamron lens I have, the 28-75. TNG even dropped his right out of the box on a hard floor from about 4 feet and it just laughed it off and kept on trucking. You can't complain about a lens that can do that!

5D3 | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | 16-35L II | TS-E 24L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40 f/2.0 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | MP-E 65 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Fuji X10 | OM-D E-M5 | http://www.mikehjphoto​.com/ (external link)
*****Lenses For Sale (external link)*****

amirg
532 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 03, 2012 10:42 |  #1314

arentol wrote in post #14372629 (external link)
Get whatever lens you want, but don't think for a second that Canon L lenses will need any less MA than these Tamron lenses. Go to some of the threads about MA and they are chock full of people MA'ing their Canon L's.

I agree with what you say in principle and I'm happy both my bodies support AFMA. I guess on some level I was hoping to be able to sell the L with minimal loss in a few months when the dust settles and pay a lower street price for the Tamron if the reviews are good. I think this is a path with less risk compared to buying the Tamron at retail price now and hoping to recoup the money if I don't like it and decide to sell.

Facebook (external link)

gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 03, 2012 10:44 |  #1315

amirg wrote in post #14372367 (external link)
I was set on getting this but the reports of focus issues are of concern. Now I have to decide between getting this or a used but mint 24-70L for $1100. I guess I can buy the L now and swap it with this in a few months if reviews are favorable. Decisions, decisions.

Your must be getting a lot of use out of that Jump to conclusion mat of yours....

Jmantyger
296 posts
Joined May 2007

May 03, 2012 11:19 |  #1316

arentol wrote in post #14372629 (external link)
I believe there is 1 report of an actual focus problem so far, and that is getting returned because it is effectively a full failure. The other "issues" are the kind of thing that will only cause a missed shot at f/2.8, that will happen only rarely, that is only one or two people, and MA will easily fix their "issue".

It is the same as it has been since I got into photography 3 years ago, Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, all have probably 3-5 times the "issue" rate of Canon on new lenses. That sounds bad until you realize Canon probably has about a 0.3% full failure rate and a 0.5% minor issue rate vs the other three at ~1% full failure and 2% minor issue (on average, with variation among lens models). Given an almost 97% chance your lens will be just fine, and a 6 year warranty if it does have issues (if in the U.S.), the Tamron is really a competitive option on the reliability side of things. Especially this one, which is built WAY tougher than the only other Tamron lens I have, the 28-75. TNG even dropped his right out of the box on a hard floor from about 4 feet and it just laughed it off and kept on trucking. You can't complain about a lens that can do that!

Agree 100%. And I think you make some great points.

I think my copy was an aberration and not typical of this lens. It happens.

This is just the 2nd lens I have had focus issues with out of the box and returned.

The first was the 24-70L.

FWIW, my Tamron 28-75 is sharp even at f/2.8.

5D MKIII, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L II f/2.8 IS, 100-400L II, 430 EX III
Feedback

arentol
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 03, 2012 11:57 |  #1317

Jmantyger wrote in post #14372994 (external link)
...FWIW, my Tamron 28-75 is sharp even at f/2.8.

So is mine, but god forbid you say here that the 28-75 is even in the same league as the 24-70L or 24-105L for IQ (or that any TPL other than Zeiss is). You will get reamed a new one in no time. :rolleyes:

In my opinion though all these lenses are easily in the same league on IQ, as long as you are comparing good copies to good copies.

And speaking of the 28-75, I brought my 28-75 to work today along with my 24-70. So if the weather clears up while I am at lunch or after work I will try and get together some Tamron 28-75 vs 24-70 comparison shots to show just what each lens is capable of.

5D3 | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | 16-35L II | TS-E 24L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40 f/2.0 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | MP-E 65 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Fuji X10 | OM-D E-M5 | http://www.mikehjphoto​.com/ (external link)

amirg
532 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 03, 2012 11:59 |  #1318

gotaudi wrote in post #14372751 (external link)
Your must be getting a lot of use out of that Jump to conclusion mat of yours....

Lol, I have been burned by third party stuff before so I rather be safe than sorry. I understand they have come a long way though and the more recent offerings look more promising.

Facebook (external link)

arentol
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 03, 2012 12:09 |  #1319

amirg wrote in post #14373224 (external link)
Lol, I have been burned by third party stuff before so I rather be safe than sorry. I understand they have come a long way though and the more recent offerings look more promising.

I totally understand. Not everyone has been as lucky as I have, getting over a dozen 3rd party lenses that were good to perfect copies. If I had a bad experience once or twice I might not be so fast to jump on stuff like this either. You gotta do what you gotta do to be confident before spending this much money, so no complaints here. My earlier response to you was just because I wanted to make sure it was clear just how few problems there really were so far for everyone reading this thread.

amirg
532 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 03, 2012 12:24 |  #1320

arentol wrote in post #14373291 (external link)
I totally understand. Not everyone has been as lucky as I have, getting over a dozen 3rd party lenses that were good to perfect copies. If I had a bad experience once or twice I might not be so fast to jump on stuff like this either. You gotta do what you gotta do to be confident before spending this much money, so no complaints here. My earlier response to you was just because I wanted to make sure it was clear just how few problems there really were so far for everyone reading this thread.

Understood. I appreciate the response.

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

392,785 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC USD Announced!!! Stabilized 24-70!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.