Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 06 Feb 2012 (Monday) 10:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A stolen moment

Mike ­ Panic
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 06, 2012 10:59 |  #1

Disclaimer: I'm not a wedding photographer. I've done them, I've been a second shooter (which I somewhat enjoy), I'm good at weddings but not great, so please, any feedback, comments & critique you have I'll take. I don't plan on doing them full time but a close friend got married and asked me, and I couldn't say no to this wedding.

After dinner I snuck out to back alley with the bride and groom and got some photos with them - far away from friends and family where they could finally enjoy being with each other and being married:

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/Skhre.jpg

5d2, 100mm f/2 shot at f/2.8 in aperture priority mode & 1/125th, 4000iso, lr3 / silver efx for the b&w conversion. While I did dodge the grooms face to lessen the super harsh back-lit shadow on his face, it's staying and fill flash wasn't an option in this horribly lit, overly orange alley.

MikePanic.com (external link) photography | web design | social media | content creation
CripsyHundos.com (external link) instagram photos for your viewing pleasure

sponsored links
johendley
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 06, 2012 11:44 |  #2

Mike, I like the feel of this alot. It could've used a bit of fill from closer to your direction, to soften the Bride's shadow on the Groom's face, and the Groom's shadow on the wall, but it stands well as it is imo.

Black Boxes. Glass. Illumination. Ideas.

My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johendley/ (external link)
My site http://www.johendleyph​otography.com (external link)
My Blog http://www.tumblr.com/​blog/johendley (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 07, 2012 11:55 |  #3

Not bad. Things I would have done differently: 1) look for something on scene to frame so the top left is 'anchored' 2) position, light so light doesn't cut across the groom's face (I'd even be cool with their faces both being darker, silhouetted)

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

collierportraits
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 07, 2012 12:36 |  #4

I like it. It feels like a stolen moment, which it kinda was, and I love the use of depth here. Probably not the most brilliant image ever but a good, solid image that I'm sure the couple will enjoy! ;)

5D3 | 16-35L | 45 TS-E | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 24-70L | 70-200 II L | 580s | Zero, TT & Crumplers | and an X100! :D

Mike ­ Panic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 07, 2012 12:46 |  #5

Thanks - really appreciate the honest feedback here!

MikePanic.com (external link) photography | web design | social media | content creation
CripsyHundos.com (external link) instagram photos for your viewing pleasure

PointNShoot1
33 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 08, 2012 06:28 |  #6

Not that bad at all. Not that good either. Just the right blend with tiny flaws. I love it though

I like reviewing/criticizing photos :)

pickle1
209 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 08, 2012 17:24 |  #7

Really nice DOF

Owner of Deevers Photography
Stop by and visit deeversphoto.com

chokeslamcena
108 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 09, 2012 19:15 |  #8

It's a nice shot, but your EXIF has me a tad puzzled.

"100mm f/2 shot at f/2.8 in aperture priority mode & 1/125th, 4000iso"

Would it not have made more sense to shoot at f/2 and perhaps 1/80th to try to reduce the ISO/Noise?

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware how easy it is to get caught up in things and not be thinking about details like that and only think about it afterwards, but it just has me a small bit confused, if it was intentional.

Nice capture, all the same. I'd recommend cropping down the top of the image, to make it a bit more panorama-ey. Just enough to get rid of the lightbulb in the centre (takes more attention from them than it gives to the overall photo in my opinion). The dead space above the heads doesn't help (though everyone'll think differently, obviously, so it's your image, and your choice).

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 09, 2012 21:27 |  #9

I like it but there's just too much space up top. I think this would have been better shot closer to the couple and more from the right. I'm not that bothered by the shadow cast by the bride, but yeah, a little bit of flash might have helped.

chokeslamcena wrote in post #13858629 (external link)
Would it not have made more sense to shoot at f/2 and perhaps 1/80th to try to reduce the ISO/Noise?

Why would you shoot a 100mm prime at 1/80? Pretty sure this was hand held. ISO4000 on the 5D2 is nothing. Noise is a non-issue. Also you'd probably want more DOF to get both of them in focus.

chokeslamcena
108 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 09, 2012 23:57 |  #10

nicksan wrote in post #13859402 (external link)
Why would you shoot a 100mm prime at 1/80? Pretty sure this was hand held. ISO400 on the 5D2 is nothing. Noise is a non-issue. Also you'd probably want more DOF to get both of them in focus.

I've often gotten away with 1/50 at 200mm on a crop body without IS. It's not impossible. 1/80 at 100mm on full freame seems easily achievable.

Subject distance in this photo would have them both in focus even at f/1.4. They're on the same focal plane. Look at the wall beside them; it's in focus a good few feet either side of them.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 10, 2012 00:40 |  #11

Well, you've got steadier hands than a lot of people then. I can tell you I'll ever be able to shoot a 200mm lens at 1/50 without IS, a tripod, or just spraying and praying.

Sure, f2 would have gotten the ISO lower, but at ISO4000, my guess is it still looks great.

chokeslamcena
108 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 10, 2012 20:10 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #12

Oh, I'm not denying it's a great shot. The EXIF just threw me a little. I wasn't asking in a condescending prick-like manner, was just generally curious.

You should try handholding 200mm at 1/50 or so. It's not that hard. Fair enough, if you're running around and quickly taking a photo it'll be difficult (unless you burst shoot and hope for the best) but if you take a second to come to a complete stop it's achievable.

Probably depends on how you hold the lens. I have my hand under it, so my finger tips are holding it near the camera body, but my index finger extends out and sits just under the front of the lens. It's quite stable in my opinion.

I find that if the lens is actually IN your hand (ie; touching your palm) it'll be shakier. Everyone's different though.

sponsored links

2,979 views & 0 likes for this thread
A stolen moment
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.