Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Feb 2012 (Monday) 18:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking about getting a 400mm Prime

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 08, 2012 04:40 |  #46

Just be smart about it. Put another lens on and go meter some scenes, see if you can ideally hit 1/640s at an acceptable ISO, or lower shutter speed if you think you'll be OK with it.

sponsored links
nightcat
Goldmember
4,533 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 08, 2012 05:37 |  #47

CheshireCat wrote in post #13845380 (external link)
No, but Canon has:

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ro/ef_200mm_f_2​_8l_ii_usm (external link)

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …70_200mm_f_2_8l​_is_ii_usm (external link)

Note that Canon's MTF are calculated though.

However, real tests from reliable sources say the zoom is a tad better. Copy variation may also come into play here, but the average feeling is the zoom being at least as sharp as the 200/2.8, or better.

I did test the zoom vs my calibrated copy of the 135L, with same results:
https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=9458​34&page=11

The zoom also has better colors than the 135L.

These are both very sharp lenses. I would like to see several controlled tests between the zoom and the prime to see which is sharper. Since I'm not aware of any such tests, I find it interesting when someone says flat out that the zoom is sharper. I don't believe there's many folks who own both lenses to do the tests. One thing I totally agree with you on... most people believe the zoom is sharper based on "average feeling". Long ago people thought the world was flat and that was also based on average feeling. You won't see websites rating lenses based on average feeling. Actual comparison tests trump average feeling every time.

Steve ­ Campbell
449 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 08, 2012 06:37 as a reply to  @ nightcat's post |  #48

A 300 f4 IS with 1.4 TC II is a viable option also. You get 420mm at 5.6 and the option to go to 300mm at f4. Both lenes cost around the same and a used TC runs around $200-$250. I've never used the 400 f5.6 but would like to. It's one lens that is screaming for an update. Add the latest IS to this and the 300 f4, make the price reasonable and I think they would move alot of them. But what do I know?

Gear List
5D Mark III |5D Mark II | 7D | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 24-105 | 17-40 | 300 f2.8L IS |35 1.4L | 50 1.8 | | 24 3.5 TSE II |
Speedlite 430 EX II |

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 08, 2012 16:02 |  #49

nightcat wrote in post #13847592 (external link)
These are both very sharp lenses. I would like to see several controlled tests between the zoom and the prime to see which is sharper. Since I'm not aware of any such tests, I find it interesting when someone says flat out that the zoom is sharper. I don't believe there's many folks who own both lenses to do the tests. One thing I totally agree with you on... most people believe the zoom is sharper based on "average feeling". Long ago people thought the world was flat and that was also based on average feeling. You won't see websites rating lenses based on average feeling. Actual comparison tests trump average feeling every time.

???
More users than you think have both lenses. They can be seen, touched, tested and compared.
I have posted a controlled test vs a Canon-calibrated 135L, as good as it gets.
If you base your opinion on websites (I don't), you will find they all show the zoom being sharper than the 200/2.8.
Before you say all websites received a bad copy of the prime, please compare the MTF on Canon's website. Sure, Canon MTF are computer generated, but this very fact clearly shows the zoom is a much modern optical design, with special glass elements, made to be superior by dewign.
No wonder an actual production copy of the lens will be equal or better than the prime, considering tolerance ranges.

One more thing about the scary "feeling" word. Photography is all about feelings. Lens tests are for nerds (uh... I suppose this proves I am a nerd too ;)).

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

nightcat
Goldmember
4,533 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 08, 2012 18:48 |  #50

C. Cat... I recall the test Bohdank did between the zoom and the 135mm f/2. Certainly both your tests prove the outstanding IQ of of the zoom (although with your test, the results are VERY close!), No doubt it's an incredible lens, but I'd still be interested in seeing a comparison test between the zoom and the 200mm 2.8 prime. If you know of any (and I assume you do) please forward it to me.

Scoro
86 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 08, 2012 18:58 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

400 f2.8 IS Mark II

Disregard Photographs, Acquire Gear
MISC Brah

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 08, 2012 21:04 |  #52

nightcat wrote in post #13852150 (external link)
C. Cat... I recall the test Bohdank did between the zoom and the 135mm f/2. Certainly both your tests prove the outstanding IQ of of the zoom (although with your test, the results are VERY close!), No doubt it's an incredible lens, but I'd still be interested in seeing a comparison test between the zoom and the 200mm 2.8 prime. If you know of any (and I assume you do) please forward it to me.

Here are the plain lenses at 200/2.8. The zoom is better overall:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=3​&APIComp=0 (external link)

Here are the lenses at 400/5.6 (2x III). Zoom is better in the center, prime in the corner:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=7​&APIComp=2 (external link)

You can also switch between 3 different tested copies of the zoom. Chart tests apart, on the same site both lenses are reviewed.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

sponsored links

5,183 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking about getting a 400mm Prime
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.